CTA RTS on Pace Line

Nabinut

Thats normal, albeit in the weirdest way. Some of those 290 runs will only go to McCormick, and then head southbound to North Park. Keep in mind that the route also runs additional 290 buses during the Christmas Holiday season to Lincolnwood Town Center.

But for what you saw, its practically normal.

If you want a quick giggle listen to this...

A few years prior to the building of the current Gateway Center/Howard bus terminal I got a CTA operated 290 intending to get off at Rogers and Winchester (about 1900 W and 7300 N in Chicago). The driver had never done that run and went south on Clark to Touhy and then west on Touhy. I had to walk an additional block from Touhy and Damen.

Gene King

Originally 96 was the CTA Touhy route, then combined with Lunt, and later the Touhy portion was abandoned to Nortran/Pace. See Chicago Transit and Railfan for history. As others noted, CTA still runs a few "garage trips."

Is there adequate revenue for Pace to continue running the short turns on 290 and 353, where the originating trips are in the city and only the terminals (Lincolnwood Town Center and 136th St.-Riverdale) are in the suburbs?

I can't speak to the 353 situation [although I grew up in Chatham served by 353's Safeway predecessor]. When moved to Rogers Park in 1979 it was served by Nortran routes 90 and 91 and CTA route 96. Pace consolidated (phased out?) route 91 (later 291) and took over the Rogers Ave portion of CTA route 96. Recently, it appears that to save revenue Pace has reduce the number of route 290 buses going to Park Ridge or Cumberland L station and turned more at Lincolnwood Town Center. Mind you this is anecdotal and I could be wrong - but it just seems that way.

Gene King