CTA 77th garage and south shops

rondell

The Cta keeps buses that are scrapped and buses in the same garages but why leave me some answers

I can't figure out what you are asking, but essentially 77th Garage and South Shops (two different facilities) are on the only plot of land where the bus operation has sufficient property, and, of course, acquired from CSL, where the south side system (Chicago City Railway Co.) had its main shop facility. The north side system (Chicago Railways) had its main facility at West Shops, but apparently whatever is left of that is used by the rapid transit right of way maintenance department.

I can't figure out what you are asking, but essentially 77th Garage and South Shops (two different facilities) are on the only plot of land where the bus operation has sufficient property, and, of course, acquired from CSL, where the south side system (Chicago City Railway Co.) had its main shop facility. The north side system (Chicago Railways) had its main facility at West Shops, but apparently whatever is left of that is used by the rapid transit right of way maintenance department.

Historically, what is now 77th was two separate facilities (we are talking early 1900's). West House had its routes (mostly Wentworth) and crews, while East house had its (mostly State). This was because at the time these were intensely busy routes, and with several hundred crewmen assigned to each, it was thought to be too busy for one administration to watch over. They were merged sometime probably in the 1930's when service citywide was dramatically reduced.

The shops have been there since around 1900. West Shop has been mostly L since the 1950's when CTA started consolidating non-operating locations, though north of Lake St was always L. CTA eliminated what had been the L's track & structures dept yard at Kenton on the Douglas and moved the work there, and I gather the surface track dept ended up there too after 38th/Halsted was shut down until the end of streetcars when the place became all L. The utility dept (trucks) were at Grand and Leavitt until the 1950's until they also ended up at West. Car and bus work ended at West in the very early 60's

Originally the north and west side lines had a main shop at Racine and Clybourn, but that went away in the 1910's.

Quite so most involves the 7500 NABI Series

Are they still there? Reports were that they were hauled out about a year ago, while the lawsuit was being settled. Last time I was by there, I didn't see any. When were you there?