Route 71

trainman8119

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2017 at 7:20 PM, trainman8119 said:

Are the buses that start/end at 104-Torrence pull-in and pull-outs ? I initially thought they might have been school trips when I first saw them on

the street, but looking at the schedule, there are actually quite a few.

Well as of that day before your post, those are likely full runs as CTA has a notice up that #71 trips past 73rd/Exchange will begin/end at 104th/Torrence due to road construction on Torrence between 106th and 112th. Buses won't be able to use the regular 112th bus terminal until the construction is done.

On 10/3/2017 at 7:20 PM, trainman8119 said:

Are the buses that start/end at 104-Torrence pull-in and pull-outs ? I initially thought they might have been school trips when I first saw them on

the street, but looking at the schedule, there are actually quite a few.

4 hours ago, jajuan said:

Well as of that day before your post, those are likely full runs as CTA has a notice up that #71 trips past 73rd/Exchange will begin/end at 104th/Torrence due to road construction on Torrence between 106th and 112th. Buses won't be able to use the regular 112th bus terminal until the construction is done.

You both are actually right in someway.  The reroute has service ending at 106th but has nothing to do with the schedule (indicated by the fact the schedule is effective from September and lacks a detour notice), the 104th/Torrence runs are pull outs and pull ins that started last year when 71 sent all buses to 112th/Torrence rather than alternating with the 73rd/Exchange terminal

4 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

Route 71 should be straightened out a bit between 71st/Yates and 75th/South Shore. Westbound/Northbound buses should travel via South Shore and 71st instead of taking 75th and Exchange. Eastbound/Southbound buses should travel via 71st, Exchange, 72nd, and South Shore.

Firstly, 72nd is a narrow side street not fit for a CTA bus.  The 75th, Exchange,  73rd routing dates back to the 27 South  Feeding route which ran NB via Exchange, 79th, Cheltenham, Coles, 75th, Exchange, 73rd to Stony Island (Jeffery during owl service).  The 71 71sy route EB ended at 73/Exchange then went West on 73rd, Yates and 71st.  Those 2 routes  got combined into one, though at the time the 27 ran on South Shore between  75th and 67th NB. The short turns on the new combined  route was 73rd/Exchange  and was simpler to keep the full route in line with the short turns.