Flxible Runs

BusExpert32

#5381 on the 18 16/18 this morning

Route 18 16th/18th would be a Kedzie Garage route and as of now Kedzie is not getting rid of their 5300 Flxibles, 103rd Garage is, and those 6 to 7 Flxibles at the junkyard are definitely from 103rd since they're recieving new New Flyers. Kedzie will probably recieve more New Flyers, but probably a year from now when the time comes to replace Kedzie's 4400s and 5300s.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Route 18 16th/18th would be a Kedzie Garage route and as of now Kedzie is not getting rid of their 5300 Flxibles, 103rd Garage is, and those 6 to 7 Flxibles at the junkyard are definitely from 103rd since they're recieving new New Flyers. Kedzie will probably recieve more New Flyers, but probably a year from now when the time comes to replace Kedzie's 4400s and 5300s.

I heard that Flxible 6000s are expected to be retired by 2010, are they going to be replaced by more Low Floors for 100% of CTAs Fleet? If so, thats insane.

I heard that Flxible 6000s are expected to be retired by 2010, are they going to be replaced by more Low Floors for 100% of CTAs Fleet? If so, thats insane.

I don't know if they'll be retired "by" 2010, but when they are retired, it pretty much goes without saying that their replacements will be low floors. I don't know why that's insane.

Like it or not, that's the way the industry is going.

The low floors of today are many times better than the quality of buses that are the same vintage as the 5800s. NABIs excluded, most of the low floors today have much better suspension systems than the old LFs, giving a ride that's just about as smooth as a high floor bus.

I'll admit that one downside of a low floor bus is the reduced capacity (both seated and standees), which hurts you during the peak periods, if you're leaving people behind at the stops, but at other times doesn't cause much of a problem.

For various reasons which may be obvious (but, nonetheless, I won't go into here), the number of elderly and disabled people that rely on public transit is increasing. Therefore, the need as we move into the future is to have more and more services accessible. Wheelchair lifts are too slow and unreliable (and also don't benefit those that don't really need a lift, but still have trouble climbing steps).

I don't know if they'll be retired "by" 2010, but when they are retired, it pretty much goes without saying that their replacements will be low floors. I don't know why that's insane.

Like it or not, that's the way the industry is going.

The low floors of today are many times better than the quality of buses that are the same vintage as the 5800s. NABIs excluded, most of the low floors today have much better suspension systems than the old LFs, giving a ride that's just about as smooth as a high floor bus.

I'll admit that one downside of a low floor bus is the reduced capacity (both seated and standees), which hurts you during the peak periods, if you're leaving people behind at the stops, but at other times doesn't cause much of a problem.

For various reasons which may be obvious (but, nonetheless, I won't go into here), the number of elderly and disabled people that rely on public transit is increasing. Therefore, the need as we move into the future is to have more and more services accessible. Wheelchair lifts are too slow and unreliable (and also don't benefit those that don't really need a lift, but still have trouble climbing steps).

We all understand the basics about why low floor buses are better and more effecient then high floor buses in todays world. But me and qwantae just can't believe that the CTA's high floor bus era is coming to an end within the next few years.

I don't know about any of you, but it seems like that Chicago Garage is reducing the number of 5300s that run on #76 Diversey. I only saw three 5300s yesterday on that route: #5744 heading eastbound to Sheridan, #5491 heading westbound and #5769 sitting at Diversey and Orchard, broken down. The rest of the buses were New Flyers and I only saw one NOVA yesterday on #76, and that was #6740.

I don't know about any of you, but it seems like that Chicago Garage is reducing the number of 5300s that run on #76 Diversey. I only saw three 5300s yesterday on that route: #5744 heading eastbound to Sheridan, #5491 heading westbound and #5769 sitting at Diversey and Orchard, broken down. The rest of the buses were New Flyers and I only saw one NOVA yesterday on #76, and that was #6740.

I don't think that Chicago Garage is reducing anything. I've seen a lot of 5300 Flxible spaced out evenly all over the Chicago Garage route territory last week. And remember that if Chicago only has 48 5300s, and they're spacing them out 3 to 4 on each route during rush hour then that's fine. By the way, I rode on a NOve through Diversey last week during rush hour and I only saw one Flxible.