2015 Pace budget

Busjack

Moving Forward said it was on the website and it is.

The main things I noticed in the capital plans were:

• They are no longer relying on Quinn bond issue money, for such reasons as a tax source had not been found to fund the Illinois Jump Start bonds. Hence, if Pace is going ahead with the South CNG conversion, it apparently has come up with another source, such as federal 5307 money for the 90 buses, unless somehow there is prior year money.
  • 7 "trolleys" are back in the budget, so so much for wrapping buses for that purpose.
  • The RTA is apparently becoming more of a stickler with regard to 10 year state of good repair funding and the operating cost effect of capital projects (such as here the I-90 project and Milwaukee Ave. ART). Thus, while Pace seems in pretty good shape now, the budget projects that in 10 years they will be about $315 million short of the about $654 million required. However, I suppose that is why Metra announced yesterday that they have to raise fares to cover capital bonds.
  • The usual "75" buses are in the 2015 plan, but,at this point (cf. the discussion of 6400s), I don't know where that gets us. The 7 trolleys are included, as well as expansion.
  • Still talking about buying Pace buses for city paratransit instead of paying contractors for cost of capital. We've heard that before.
  • Says under paratransit "Eldorado Buses 2014 147’" but if the numbering means anything, there are now more than 147.

Moving Forward said it was on the website and it is.

• Still talking about buying Pace buses for city paratransit instead of paying contractors for cost of capital. We've heard that before.
  • Says under paratransit "Eldorado Buses 2014 147’" but if the numbering means anything, there are now more than 147.

Somewhat related: Why do the PACE paratransit vans used in Chicago ADA service have the PT-tags for private operators instead of "official" M-tags? I could understand if they those vans were operated by First or MV, but from my recollection, the drivers of those PT-tagged paratransit vans were PACE employees (or they at least wore PACE sleeve badges).

Somewhat related: Why do the PACE paratransit vans used in Chicago ADA service have the PT-tags for private operators instead of "official" M-tags? I could understand if they those vans were operated by First or MV, but from my recollection, the drivers of those PT-tagged paratransit vans were PACE employees (or they at least wore PACE sleeve badges).

Pace makes all contractors have their employees wear sleeve patches. No different in Highland Park,* or when Academy was still doing Pace work. However, the drivers are employees of the contractors. For instance, if you go to the MV garage on Gross Point Road in Niles, there is a sign that they are hiring.

And, irrespective of that, the vehicles have PT tags because Pace does not own them. Pace owns the vehicles in the suburbs, even though all the paratransit vehicles (except in River Division) are driven by employees of contractors.

*If you look real close at the Highland Park badges, they say Highland Park Public Works.

Reading through it a bit more slowly also revealed representations:

• There are supposed to be increases to service on 307, 322, 352, and 364 before the end of 2014.
  • A picture has the caption "Pace will receive delivery of 91 CNG buses in 2015-2016."
  • 895 becomes permanent and weaned from the federal grant.
  • Already had zeroed out Downers Grove, and notes that DG is transferred to the Private Contract Carrier budget.
  • It says that Pace already received the $90 million from Illinois Jobs Now, so maybe that was committed to the CNG buses, but what it is not getting is the $45 million originally promised from Illinois Jump Start (the first bond program that was held up by the Wirtz litigation). Last year's budget assumed the $45 million.
  • The 75 buses will be out of section 5307 federal funds.
  • The repeated picture of 15500 plays tribute to Flo Boone, with the legend on the tank being "Keeping the Pace with Natural Gas." Personally, I drink too much soda, which was a source of both the funds and my gas.
  • Pace has metrics like what CTA published, but on time and accidents are not good compared to the standards.
  • Fox Valley is going to be restructured again.
  • TSP is operational on Washington St. in Lake County.

Wonder what the 2014 improvements are. Schedule adjustments in running time? More off peak? Cant really expand rush without more buses

They didn't give a hint. One might have thought ART on 322, but that's an RTA project. However, with page 66 saying that they need 600 buses for rush hour service, and page 60 saying they have 734 buses (702 if you deduct the trolleys, 1951s and MCIs) I don't think they are short, although this seems like within the normal spare ratio.

Reading through it a bit more slowly also revealed representations:

• Fox Valley is going to be restructured again

So does this mean the restructuring a couple of years ago was botched by the planning department, or have things changed that much in 2 years? Sounds more like an overhaul again instead of a tweaking.

They didn't give a hint. One might have thought ART on 322, but that's an RTA project. However, with page 66 saying that they need 600 buses for rush hour service, and page 60 saying they have 734 buses (702 if you deduct the trolleys, 1951s and MCIs) I don't think they are short, although this seems like within the normal spare ratio.

The budget did mention the #307 being extended south to the new Toyota Park Transit Center...

• Upvote 1

So does this mean the restructuring a couple of years ago was botched by the planning department, or have things changed that much in 2 years? Sounds more like an overhaul again instead of a tweaking.

I would argue that it worked but it can be improved upon.

The budget did mention the #307 being extended south to the new Toyota Park Transit Center...

The 90 on the north end makes the route duplicative. Even with the Transit Center, it'll be a fix anyway.

Wonder what the 2014 improvements are. Schedule adjustments in running time? More off peak? Cant really expand rush without more buses

The November pick will be reflective of those changes. It might free up a bus or two that can be reapplied elsewhere.

Wasn't there a study for fox valley looking at new markets? Recall it was funded by rta. That area has grown so much and expanded this doesn't seem the previous restructuring was a failure but this is looking at expanding into new markets

Bullseye. Western DuPage could use more service.

RTA still doing ART on cermak, Since when? Then why has all the pace discussions including their board presentation about a year ago included cermak asone of the short term corridors?

It's a corridor for potential Pulse service, but beyond that…

The big restructuring was 2005, so unless 10 years is a couple of years

RTA still doing ART on cermak, Since when? Then why has all the pace discussions including their board presentation about a year ago included cermak asone of the short term corridors?

That was stated in past Pace budgets, so if you don't want to take my word for it, look it up yourself.

• I guess that takes care of whoever's comment that there was too much service to Argo (63rd-Archer), but not in the way predicted.
  • I also guess that Pace couldn't justify a transit center for a few soccer games.

Anyone going to the public meetings?

There doesn't seem to be a point, unless you are Heather Armstrong saying there should be more 40 foot buses. They aren't (as of 2015) proposing service cuts or fare hikes.

You might be able to ask something like why the South CNG project is at least a year late, or how they will amend the capital budget to reflect the I-90 project, but I doubt that you'll get an answer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Looks like Pace is proposing cutting back a curtain number of weekday 307 trips to operate only between Harlem/Lake and Argo (63rd/Archer) in an effort to reduce duplication with CTA.

No mention of the extension to Toyota Park, looks like they want this done in time for the March pick.

Looks like Pace is proposing cutting back a curtain number of weekday 307 trips to operate only between Harlem/Lake and Argo (63rd/Archer) in an effort to reduce duplication with CTA.

If correct, remember what I said before about CTA encroaching on Pace territory and how the Harlem ART would have only added to the competition.

But nothing yet on the Passenger Notices page.