New Coaches

trainman8119

Will this organization every get their timing right ???

No riders (and realistically nothing in the near future, if EVER), no money but lets spend what little we have. Unbelievable.

And not only that, but all the unnecessary additions....what garbage !!!

Is new equipment really needed ??? Maybe, but the timing of this couldn't be worse, especially with yards full of idle equipment.

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20210113/metra-cars-with-cupholders-and-video-screens-are-coming

54 minutes ago, trainman8119 said:

Will this organization every get their timing right ???

No riders (and realistically nothing in the near future, if EVER), no money but lets spend what little we have. Unbelievable.

And not only that, but all the unnecessary additions....what garbage !!!

Is new equipment really needed ??? Maybe, but the timing of this couldn't be worse, especially with yards full of idle equipment.

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20210113/metra-cars-with-cupholders-and-video-screens-are-coming

Isnt that federal money they are spending? Usually the capital budgets have more money in them than the operating budgets. How many cars are in the metra fleet? Metra will probably have to lower fares to get more ridership. The way they made it sound, sounds like they want to phase out a few ticket agents with the new cars. Transit in general will have to cut some way whether its operating or manpower. That will be the only way most will survive. Maybe the feds can give some more pandemic assistance. That will keep things around during these rough times

They are going to need new coaches anyways. So much of the fleet is obsolete. I'd imagine ridership will rebound by the time these start rolling in. From the Metra press release the base 200 new cars won't even be delivered until 2025-2027. (Deliveries starting 42 months after contract execution, and continuing for 30 months).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tcmetro said:

They are going to need new coaches anyways. So much of the fleet is obsolete. I'd imagine ridership will rebound by the time these start rolling in. From the Metra press release the base 200 new cars won't even be delivered until 2025-2027. (Deliveries starting 42 months after contract execution, and continuing for 30 months).

This was going to be my point; what's the average age of the fleet anyway? Metra will need new coaches eventually, better to do it now and on the federal dime, they'll probably last longer if purchased now anyhow

EDIT: if i did my calculations right, I believe the average fleet age for the current coaches is 33 years (30 years with the ME coaches)