Which groups of seniors should get free service?

sw4400

The transit bill has been approved, and seniors get free rides in about two months' time. But, with impending fares rising in 2009 for people under 65, the question now should be who should get this free service? I think it should be for seniors under a certain amount of income. There are seniors out there that can afford $50,000 Cadillacs. Why should that group get a free ride on our buses and trains, while the rest will be forced to pay more after 2008?

Emil Jones says he isn't calling up the house bill, so I am not going to set an arbitrary income amount at this time. Also, even if he did, the governor would veto it.

Fares rising in 2009 is speculation (I'll acknowledge that Huberman mentioned the possibility on the noon WGN News), although I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. And if it happens, it won't be just because seniors get free rides (that probably will be covered in the state budget, since the state has historically covered the half fare subsidy, and the mandate is on all transit agencies, not just the RTA), but because the recovery ratio exemption is being phased out, and because no unit of government can be trusted to keep its spending under control.

Just as certain seniors do not have the inalienable right to half or free fares, transit riders do not have the inalienable right against fare increases. The only certainty is that someone will have their hands in the taxpayers' pocket.

Also, rest assured that seniors in $50,000 Cadillacs (or in my area, Lexuses or $100,000 Mercedes Benzes) are not riding the bus at all, certainly not for free, and are paying the sales tax increase on their cars. In fact, since many of them lease, and turn in their cars after 3 years, they may be hit with a bigger sales tax burden than most.

If we want to speculate about the effects of the bill, why not this one:

Under the Niles Free Bus arrangement, the Village of Niles "pays the fares." Since there are a lot of seniors using the bus, does this mean that local taxpayers are off the hook to some extent? Or will Pace have to install senior pass card readers in the Niles buses to account?

I'm sure nothing of the sort will happen, but if we have to speculate about the remotely foreseeable, that's as good as any.

The transit bill has been approved, and seniors get free rides in about two months' time. But, with impending fares rising in 2009 for people under 65, the question now should be who should get this free service? I think it should be for seniors under a certain amount of income. There are seniors out there that can afford $50,000 Cadillacs. Why should that group get a free ride on our buses and trains, while the rest will be forced to pay more after 2008?

How about the people who are presently eligible for senior fares, ie, those who have the proper RTA identification.

• 3 months later...

Honestly, I don't think ANYONE should be getting free fares. The seniors were getting to ride for half-price, which is a pretty sweet deal already, and I fail to see why the taxpayers should be on the hook for the other half of their fares.

I also don't see why uniformed military should get free rides, either. The CTA could sell Great Lakes some passes at a discount to be available at the PX, but I really don't think anyone should be riding transit for free - if it's of so little value to people that you have to give it away for them to use it, then maybe our taxes should be invested elsewhere (and I say that as a very pro-transit person who doesn't even own a car).

Honestly, I don't think ANYONE should be getting free fares. The seniors were getting to ride for half-price, which is a pretty sweet deal already, and I fail to see why the taxpayers should be on the hook for the other half of their fares.

I also don't see why uniformed military should get free rides, either. The CTA could sell Great Lakes some passes at a discount to be available at the PX, but I really don't think anyone should be riding transit for free - if it's of so little value to people that you have to give it away for them to use it, then maybe our taxes should be invested elsewhere (and I say that as a very pro-transit person who doesn't even own a car).

Unfortunately, you are about 3 to 4 months too late for this to have any consequence.

Well now you know what to do when Gov. Blago runs for another term then...

I didnt like the fact that seniors get free rides either. The Governor used it as a tactic to get more voters plus he couldnt get his original plan approved anyway. He figured he got beat down hard so he throws this in so he wouldnt look like an idiot.

I'll jump on the band wagon on the anti-free ride banter. Believe it or not, there are a lot of seniors I see daily who, although, are thankful for the program, don't think they should be riding for free. Blago will either get voted out or convicted...no sure which will come first. Also, he looks like an idiot anyway.

• 2 weeks later...