Gary Public Transportation Corporation

A couple of Gary bus questions:

GPTC had 5 Opuses from 2001 thru 2009. Photo of #2008 exists. Since 2006 was a Chance trolley, were the Opuses 2007-2011?

Alco, for a short time in 2009-2010 they had two 1992 Orions. Obviously because of bus shortage, possibly caused by retirement of the Opuses, but any ideas/photos out there?

I only remember the 35 ft Flxble Metros and the 35 35ft TMC RTS buses.  There also was a cutaway that generally operated on Rt 21, which  was the U,S 30 corridor shuttle, though sometimes operated on Rt 13.  At some point around 2007, some RTS buses in yellow livery began to appear.  By 2010, I believe  the Gilligs started showing up..  I never rode or saw an Opus in Gary.

9 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I only remember the 35 ft Flxble Metros and the 35 35ft TMC RAT buses.  There also was a cutaway that generally operated on Rt 21, which  was the U,S 30 corridor shuttle, though sometimes operated on Rt 13.  At some point around 2007, some ERS buses in yellow livery began to appear.  By 2010, I believe  the Gilligs started showing up..  I never rode or saw an Opus in Gary.

There were some Opi run by GPTC at about the time of the Hammond ones. IIRC, they even had that NIRPC ownership decals (I did not scope them out to the same extent as the Hammond ones). But I remember the short Flxs better.

• 1 year later...
On 1/22/2018 at 8:40 PM, andrethebusman said:

A couple of Gary bus questions:

GPTC had 5 Opuses from 2001 thru 2009. Photo of #2008 exists. Since 2006 was a Chance trolley, were the Opuses 2007-2011?

Alco, for a short time in 2009-2010 they had two 1992 Orions. Obviously because of bus shortage, possibly caused by retirement of the Opuses, but any ideas/photos out there?

I just joined the group and saw this post. I used to work in Gary so I can answer this, if it hasn't already.

The Chance Coach low-floor Opus buses were numbered 2007-2011. I've attached photo of coach 2007 from the factory prior to delivery.

Numbers 2001-2005 were 16-passenger ADA vans that were used on low-ridership routes.

At one point, they did have Orions that was leased from the Utah Transit Agency. But I don't have any photos of it.

Hope this helps

GPTC_Opus_Bus.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/17/2019 at 6:14 PM, andrethebusman said:

Helps a lot! Know numbers for the UTA ones?

We now know the UTA bus number that GPTC leased due to bus shortages. It was 9270.

Thanks to Joseph Chemerys at Rollsign Gallery who also uploaded a photo of the bus.

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/File:Gary_Public_Transportation_Corporation_9270-a.png