Flxible Runs

BusExpert32

I'm perfectly calm, I justed calmly explained why racism has nothing to do with the CTA and its route assignments.

I meant CTA5750. Anyway, I just saw #1380 and #1386 go by on Diversey, so it appears that they're "finally" running the New Flyers. I have nothing more to say.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant CTA5750. Anyway, I just saw #1380 and #1386 go by on Diversey, so it appears that they're "finally" running the New Flyers. I have nothing more to say.

I already mentioned that Diversey is running New Flyers most of the time and that I didn't even spot one Flxible a couple times earlier in this topic. You even said that you live near there and that you ride on the 76 Diversey most of time and you still couldn't get a New Flyer. Now that I cannot believe.

I already mentioned that Diversey is running New Flyers most of the time and that I didn't even spot one Flxible a couple times earlier in this topic. You even said that you live near there and that you ride on the 76 Diversey most of time and you still couldn't get a New Flyer. Now that I cannot believe.

I looked out the window and saw them. My bedroom window faces Diversey. I live just off Diversey near Central Park. I didn't ride no buses today to clear that up.

I looked out the window and saw them. My bedroom window faces Diversey. I live just off Diversey near Central Park. I didn't ride no buses today to clear that up.

The point I made was that you couldn't see any New Flyers on Diversey before today. They've been running constantly on Diversey for months. You were even complaining about it earlier in this topic.

The point I made was that you couldn't see any New Flyers on Diversey before today. They've been running constantly on Diversey for months. You were even complaining about it earlier in this topic.

Well, this is the first time i've seen them in a few months on Diversey. Point made and I have to go to bed now. Besides, this forum isn't for that kind of stuff, so i'll stop saying stuff off the topic.

I kind of understand the Flxible runs out of Chicago Garage now, but the ones out of Kedzie Garage are very complicated. I have not seen a 5300 out of Kedzie since the New Flyers went there even though the garage page lists Kedzie having about 30 to 40 5300s and that is indeed true. But I just cannot understand when they run and on what basis. Basically, it is impossible to spot one.

Why complaining about this in a first place, remember back in 2004 and earlier after the Nova LFs and NABIs came in, then North Park was the only garage with 1985 MAN Americana still operating in a sadly bad shape and breakdown. And North Park Routes runs in a good areas. So, I really wouldnt complain about any of this at all.

Everytime I ride the 1000s new flyers Chicago Ave (66 Chicago) and even 79th street which is the worst ghetto route, they are still constantely throwing trash all over, and writing on seats. So maybe they have a right to operating the older buses on the ghetto routes to save the newer buses.

Thats my opinion!

Why complaining about this in a first place, remember back in 2004 and earlier after the Nova LFs and NABIs came in, then North Park was the only garage with 1985 MAN Americana still operating in a sadly bad shape and breakdown. And North Park Routes runs in a good areas. So, I really wouldnt complain about any of this at all.

Everytime I ride the 1000s new flyers Chicago Ave (66 Chicago) and even 79th street which is the worst ghetto route, they are still constantely throwing trash all over, and writing on seats. So maybe they have a right to operating the older buses on the ghetto routes to save the newer buses.

Thats my opinion!

Buslover was right, Chicago is putting more Flxibles in the ghetto areas(such as the 66 and 70 routes) because they are saving the newer buses on routes that run in better neighborhoods. It doesn't really matter if anyone throws trash all over or writes on the seats in the Flxibles since they will be gone soon.

By the way, 66 Chicago and 70 Division do run the most Flxibles because the whole west end of the routes goes straight through the worst ghetto area in the west side.

Lots of Kedzie 5300's can be found on the 124, 151 and 157 downtown during middays. There are quite a few older buses mixed in with the New Flyers during middays. You will see a lot of Flxibles and TMCs mixed in on those routes as well as the 60. The Hybrids seem to find their way to the 124 on Saturdays and only in spurts during the week (maybe 1 day, you'll see a few on the 124 and 157).

Buslover was right, Chicago is putting more Flxibles in the ghetto areas(such as the 66 and 70 routes) because they are saving the newer buses on routes that run in better neighborhoods.
Sure. What are you considering the ghettos there? Little Puerto Rico near Humboldt Park? Yuppies in Bucktown and Ukrainian Village, or the parts that haven't gentrified yet? The remnants of Cabrini Green, or the area of Northwestern Memorial Hospital? All of those areas are served by 66 and 70. Your far West Side reference must be to Austin, which also includes 20 Madison, which we previously noted only has Novas. 85 Central goes through the heart of Austin, but is served by the privileged Forest Glen. While others have said that there is no room for prejudice here, either recant it or admit what your racial prejudices are. In any event, the CTA is subject to Civil Rights Laws, and even had to vet its doomsday plan so that it didn't discriminate against the poor and minorities (unless they are the type of minorities that live on the far North Side). If you are accusing the CTA of racial prejudice, do like the Gray Line people did, and file a complaint with the feds. But you better have proof.

Also, according to the numbers posted elsewhere, you are complaining about 48 of 276 buses assigned to that area, or about 17%, and those are primarily on trippers. The lack of sense of proportion is unbelievable. All of the routes out of Chicago must have predominantly low floor equipment.

Sure. What are you considering the ghettos there? Little Puerto Rico near Humboldt Park? Yuppies in Bucktown and Ukrainian Village, or the parts that haven't gentrified yet? The remnants of Cabrini Green, or the area of Northwestern Memorial Hospital? All of those areas are served by 66 and 70. Your far West Side reference must be to Austin, which also includes 20 Madison, which we previously noted only has Novas. 85 Central goes through the heart of Austin, but is served by the privileged Forest Glen. While others have said that there is no room for prejudice here, either recant it or admit what your racial prejudices are. In any event, the CTA is subject to Civil Rights Laws, and even had to vet its doomsday plan so that it didn't discriminate against the poor and minorities (unless they are the type of minorities that live on the far North Side). If you are accusing the CTA of racial prejudice, do like the Gray Line people did, and file a complaint with the feds. But you better have proof.

Also, according to the numbers posted elsewhere, you are complaining about 48 of 276 buses assigned to that area, or about 17%, and those are primarily on trippers. The lack of sense of proportion is unbelievable. All of the routes out of Chicago must have predominantly low floor equipment.

First of all, there are some bad areas west of the Ukrainian Village where buses can get ruined on Division and Chicago. This is the reason why most of the 48 Flxibles run on 66 and 70 most of the time. Your 17% of Flxibles on the roster doesn't matter since we're not talking about all the Chicago Garage routes.

Secondly, 85 Central used to run mostly 5300 Flxibles until 2002 when they were transferred to Kedzie. So they did care about protecting new buses until the preheater policy which forced the transfer.

By the way, I will most certainly not file any complaint to the feds about racial prejudice. I don't care that much about more newer buses running in ghetto areas.

• 2 weeks later...

All right, time to inject a fact or two into this discussion.

As of August 22, Chicago Garage has 102 New Flyers, 126 Novas, and 68 Flxibles, for a total of 296 buses. That does put it above the optimal "design capacity" of the garage, I suppose, but right now most garages are above their optimal design capacity.

Shouldn't Chicago Garage also have at least three 800 series hybrids on their roster? With Chicago transferring 20 Flxibles to other garages (296 -20 =276) and plus the three 800s would bring the total of buses at Chicago to 279. Or if you mentioned those 800s in your statemnet of "102 New Flyers" than I would agree but it is a different series so it might be confusing for others.

• 2 weeks later...

Are the 5700s (Former Archer buses), and most of 5300s (Former 77th/103rd buses) are gone already? Because All over the city, I see 5400s/ 5500s/5600s.

#5746 is the only remaining Flxible with the Cummins L10 engine in it (from the original series of 5745-5764) still on active duty (#5749 was retired this summer). It is running out of 103rd garage.

#5746 is the only remaining Flxible with the Cummins L10 engine in it (from the original series of 5745-5764) still on active duty (#5749 was retired this summer). It is running out of 103rd garage.

Was 5746 just transferred? Last I saw, it was running out of Kedzie (this would have been late August/early September).

I've never ridden one of the Cummins 5300s, though I was on board 5746 at its Navy Pier (actually Grand/Streeter) layover on July 3 when it was working 124. Unfortunately, I had other things to do and therefore couldn't actually *ride* it. I'd love to get a recording of that engine, unless it already exists online somewhere.

I'd love to get a recording of that engine, unless it already exists online somewhere.

try YouTube - type in Flxible bus -there are a couple on there from Washington and New Jersey. And as far as #5746 being seen at Kedzie instead of 103rd, wouldn't doubt it for a minute the way buses get transferred at CTA so much.

try YouTube - type in Flxible bus -there are a couple on there from Washington and New Jersey. And as far as #5746 being seen at Kedzie instead of 103rd, wouldn't doubt it for a minute the way buses get transferred at CTA so much.

I have a friend who lives down by 95th and Ewing, He tells me as of friday there are at least 6 or 7 of the 5300 series Flxibles at the junkyard awaiting their final trip to the shredders. Anyone who lives south, check this out if you can.

I have a friend who lives down by 95th and Ewing, He tells me as of friday there are at least 6 or 7 of the 5300 series Flxibles at the junkyard awaiting their final trip to the shredders. Anyone who lives south, check this out if you can.

#5381 on the 18 16/18 this morning