exCTA 4908

I left the CTA in 2005 to join the Chicago Fire Dept. They had at the time the GMC fishbowl.

It was unfortunately involved in an accident and never returned to service. For a while they used a city marked school bus. They recently recieved an exCTA 4900 series RTS. I visited the academy and looked inside the bus, it is or was 4908. I drove 4908 once at FG It was a borrowed bus from Chicago Ave. It was assigned to me on Addison back in the days when the once venerable MAN Americanas were in charge. The MANs were "Doing it" The CTA striping on the RTS was covered over with a solid red stripe and CFD markings placed, what a beautiful bus! I miss those 4000 MANs !!

The C.F.D bus is 4910 not 4908.

My bad!!! Thank you, # 4910 I remember they removed the "4" and "1" so that it reads "90" Hopefully I get an opportunity to drive it if I get assigned to the academy.

• 1 month later...

The C.F.D bus is 4910 not 4908.

Do you know where this bus is kept?

I'm authoring a history of the RTS for Iconografix, and as I may be in the Chicago area next week, I'd like to see if I can't quickly photograph it for use in the book...

Evan McCausland

RTSHistory@gmail.com

I'm authoring a history of the RTS for Iconografix, and as I may be in the Chicago area next week, I'd like to see if I can't quickly photograph it for use in the book...

Evan McCausland

RTSHistory@gmail.com

We have plenty of RTS Buses still in service with the CTA. This is their second to last year here, so why not take shots of them while still in their original livery? Their series numbers are 4400-4875. They are unique as they are the only RTS buses in the United States that have their wheelchair lifts at the front doors, as opposed to the back doors on the other RTS models found in the U.S.

Since it is owned by the Chicago Fire Department, I would imagine it is

kept at the Fire Academy. I do believe the Fire Department has a public affairs

department, but their web site does not give a way to get in touch directly. I would

suggest calling the City of Chicago 311 information line and see if they can direct

you to someone at the Fire Department who might be able to help you out.

Evan McCausland

RTSHistory@gmail.com

You will have to notify CFD Public Affairs. The CFD Bus, exCTA #4910 RTS is kept currently at the Chicago Fire Dept. Academy 558 W DeKoven st. The bus is one of the 15 96in. RTS non-lift models CTA purchased in 1990.

We have plenty of RTS Buses still in service with the CTA. This is their second to last year here, so why not take shots of them while still in their original livery? Their series numbers are 4400-4875. They are unique as they are the only RTS buses in the United States that have their wheelchair lifts at the front doors, as opposed to the back doors on the other RTS models found in the U.S.

They weren't quite the only RTS' in the US with a front-door lift, but the Series 08 is rare nonetheless.

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'll try to capture some 4400's in service during my trip, and I have a few leads on the CFD 4908 as well.

-Evan

• 4 weeks later...

I left the CTA in 2005 to join the Chicago Fire Dept. They had at the time the GMC fishbowl.

It was unfortunately involved in an accident and never returned to service. For a while they used a city marked school bus. They recently recieved an exCTA 4900 series RTS. I visited the academy and looked inside the bus, it is or was 4908. I drove 4908 once at FG It was a borrowed bus from Chicago Ave. It was assigned to me on Addison back in the days when the once venerable MAN Americanas were in charge. The MANs were "Doing it" The CTA striping on the RTS was covered over with a solid red stripe and CFD markings placed, what a beautiful bus! I miss those 4000 MANs !!

Yeah, I did see that 4908 in Solid red stripes on W.95th by Damen 4 months ago. It is a beautiful and I believe that I've rode that bus on Rt#14 Jeffery Express in summer 2004 in a heat weather, I do miss the look of the rear of TMCs with back window. And Yes I really do miss the MAN americanas, they were the best and I wish that they still have them, I believe now New Orleans RTA is the only US Transit Agency that still has MAN Americana buses.

Actually, DART In Dallas TX has the newest 2003 RTS model with front wide door with W/C lift, with San Francisco (GOlden Gate), Cleveland RTA, more. I wish that hopelly that CTA will get RTS Legend Millenium Transit Series.

I wish that hopelly that CTA will get RTS Legend Millenium Transit Series.
See post 4738.

I remember when buslover88 and sw4400 advocated canceling the rest of the New Flyer contract when it only stood at 265 to order MANs. That didn't happen either (and MAN didn't come back to the United States). Do you think that will now happen, when CTA has a firm commitment to purchase another 785 of them (and would be in breach of contract if it canceled now)?

Maybe you can tell us your transit experience, and Ron Huberman will hire you as the purchasing agent, once he reorganizes the CTA. Anyone want to bet on either happening?

Also, maybe you could use Firefox and its spell checker when writing posts.

Busjack, to refresh you memory, I am posting a portion of that old topic here...

Quote: "Do you think M.A.N may make a return to the U.S Market again and will the CTA order some of these vehicles down the road?"

Where do you see me advocating cancelling the rest of the New Flyer contract? The line clearly states "down the road", it doesn't say cut the remainder of the New Flyer order. But we do have the 5800's and 6000's that will be starting retirement sometime after 2010(15th service year), and the CTA will have to procure buses to replace them(395 buses total if you add 330 and 65). And this contract of New Flyer buses only includes the 5300's and 4400's, not the 5800's and 6000's.

Where do you see me advocating cancelling the rest of the New Flyer contract?
I refer to post 1143. You quoted post 1134. Maybe "advocate" was a bit strong, but you certainly proposed the possibility later in the thread.

I refer to post 1143. You quoted post 1134. Maybe "advocate" was a bit strong, but you certainly proposed the possibility later in the thread.

I stand somewhat corrected, Busjack. Looking at post 1143, I did propose that, but that was under the assumption that the 245 1000-series New Flyers ordered did not meet the CTA's standards. In that case alone, the CTA would drop the options for the additional 785 buses and procure a contract and see if someone else might take it. If M.A.N was still available here in the U.S, you can bet the CTA would've done everything in their power to contract out to them(as they seemed to really like the Americana in 1985 and tried to procure more in 1989)