Metra's Star Line.

jesi2282

If the North Central Service is any indication as to how long it would take the Star Line to get built, don't look for it any sooner than 2020, and that is conservative. North Central was the first Metra line to get built in years. It took eons to get community support, land aquisitions, signal upgrades and actual construction. And this was with tracks that were already there. So I suspect that the Star line is a long time away, even if there were to be government approval tomorrow.

I've had a link in the herald that an extension from Geneva to Courtland and DeKalb might be in the works in the next 10 years, seeing how students (including myself) at NIU need a much better form of transit OTHER than Greyhound.

The STAR should be put on hold for now, and start working towards the other parts of our Region.

There have been many discussions about Metra service being extended to Plano, Hampshire, De Kalb, and even Milwaukee. One thing to keep in mind is that for any of this to happen, those in the area have to realize that they will in some way pay for it. Metra is part of the RTA which is funded with tax support of the 6 counties surrounding metropolitan Chicago. All of these expansion sites fall out of that 6 county funding area.

For example, the Burlington Northern route would only be able to extend to Montgomery, as that is as far as Kane County goes. There was a lot of talk from Oswego and Plano about the BN, until those in Kendall County found out that there were tax issues involved...then it got very quiet. I can see the same thing happening with De Kalb on the UP. Also look for more talk about Hampshire on the Milwaukee West since Elgin wants Metra's yard out of the downtown area...and as soon as Metra finds someone to build them another one, I am sure there will be some expansion there the same way the UP West line got done out Huntley way.

It does seem for evey one person that wants the service, there are 5 who don't for one reason or another. Can't figure out why.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest metralink

From their website it said something like the prefered alternative was to be decided end of last year.

I still don't see how they can put this thing down in the center of I-90 and the fact it won't serve all the major developments. Even if it is decided on, it still is at least 10-15 years away and where is the funding coming from?

Hastert is no longer in power, California has the power now, they will get their big projects built.

We should just build a BRT line like they should have done years ago and be done with it.

I can vouch for Dekalbians:

DeKalb County has a bunch of farmers...and they don't want to give up either the land, or pay the taxes for it. Townies might have a problem for the same reason, plus they want to be independent from the Chicagoland area.

I think, maybe the only thing closer to extension might be Amtrak going to Rockford/Dubuque. Of course, I cannot say that it will happen, but a greater possibility.

The Star Linie is still a priority along with the Southeast line due to the

political pressures.

One of the more quiet additions being considered is the Electric Line

being extended to Peotone. Metra has already purchased land in

the area for a coach yard. The talk around the locker room is that

this is not too far off from happening. If the airport ever gets built

down there look for this to take on a life.

Also, look for the Milwaukee West to go out to Hampshire or Belvidere

sometime in the future. Elgin wants the area downtown where the

coach yard is there, so there is a strong desire to get that done too.

The talk was to combine what is now the UP Belvidere sub with the

ICE west of Elgin to make one line and have passenger trains go

out that way.

Of course, all of this comes down to money, but these two projects may

be done ahead of anything else, since it wouldn't take too much to make

it happen and there are some political pressures in place. Also, one thing

to keep in mind is whether these projects cross the six county area, as in

the proposal to go to De Kalb or the BN to Plano. For these things to even

be considered, you would need the counties involved to vote on funding

via taxation. It seems everyone wants the service, until they find out they

have to pay for it, then it dies off (The BN thing past Montgomery has cooled

down since those in Oswego, Yorkville and Plano found out there would be

added gas taxes and the such).

It seems everyone wants the service, until they find out they have to pay for it, then it dies off (The BN thing past Montgomery has cooled down since those in Oswego, Yorkville and Plano found out there would be added gas taxes and the such).
Slightly off the track, but in accordance with the above observation, see the postings following the article in the NWI Times about a proposal to add $50 to the license plate tax to fund the New Start for the South Shore proposed New Start to Lowell and Valparaiso.

Having grown up there, I understand the posters' view (even though some have the wrong idea that the South Shore makes money) that the mere prospect of chasing federal funds does not square against an increase in taxes (and that proposal was supposedly contingent on getting the federal match). The "funding" advocates in Illinois haven't figured that out yet.

• 1 year later...

anyone know what happened to the STAR? is it burning out, dead? their website says the preferred alternative should have been decided last year.

It is undoubtedly in interminable planning consultant sessions, also held back by the fact that there is no state capital bill to provide matching funds (usually 50% for this type of project; there are various references to Cong. Mark Kirk and Melissa Bean complaining about the potential loss of potential federal funds). There is also the hubbub about Canadian National wanting to acquire the EJ&E and being historically hostile to allowing its tracks to be used for commuter service.

The last news Metra posted about this was June, 2007.

You haven't heard much on the CTA New Starts since the initial hearing on the Circle and Red Lines, respectively, either.

It is undoubtedly in interminable planning consultant sessions, also held back by the fact that there is no state capital bill to provide matching funds (usually 50% for this type of project; there are various references to Cong. Mark Kirk and Melissa Bean complaining about the potential loss of potential federal funds). There is also the hubbub about Canadian National wanting to acquire the EJ&E and being historically hostile to allowing its tracks to be used for commuter service.

You haven't heard much on the CTA New Starts since the initial hearing on the Circle and Red Lines, respectively, either.

I also think that you will have the Southeast Service being done before the STAR line. If the CN does in fact aquire the EJ&E, you can bet the STAR line in it's present form will be dead. Metra is still a minimum of 2 trains a day short on the North Central because the CN is stopping it...in fact that is why the last train in from Antioch only goes as far as Grayslake before expressing via the Milwaukee North line into Chicago....the CN will not allow it on their tracks. With all of this "good will" between the two, I don't think they will be interested in any passenger traffic on the EJ&E, and will do all they can to keep it that way.

• 2 months later...
Guest metralink

oh where oh where is the STAR line plan? The Metra website is not very helpful with information. Lots of old stuff nothing new.

Anyone seen anything in the papers on this one or heard any news?