Trip to Downers Grove

jesi2282

This morning I took a trip to Downers Grove to take photos of the Grove Commuter Shuttle, before the service begans running with "Cut-aways".

When I got there a saw 18 (Ikarus 416) running on the Southeast route, then came 17 (Ikarus 416) on the Southwest route, I then ran over to take photos of 15 (Gillig Phantom) running on the North route.

Here are the photos: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561498317qOymYp

This morning I took a trip to Downers Grove to take photos of the Grove Commuter Shuttle, before the service begans running with "Cut-aways".

When I got there a saw 18 (Ikarus 416) running on the Southeast route, then came 17 (Ikarus 416) on the Southwest route, I then ran over to take photos of 15 (Gillig Phantom) running on the North route.

Who operates DG Shuttle? Who do the drivers operate for?

Were those Ikarus 416 from Pace (former 2200s)?

According to Jesi2282 yes thay are. By looking at the photos of them you can easily tell just by the look of the run # box they were once Pace buses.

According to Jesi2282 yes thay are. By looking at the photos of them you can easily tell just by the look of the run # box they were once Pace buses.

• 6 months later...

Taking the bushawking trip into Downers Grove, it appears that the last days of the Gillig are fast approaching. I saw 4 white paratransits, with a green stripe (one of them having a number in the format of 0004) and one Gillig. The paratransits appeared to have Navistar-International Truck front ends.

• 5 years later...

Of related interest, Pace has a Passenger Notice that a couple of Downers Grove routes are subject to "temporary service suspension" due to a staffing shortage. I guess nobody want to work for Downers Grove public works.

It sounds very bizzare for that to happen. I guess the 834 would be an alternate for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...

Predictably, the notice on the Downers Grove site includes that they are taking applications for part time bus drivers.

The site also indicates that starting Jan. 1, they will be charging Pace fares (far less than what DG was charging) and will only be taking cash or Ventra cards, not passes issued by DG.

There are also entries in the WebWatch pulldown for routes 461-464, but apparently not enough there to show what buses are on the routes, nor in most cases, lines on the route maps.

Predictably, the notice on the Downers Grove site includes that they are taking applications for part time bus drivers.

The site also indicates that starting Jan. 1, they will be charging Pace fares (far less than what DG was charging) and will only be taking cash or Ventra cards, not passes issued by DG.

There are also entries in the WebWatch pulldown for routes 461-464, but apparently not enough there to show what buses are on the routes, nor in most cases, lines on the route maps.

Are those routes funded?

Are those routes funded?

For the past couple of years they have been funded like similar Pace municipal routes (Niles or Highland Park), i.e. about 36% recovery ratio, with the other 64% from Pace.

Apparently a typo on page 26 of the 2014 budget, but anyway:

Downers Grove

The Village of Downers Grove operates the Grove Commuter Shuttle, transporting passengers to the Metra/Burlington Northern rail station in Downers Grove. This 2014 Public/Municipal Contracted Service Budget service is included in Pace’s 2014 budget at a cost of $300,000, off set by revenue of $111,000. The goal for Downers Grove in 2014 is to achieve a minimum recovery ratio of 3.6[sic]%.

Originally, both Downers Grove and the Schaumburg Trolley were included in the Pace budget only because the municipalities were responsible for 100% of the cost, thus making the recovery ratio look better, but starting with the 2012 budget, both received the same subsidy as other carriers.

Note that in the case of the Niles Free Bus, the village "pays the fares."

A little data this morning. The always moving 2650 is there:

post-14-0-98294700-1388152948_thumb.jpg