Metra Extra Summer Weekend Service

renardo870

Hello. Just wondering on how is ridership doing on the Metra extra summer weekend trains on the BNSF, the RI and the UP-NW. I am aware that this is a trial service that started June 3rd and will end on Labor Day, Sept 2. Is the ridership moderate or heavy enough to extend or make permanent beyond that date? 

1 hour ago, renardo870 said:

Hello. Just wondering on how is ridership doing on the Metra extra summer weekend trains on the BNSF, the RI and the UP-NW. I am aware that this is a trial service that started June 3rd and will end on Labor Day, Sept 2. Is the ridership moderate or heavy enough to extend or make permanent beyond that date? 

I’ve been on the UP-NW a lot and yes it is getting more ridership so it is 75% possibilitiy it will be permanent 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, renardo870 said:

It is probably hit or miss depending on whether there is an event downtown that large numbers of people would attend.

4 hours ago, renardo870 said:

I didn't know the schedules, but they should consider football season as a reason to extend the trial.

• 3 weeks later...

Metra update 

Minor schedule changes on four lines Sept. 3

(August 20, 2019) - 

Metra will introduce new schedules Sept. 3 on four Metra lines that contain mostly minor adjustments and include the continuation of a pilot program that added weekend service on the UP Northwest and BNSF lines. The other two lines with changes are the Rock Island and Heritage Corridor.

A previously announced change to the UP West Line schedule has been cancelled and the current schedule will continue.

A description of the changes to each line is below. The full schedules can be viewed by clicking on the following links: UP Northwest,BNSF, Rock Island and Heritage Corridor

The summer pilot schedules were started in June to give customers more weekend options. On the UP Northwest Line, five new inbound and five new outbound trains were added on Saturdays, and three new inbound and three new outbound trains were added on Sundays/holidays, including new express trains to and from Arlington Heights. On the BNSFLine, a train was added in each direction to Saturday and Sunday schedules.

Those new trains were well-used and Metra now will continue the pilot program until further notice. A similar Saturday pilot program on the Rock Island Line will not be continued this fall but may be reintroduced next summer, although we did retain one new train from that pilot. The weekday changes made to the Rock Island schedule in January will continue.

Other changes are outlined below.

BNSF
•    Train 1255, the 4:50 p.m. departure from Chicago Union Station, will now terminate in Aurora at 6 p.m. The last stop is currently Fairview Avenue at 5:30 p.m. Several customers who board the train at Riverside and other intermediate stations requested this change so they could get to Aurora without transferring to another train.
•    Train 1375, the 4:53 p.m. departure from Union Station, will make its last stop in Hinsdale at 5:30 p.m., instead of Highlands at 5:26 p.m. This change will enable customers who want to travel farther west on the line to transfer to Train 1263, which stops at Hinsdale at 5:37 p.m.
•    Trains 1281 (6:02 p.m. departure from Union Station), 1295 (9:40 p.m. departure from Union Station), 1297 (10:40 p.m. departure from Union Station) and 1294 (9:02 p.m. arrival at Union Station) will have their run times minorly adjusted.

UP Northwest
•    In addition to the continuation of the weekend pilot program, weekend train numbers are being changed for the sake of consistency.

Heritage Corridor
•    All three morning inbound trains will have their scheduled departure times at stations between Joliet and Chicago adjusted to reflect operating conditions, although the departure times from Joliet and arrival times at Union Station will not change.

Rock Island
•    Train 302, the current 7:35 a.m. arrival at LaSalle Street, will now make a stop at 103rd Street, and its scheduled arrival time will change to 7:40 a.m.
•    Train 418, the 3:35 p.m. arrival at LaSalle, will make a flag stop at 35th Street at 3:15 p.m., instead of 3:18 p.m.
•    Train 503, the 7:44 a.m. departure from LaSalle Street, will convert some regular stops to flag stops along the Beverly Branch. (Trains serve flag stops only when customers are visible on the platform or customers on the train tell the conductor they want to get off.)
•    Trains 613 (5:05 p.m. departure from LaSalle), 615 (5:25 p.m. departure), 617 (5:40 p.m. departure) and 619 (5:55 p.m. departure) will have their run times adjusted.
•    The weekend pilot, which added six inbound and six outbound trains on Saturdays (designated with a ‘700’ number), will end. But a new Train 229 will depart from LaSalle at 10 p.m. on Saturdays and make all stops along the Beverly Branch and mainline.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/29/2019 at 9:05 AM, renardo870 said:

Metra update 

Minor schedule changes on four lines Sept. 3

(August 20, 2019) - 

Metra will introduce new schedules Sept. 3 on four Metra lines that contain mostly minor adjustments and include the continuation of a pilot program that added weekend service on the UP Northwest and BNSF lines. The other two lines with changes are the Rock Island and Heritage Corridor.

The summer pilot schedules were started in June to give customers more weekend options. On the UP Northwest Line, five new inbound and five new outbound trains were added on Saturdays, and three new inbound and three new outbound trains were added on Sundays/holidays, including new express trains to and from Arlington Heights. 

Those new trains were well-used and Metra now will continue the pilot program until further notice.

UP Northwest
•    In addition to the continuation of the weekend pilot program, weekend train numbers are being changed for the sake of consistency

Was pleasantly surprised today.  I was expecting 2 hrs gaps between inbound trains on UP-NW.  What I thought would be an hour long wait turned into a 6 minute wait.  I completely forgot about Metra extending the summer pilot.  Good thing for me.  There was a nice little crowd waiting at Arlington Park and as bigger crowd at Arlington Heights.  I would like to see this pilot become permanent,  but this IS the holiday season.  I guess we will see how ridership is after the new year.