Lake/Dan Ryan car assignments

Danielsmusic

Before the south side routes were flipped, I know that the west/south route had the 2400s. Did it also have 2600s?

Yes, the West-South Route did have 2600s in addition to 2400s. 2400s replaced 2000s in West-South service in the early to mid 1980s, while at roughly the same time, the West-South Route traded its remaining 2200s to the West-Northwest Route for some of that line's 2600s.

Before the arrival of the 2400s and 2600s (which originally ran on the Ravenswood, North-South and West-Northwest routes), the West-South Route opened with 2000s (140 of which originated on the Lake line, and 40 transferred from the West-Northwest Route) and some 2200s. And when the Lake line ran only between Harlem and downtown, it was entirely equipped with 2000s from mid-1964 to the day the new West-South through-routing began operating in 1969. The Lake Line (or the West-South Route, for that matter) was never officially assigned 6000s (although a few 6000s did run in revenue service on the West-South Route in the late 1970s as fill-in runs); prior to the arrival of the 2000s, the Lake line ran with 4000s, and before that, with old wood-bodied cars.

After the South Side through-routings were flipped, the Lake-Englewood-Jackson Park line ran with 2000s and 2600s until the line closed in 1994 for renovation. The 2000s were officially retired a month or so before the temporary closure of what is now the Green Line, with the higher-numbered units of that series finishing out their revenue service days on the Evanston Line (now the Purple Line).

Yes, the West-South Route did have 2600s in addition to 2400s. 2400s replaced 2000s in West-South service in the early to mid 1980s, while at roughly the same time, the West-South Route traded its remaining 2200s to the West-Northwest Route for some of that line's 2600s.

Before the arrival of the 2400s and 2600s (which originally ran on the Ravenswood, North-South and West-Northwest routes), the West-South Route opened with 2000s (140 of which originated on the Lake line, and 40 transferred from the West-Northwest Route) and some 2200s. And when the Lake line ran only between Harlem and downtown, it was entirely equipped with 2000s from mid-1964 to the day the new West-South through-routing began operating in 1969. The Lake Line (or the West-South Route, for that matter) was never officially assigned 6000s (although a few 6000s did run in revenue service on the West-South Route in the late 1970s as fill-in runs); prior to the arrival of the 2000s, the Lake line ran with 4000s, and before that, with old wood-bodied cars.

After the South Side through-routings were flipped, the Lake-Englewood-Jackson Park line ran with 2000s and 2600s until the line closed in 1994 for renovation. The 2000s were officially retired a month or so before the temporary closure of what is now the Green Line, with the higher-numbered units of that series finishing out their revenue service days on the Evanston Line (now the Purple Line).

Thanks. Okay, let me see if I have the car assignments right:

1991:

Howard/Englewood/Jackson Park: 2000s, 2600s

Evanston: 1-50, 6000s, 2000s, 2600s

Ravenswood: 1-50, 6000s, 2000s, 2600s

Skokie Swift: 1-50

O'Hare (Milwaukee)/Congress/Douglas: a few 6000s, 2200s, 2600s

Lake/Dan Ryan: 2400s, 2600s

1994:

Red Line: 2400s, 2600s

Yellow Line: 3200s

Purple Line: 2400s, 2600s

Brown Line: 3200s, occasionally a few 2600s

Blue Line: 2200s, 2600s, a few 6000s

Green Line: 2000s, a few 2400s

Orange Line: 3200s

Thanks. Okay, let me see if I have the car assignments right:

1991:

Howard/Englewood/Jackson Park: 2000s, 2600s

Evanston: 1-50, 6000s, 2000s, 2600s

Ravenswood: 1-50, 6000s, 2000s, 2600s

Skokie Swift: 1-50

O'Hare (Milwaukee)/Congress/Douglas: a few 6000s, 2200s, 2600s

Lake/Dan Ryan: 2400s, 2600s

1994:

Red Line: 2400s, 2600s

Yellow Line: 3200s

Purple Line: 2400s, 2600s

Brown Line: 3200s, occasionally a few 2600s

Blue Line: 2200s, 2600s, a few 6000s

Green Line: 2000s, a few 2400s

Orange Line: 3200s

You might be off on at least the O'Hare(Milwaukee)/Congress/Douglas line a little.

http://www.chicago-l.org/trains/gallery/im.../cta2000s04.jpg

This image shows a train of 2000-Series cars emerging from the Evergreen Portal, the entrance to the Milwaukee/Dearborn Subway. The image says circa the 1960's, but I'm not sure if they mean when the pic was taken or when the train cars were made(1964 introductory year).

You might be off on at least the O'Hare(Milwaukee)/Congress/Douglas line a little.

http://www.chicago-l.org/trains/gallery/im.../cta2000s04.jpg

This image shows a train of 2000-Series cars emerging from the Evergreen Portal, the entrance to the Milwaukee/Dearborn Subway. The image says circa the 1960's, but I'm not sure if they mean when the pic was taken or when the train cars were made(1964 introductory year).

That pic was taken shortly after the train cars arrived on CTA property -- either 1964 or 1965. At the time, cars 2001-2140 were assigned to the Lake line, while cars 2141-2180 were assigned to the West-Northwest Route.

As for cars "2181-2182," that pair wasn't originally numbered as such -- but was actually a 1980s renumbering of two existing cars whose original mates were damaged beyond repair. In this pair, the cars were originally numbered 2129 and 2040. They were mated together and renumbered when they were assigned to the North-South Route. (2200-series unit 2351-2352, originally numbered 2307 and 2316, were renumbered in a similar manner.)

when the 2600's first arrived did the 2200's operate alongside them

Yes. And in West-Northwest (and Blue Line and Pink Line) service, 2600s are frequently trainlined together with 2200s in the same consist. And today, 2200s cannot run by themselves due to ADA regulations; they must be coupled together with at least one 2600-series married-pair unit in revenue service.

Yes. And in West-Northwest (and Blue Line and Pink Line) service, 2600s are frequently trainlined together with 2200s in the same consist. And today, 2200s cannot run by themselves due to ADA regulations; they must be coupled together with at least one 2600-series married-pair unit in revenue service.

And to make things easier/consistent for handicapped people and CTA customer assistants, the 2600s are never in the middle of the train.

And to make things easier/consistent for handicapped people and CTA customer assistants, the 2600s are never in the middle of the train.

No. The 2200s are never on the ends of an eight-car train. There are plenty of Blue Line consists with 2600s in the middle. There are Blue Line trains with eight 2600s, or six 2600s and two 2200s. You just won't see 2200s on the end of an eight-car train (though you can see them at one end of a four-car train on occasion on the Blue Line, and quite frequently on the Pink Line).

No. The 2200s are never on the ends of an eight-car train. There are plenty of Blue Line consists with 2600s in the middle. There are Blue Line trains with eight 2600s, or six 2600s and two 2200s. You just won't see 2200s on the end of an eight-car train (though you can see them at one end of a four-car train on occasion on the Blue Line, and quite frequently on the Pink Line).

Your point is EXACTLY THE SAME AS MINE. I said the 2600s are never in the middle of the train, meaning that the 2200s must be. If you read my post, you will see that you're not saying anything different than me.

Your point is EXACTLY THE SAME AS MINE. I said the 2600s are never in the middle of the train, meaning that the 2200s must be. If you read my post, you will see that you're not saying anything different than me.

Unless, of course, you were agreeing with me. It is very hard to tell because of the "no" at the beginning of the post.

No, my point is not the same as yours. You said 2600s are never in the middle of the train. If you have an eight-car consist of all 2600s, then what is in the middle of the train? Certainly not 2200s.

No, my point is not the same as yours. You said 2600s are never in the middle of the train. If you have an eight-car consist of all 2600s, then what is in the middle of the train? Certainly not 2200s.

I think he meant 2600's are never in the middle of a consist when coupled with 2200's. The 2200's are always in the middle. The only time you'd see 2200's on the end of a consist is if it's a 4 car train --one pair being 2600's and the other being 2200's. I did see this a couple of times on the Blue Line.

Although, sometimes both the 2600s and the 2200s are in the middle:

2600-series married pair

2200-series married pair

2600-series married pair

2600-series married pair

Although on a recent Saturday, I did see an 8-car consist on the Blue Line containing two 2600-series married pairs on one end and two 2200-series married pairs on the other end. The point there is to avoid having 2200-series cars on both ends of a consist.

Although on a recent Saturday, I did see an 8-car consist on the Blue Line containing two 2600-series married pairs on one end and two 2200-series married pairs on the other end. The point there is to avoid having 2200-series cars on both ends of a consist.

The 2200s are only at the ends of an 8-car train if there is no time to set up a train in the yard. In normal operation, there is NEVER a 2200-series married pair at the end of an 8-car train. If there was not a yard error, then you are completely wrong.

The Rosemont/O'Hare yard manager told me that what you're saying is wrong.

Plus, 8-car trains are made from two 4-car trains that ran the previous night. You will pretty much never see a train in regular operation with four 2200s on one end because that means one train from the previous night was made of four 2200s, which simply does not happen.

Sounds like something came in a little backwards and went out in a rush. Better get a picture, or else some people won't believe you...may even call you a liar !!!!

Technically, 2200s aren't supposed to be on the ends. Technically, you're not supposed to see Optimas on the 146. Doesn't mean it will never happen.

People need to choose words carefully. Never is a very strong word (I plead guilty to using that word once in a previous post on this thread). It only takes one instance to prove "never" wrong.

As far as an eight-car Blue Line with 2200s on one end, not supposed to happen, but wouldn't surprise me if it did. Just like sometimes a garage will not have enough time to get the correct bus type repaired, and therefore the "wrong" bus has to go out on a run (or the run doesn't go at all).

Out of curiosity, which Saturday was this? Also, where on the route was this? Most weekends this fall have had line cuts between Jefferson Park and Harlem (or Cumberland). Most of the Blue Line's yard capacity is at Rosemont, which was inaccessible to the bulk of the route (south of Jefferson Park). Forest Park is relatively small. Therefore, I suppose if it was on the Forest Park end during a weekend in which there was a line cut, there may have been very little spare equipment to replace a bad-ordered car that arrived.

So the option possibly was to either have a large gap in service while they broke the train up, did a bunch of switching moves to get all of the cars serviceable cars in the correct order, then send the train out late (causing a 15 to 20-minute gap in service instead of the scheduled 7-10 minutes or whatever it was on Saturdays), or do a quick swap which was still technically legal (not an expert on that matter, but I believe the only legal requirement is that you have some ADA capacity on the train; having the ADA cars at the ends is done more for efficiency and convenience).

...or do a quick swap which was still technically legal (not an expert on that matter, but I believe the only legal requirement is that you have some ADA capacity on the train; having the ADA cars at the ends is done more for efficiency and convenience).

That would be correct. The legal end is the requirement that the equipment is there, where it is in a consist is up to the carrier. On our end, that is why you see the accessible boarding signs on platforms. That is so when a train is spotted, the ADA car is in the same spot. You will see the "designated" ADA car in different spots on each Metra line because it is located in a different spot on a consist depending on the line. The Milwaukee has the designated car in the 3 car from the engine (4th on longer trains), the Rock Island is the 2nd car from the engine, the UP the cab car. Why it is different (other than the cab car)...not so sure, but that is just the way it is.

Technically, 2200s aren't supposed to be on the ends. Technically, you're not supposed to see Optimas on the 146. Doesn't mean it will never happen.

People need to choose words carefully. Never is a very strong word (I plead guilty to using that word once in a previous post on this thread). It only takes one instance to prove "never" wrong.

As far as an eight-car Blue Line with 2200s on one end, not supposed to happen, but wouldn't surprise me if it did. Just like sometimes a garage will not have enough time to get the correct bus type repaired, and therefore the "wrong" bus has to go out on a run (or the run doesn't go at all).

Out of curiosity, which Saturday was this? Also, where on the route was this? Most weekends this fall have had line cuts between Jefferson Park and Harlem (or Cumberland). Most of the Blue Line's yard capacity is at Rosemont, which was inaccessible to the bulk of the route (south of Jefferson Park). Forest Park is relatively small. Therefore, I suppose if it was on the Forest Park end during a weekend in which there was a line cut, there may have been very little spare equipment to replace a bad-ordered car that arrived.

So the option possibly was to either have a large gap in service while they broke the train up, did a bunch of switching moves to get all of the cars serviceable cars in the correct order, then send the train out late (causing a 15 to 20-minute gap in service instead of the scheduled 7-10 minutes or whatever it was on Saturdays), or do a quick swap which was still technically legal (not an expert on that matter, but I believe the only legal requirement is that you have some ADA capacity on the train; having the ADA cars at the ends is done more for efficiency and convenience).

I see your point. Just like 2400s aren't assigned to the Red Line, but are still on at least once a week. I've been on an Optima on the 143 at least five times. I was on a Red Line train about 7 months ago that looked like this:

2400-series married pair

2400-series married pair

messed-up 3200/2600 series married pair

2400-series married pair

Sorry, no pictures, didn't have a camera phone then. But, I do see your point. Plus, with all the advertising CTA did about more frequent service on the Congress line a year and a half ago, the intervals between trains are even shorter, meaning that more "oopsies" will happen.