X66 Chicago Avenue Limited Stop Route

Chi-town Kid

What would you guys feel about this addition to the CTA system of limited stop buses? I feel the CTA could use this bus because the 66 is one of the highest ridership routes in the system and serves a busy street with no real rapid transit around. Yes, the Green Line is 1/2 to 1 mile away, but that does not take into account the large industrial district people would have to pass through along with the numerous bad areas to get to the Green line (few Green Line stops, too).

The X-66 could take several different routes including the current 66 route, the Chicago Avenue to the Kennedy Expressway to downtwon route, or the Chicago Avenue to Wells/Orleans route which the 37 currently takes.

So is this idea bad or good? Feedback?

You're right! 250 buses isn't high at all! This could be the reason why the CTA has not implemented this.

My personal route choice for the X66 would be the Chicago Avenue to Wells and Orleans route (the 37 route) because it would serve downtown AND keep traffic off the Kennedy, as Buslover just said.

I tend to agree that ridership would seem to justify the X66, and that routing it on the Kennedy wouldn't make sense, because all that would do is put it into the traffic jam at Hubbard's Cave. I'm surprised that this didn't come up in the West Side restructuring, but maybe the boundary was south of this.

If people from Chicago Ave. want to come dowtown, there are several rapid transit stations at which they can transfer.

As an aside on whether a proposal merits serious consideration, I think we need to take into account the following from the CTA Press Release:

CTA has worked hard over time to use the resources available to design service that is focused on customer needs. ...[T]hrough this substantial investment in additional transit service ..., we expect to see ridership continue to grow.
Thus, I think any proposal must fit into that framework (unless you are one of those advocating that surburbanites pay more taxes because of it) to be considered realistic. This one, and some of RIPTA's comments about Southport seem to meet the test. However, CTA (and the taxpayers) can't afford to put a bus on a street merely becase the street is there.

This is slightly off the original topic, but it actually makes sense to switch the 9 from Ashland to Southport from Belmont to Irving Park. Buses would run at more even intervals (exactly in the middle of the 8 and the 50) and would serve a populated commercial district along with a CTA stop which has nothing currently serving it. However, I do not think Southport should have its own bus IN ADDITION to the 9. Saying that here because the old topic was closed by the moderators.

Maybe there is/isn't enough ridership to justify the X66. However, I am surprised the X20, which seems less needed than the X66 because of the Green Line, got put into implementation before the X66. It might be the Chicago Garage capacity.

I would agree about the X66, only if there are more riders to justify it. Just don't put it on the Kennedy...ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE CONSTRUCTION GOING ON! =p

the X20 was primarily a replacement of the 131 and the 16, since there is a demand for it since they were both cancelled in the late 90's. To not have an X66 is very suprising, but at the same time, both of those routes seem due to limited-stop service anyway.

With regard to RIPTA's comment regarding Southport that maybe the Lincoln should be routed there, you could extend the new Sedgwick from the common point at the Fullerton station.

My objection to rerouting Lincoln is that it would deprive people in the Peterson and North Kedzie area, although it could be argued to reset the 96 Lunt to its old route on North Kedzie.

We are talking about weak lines, in any event.

My objection to rerouting Lincoln is that it would deprive people in the Peterson and North Kedzie area...

Brown line to Kimball. Extend the 82 to Howard if necessary.

I'd be interested to know how many people use the bus on Kedzie north of Devon, since most of the streets east of Kedzie are cul-de-sac'ed and fenced off.

• 3 months later...

With regard to RIPTA's comment regarding Southport that maybe the Lincoln should be routed there, you could extend the new Sedgwick from the common point at the Fullerton station.

Finally, CTA has come close to one of my suggestions, since a proposal is on the agenda to combine Lincoln and Sedgwick. I guess we will have to wait for the Board Presentations to be posted to see the plan.

The 11 Lincoln-Sedgwick will operate via the current 11 route to Fullerton Station, then south via the 37. I forget what street it takes west, but it will wind up at the Clinton Blue Line Station.

The downtown/Blue Line extension will be rush-hours only, roughly mirroring the times that the 37 currently operates. During other times of the day, the route will operate via Sedgwick to North Avenue, then east to Clark, north to LaSalle, and south to North Avenue (and back to Sedgwick).

The 11 Lincoln-Sedgwick will operate via the current 11 route to Fullerton Station, then south via the 37.  I forget what street it takes west, but it will wind up at the Clinton Blue Line Station.

The downtown/Blue Line extension will be rush-hours only, roughly mirroring the times that the 37 currently operates.  During other times of the day, the route will operate via Sedgwick to North Avenue, then east to Clark, north to LaSalle, and south to North Avenue (and back to Sedgwick).

Now that's not a bad idea at all. You're bringing back the classic "90's style" route back downtown, and you're combining two routes which are parallel to each other, enhancing current generators from downtown back to the north side (especially if you prefer the one-seat ride over the brown line).

You got what you wanted!

(From the CTA too!)

No, I didn't say I wanted it. However, it is the first time in at least several years that the CTA has shown a modicum of sense, by eliminating a deadhead (of which trainman might approve). Now, if they could only coordinate with Pace in the west suburbs, instead of bloviate.

Now that's not a bad idea at all. You're bringing back the classic "90's style" route back downtown, and you're combining two routes which are parallel to each other, enhancing current generators from downtown back to the north side (especially if you prefer the one-seat ride over the brown line).

It is also somewhat reminiscent of the old 10 Lincoln Larrabee, except that at that time 10 ran on Larrabee and 37 on Sedgwick. I remember riding 10 after one of the last meals at the Tap Root Pub before urban renewal got it in 1972. News archive.