6600 Nabis

I dont know what all the fuss is about the NABIs Yesterday, after pulling in to Academy in a 2300 Orion I found NABI #6607 parked in the yard. I wanted to see how they feel, I havent operated a NABI yet!. I went and started one up and took it around for a couple of laps around the yard. I didnt see anything wrong with the way they handled. As far as I was concerned I actually liked it. Today I worked the #326 for the first time, I was hoping to get a NABI but

I got an Orion instead.

I dont know what all the fuss is about the NABIs Yesterday, after pulling in to Academy in a 2300 Orion I found NABI #6607 parked in the yard. I wanted to see how they feel, I havent operated a NABI yet!. I went and started one up and took it around for a couple of laps around the yard. I didnt see anything wrong with the way they handled. As far as I was concerned I actually liked it. Today I worked the #326 for the first time, I was hoping to get a NABI but

I got an Orion instead.

I've ridden 40ft high floor SEPTA and Muni NABIs and they rode well. I rode a 60ft WMATA NABI artic and it was OK. The Pace 40ft low floor NABIs are comfortable. The ONLY NABI bus I find uncomfortable to ride is the low floor artic CTA has particularly on route 147 Outer Drive Express. Those bumps on Lake Shore Drive make for loud rough ride.

Apparently the 6600s at Academy/Colonial are for 696 and 699.

It also looks like they are the primary conveyances in Elgin in Joliet (having replaced other equipment, including 2500s there). As previously noted, the Aurora ones ended up in lighter service; in addition to the ones at Colonial, they are also used for feeders in Lisle and reverse feeders for the North Central Service (rather, than those routes, as expected, getting 2600s).

It also looks like they are the primary conveyances in Elgin in Joliet (having replaced other equipment, including 2500s there). As previously noted, the Aurora ones ended up in lighter service; in addition to the ones at Colonial, they are also used for feeders in Lisle and reverse feeders for the North Central Service (rather, than those routes, as expected, getting 2600s).

The 6600s at Academy are also used on some #326 trips. #6612 was assigned on #326 this morning. Quite often when Im working a late #616, @Rosemont, a 6600 series on the 326 pulls up next to me in the afternoon. The short drive I took it it rode quite smooth, acceleration was very good, braking was easy, even the driver seat and controls adjustments werent as bad as I first thought.

I adjusted the seat, the steering wheel, made a few adjustments and I had the bus to where it was comfortable for me. I really liked the acceleration of the bus. Ive become more of a fan of the NABIS since I seen Rockfords new NABIs.

I've ridden 40ft high floor SEPTA and Muni NABIs and they rode well. I rode a 60ft WMATA NABI artic and it was OK. The Pace 40ft low floor NABIs are comfortable. The ONLY NABI bus I find uncomfortable to ride is the low floor artic CTA has particularly on route 147 Outer Drive Express. Those bumps on Lake Shore Drive make for loud rough ride.

I've ridden 60 foot high floor WMATA and Miami-Dade TA and they rode way better than CTA's 7500 NABIs, and I agree totally on how they ride on Bumps, and yes, they are uncomfortable period, I really miss the 7100-7400 MANs.

• 2 weeks later...
The 6600s at Academy are also used on some #326 trips. #6612 was assigned on #326 this morning.
To reinforce that, it showed up in the video clip in the Channel 7 story on Pace service cuts. The shocking thing is that Channel 7 had new footage; Fox still shows old file footage.

• 2 months later...

I have the 326 Irv. Pk Run 14 on friday morning. I will be assigned my first Nabi, let see how it goes, more to come...

I think I might have saw you, was your bus 6612?

No, thur. I was in #2375 on the 606/600

This morning for the Rt 326, I was assigned my first Nabi 6606 but it wouldnt start, go figure! :) So I was reassigned #2374

LOL :lol: Thats a Nabi for u. The good old orion save the day like allways. Some of the 2300s may not look that great but there run better then any nabis we have.

I had #6606 this morning and I turned the master switch and nothing happened. I couldnt get it to start. As for the Orions, #2374 is probably the best bus we have there at Academy. Very fast bus. Smooth, quick acceleration!!

I had #6606 this morning and I turned the master switch and nothing happened. I couldnt get it to start. As for the Orions, #2374 is probably the best bus we have there at Academy. Very fast bus. Smooth, quick acceleration!!

I agree, Orion Is are way better 'Old School buses'. To bad that they've stopped making them in 1993. I believe that PACE has the last ones until it ceased. And other thing, I was thought that Orion I (2300s) are getting rebuilt?

I would never ride a NABI on 606, thats all I have to say.

I agree, Orion Is are way better 'Old School buses'. To bad that they've stopped making them in 1993. I believe that PACE has the last ones until it ceased. And other thing, I was thought that Orion I (2300s) are getting rebuilt?

I would never ride a NABI on 606, thats all I have to say.

Well I operated my first Nabi in service and I have to say I have mixed feelings about it. Today I was assigned #6612 on the 326 Irv Pk. In the yard I got in it. I told this operator that it was my first time operating a Nabi in service and he told me some things to think about when Im out on the road. I finally got it started and adjusted the seat and controls to where it was comfortable for me. I gave it a brake test and finally left the yard. I found myself constantly having to adjust and adjust and adjust!!! But I feel maybe because it was my first time on the road and as with all new equipment it would take time to get adjusted to it. So I finally got the bus where I wanted it. I made it to Norridge with one minute to spare. The bus did have trouble with acceleration, the "Check Eng" light would illuminate frequently and cause the bus to drag when I would accelerate, so after a while that started to get to me, the front doors were slow to close. The suspension was pretty rough, with the kind of bumps on Irving Pk Rd. through Schiller Pk. Im surprised my neck isnt in traction. If there was anything i enjoyed about the bus was when it would accelerate it picked up fast. I didnt fall behind except on my last trip but only due to traffic. The seat after a while started to feel a bit uncomfortable, my back was hurting a bit but I was ok to continue. I think the Nabis are good looking buses, I have to say I really like the design but Im not coming to an immediate opinion about it because its only been my first time operating a Nabi. I have to drive it a few more times to come to a definite opinion.