New Flyer deliveries

Busjack

Very interesting! I would have thought that New Flyers purchased by Canadian transit agenc[ie]s would be manufactured in Canada [i think NF has a Canadian plant].
It appears that the way both Orion and New Flyer operate, the final assembly is in the U.S. New Flyer's site says that the Winnipeg facility "[m]anufactures bus shells and parts for St. Cloud or Crookston, MN finishing."

As noted in the Inveros thread, several of us have seen OC Transpo (Ottawa) Inveros on the Edens.

• 7 months later...

It appears that the way both Orion and New Flyer operate, the final assembly is in the U.S. New Flyer's site says that the Winnipeg facility "[m]anufactures bus shells and parts for St. Cloud or Crookston, MN finishing."

As noted in the Inveros thread, several of us have seen OC Transpo (Ottawa) Inveros on the Edens.

Today on my way to Rockford, I spotted a New Flyer D60 Low Floor Artic lettered for London Transit (Ontario)

I'd love it if you guys could attempt to track Mississauga Transit's order of 69 D40LFRs. They are supposed to begin arriving on Monday, according to driver newsletters. For those wondering, they are replacing our Orion Vs from 1991-93.

Thanks,

Orion VIII

I'd love it if you guys could attempt to track Mississauga Transit's order of 69 D40LFRs.
BTW, since you are from there, did this post about a bus with an orange stripe refer to one of yours? There are also a couple of bus repair places around where the bus was sighted.

BTW, since you are from there, did this post about a bus with an orange stripe refer to one of yours? There are also a couple of bus repair places around where the bus was sighted.

That would have been one of our D60LFRs, 0851-0885. They have all arrived now, and the one spotted in that post was likely 0885, since it arrived considerable later than the rest of them.

Here are a couple of my photos that I have uploaded.

Mississauga_Transit_0858-a.JPG

Mississauga_Transit_0858-c.JPG

Hey! Saw 1694 today myself on the 18 route too, around 3:15 in Chinatown. :lol:

Refer to the next garage to get New Flyers thread and you'll read about my spotting 1702 on the 52 yesterday and kendo 26 spotting it on the 8 earlier today.

That would have been one of our D60LFRs, 0851-0885. They have all arrived now, and the one spotted in that post was likely 0885, since it arrived considerable later than the rest of them.

Here are a couple of my photos that I have uploaded.

Mississauga_Transit_0858-a.JPG

Mississauga_Transit_0858-c.JPG

That's what I saw on I-290 that day for sure. It has the same stripe. Thanks for answering my question Orion VIII. It all makes sense now by what you've said that they've been receiving D60LFR's. If I see anything with a similar livery I'll post it on here.

• 1 month later...

Today while working the 606 WB on the tollway I spotted a brand new New Flyer D40 restyled bus EB at Lee st. for Missasauga Transit #0826.

Okay, I tried asking this question before on another thread. Was it on a flatbed or was it being driven by someone? I just wonder because I think driving brand new buses around the country would be a neat job :D I don't think they would want me for that job though since by the time I got where I was going there would probably be a collection of empty Dunkin Donut and/or Tim Horton boxes on the seats :lol:

Okay, I tried asking this question before on another thread. Was it on a flatbed or was it being driven by someone? I just wonder because I think driving brand new buses around the country would be a neat job :D I don't think they would want me for that job though since by the time I got where I was going there would probably be a collection of empty Dunkin Donut and/or Tim Horton boxes on the seats :lol:

No, this bus was driven. I dont know where transit buses are shipped by truck if they still are doing that, Ive never seen that. I for one have never seen a New Flyer riding piggyback.

Today while working the 606 WB on the tollway I spotted a brand new New Flyer D40 restyled bus EB at Lee st. for Missasauga Transit #0826.

I think I passed the same bus, plus one, on my way home tonight. I was on the Kennedy and saw them around Damen ave headed eastbound around 8:30 pm.

No, this bus was driven. I dont know where transit buses are shipped by truck if they still are doing that, Ive never seen that. I for one have never seen a New Flyer riding piggyback.

Thanks :D I was just wondering. I have never seen a transit bus being delivered so I wasn't sure. Actually driving them to the destination probably helps break them in so they aren't taken off the assembly line and put right on a stop and go route. Where I got the flatbed idea from was CoachCrafters who uses flatbeds to pick up and drop off (I think) buses for repair. Also didn't the MAN buses from Seattle come in on a train or something?

Where I got the flatbed idea from was CoachCrafters who uses flatbeds to pick up and drop off (I think) buses for repair.

Flatbedding was used for CTA deliveries after a Nova was discovered in Detroit left by some driver who was taking a side trip. I believe that the NABIs were also trailered (pictures of 7500 at some bus show demonstrate that), but apparently that was thrown out with regard to the New Flyer deliveries.

Also, interesting that it was being delivered to the home city of Orion. I guess provincial protectionism is out.

Great, thanks for the update! It will be heading to MTB for maxi-brake relocation. So far all units up to 0820, as well as 0822 have been spotted there. I'd imagine 0821 and 23-25 are either there now or on their ways.

I've also only ever seen New Flyers driven my sample covers OC Transpo Inveros and D60LFs, York Region Transit D40LFs, all Mississauga Transit New Flyers and Fairfax Connectors D40LFRs.

Also, interesting that it was being delivered to the home city of Orion. I guess provincial protectionism is out.

As long as the same people are in maintenance, the 2001 VIIs will be the last Orions to ever come to Mississauga. In fact, I don't know why I call them 2001s, seeing as they weren't in service until June 2002! That's how bad they were, and still are today.

Great, thanks for the update! It will be heading to MTB for maxi-brake relocation. So far all units up to 0820, as well as 0822 have been spotted there. I'd imagine 0821 and 23-25 are either there now or on their ways.

So it looks like Mississauga Transit uses the yy## format on their buses too. That numbering scheme makes it easy for us busfans to get the approximate year right away :) MVTA uses the 4y## on its fleet. I'm waiting to see what happens in 2010 :lol: