Electric buses/Trackless Trolley

Archon

If anyone has seen the video "90 Years of Chicago traction" There is a good film section of the history of the Chicago Trolley Bus network. The old 1930s Twin Coaches and some good color video of Marmon Herringtons and also Brill #9762 on Pulaski. Excellent footage.

If anyone has seen the video "90 Years of Chicago traction" There is a good film section of the history of the Chicago Trolley Bus network. The old 1930s Twin Coaches and some good color video of Marmon Herringtons and also Brill #9762 on Pulaski. Excellent footage.

Do you have a video copy or how can I get a copy of ? Seems so interesting!

• 6 years later...

To all,

Regarding 47th St and 51st-55th St trolley bus lines.

Does anyone know what garage(s) they operated from, and what models

of trackless trolleys operated on them?

Because of their location, I suspect probably Archer Garage,

but I don't know what other garages were available in that time frame.

Also, noting that these were converted to motor bus far earlier than most other

trolley bus lines, were there specific events that caused them to be singled out

for conversion at those early dates?

Thanks,

Samana09

To all,

Regarding 47th St and 51st-55th St trolley bus lines.

Does anyone know what garage(s) they operated from, and what models

of trackless trolleys operated on them?

Because of their location, I suspect probably Archer Garage,

but I don't know what other garages were available in that time frame.

Also, noting that these were converted to motor bus far earlier than most other

trolley bus lines, were there specific events that caused them to be singled out

for conversion at those early dates?

Thanks,

Samana09

Archer (per an early CTA system map in Lind's book).

In the case of 51-55 the trolley buses were phased out contemporaneously with redevelopment of 55th St. in Hyde Park. For instance, the University Apartments were built in the middle of 55th St., and I'm pretty sure the authorities didn't want them encircled with trolley wire, nor did CTA want to restring them.

Also, by that time, the two routes were pretty isolated from the rest of the system (mostly on the north and some on the west sides).

• 2 weeks later...

Busjack is correct. Both routes were out of Archer Garage (as per CTA driver's individual route maps). 47th had short turn wyes at Evans, Shields, Normal and Mozart. 51st-55th had them at Maryland, Wells, and Hoyne. The west terminal at St. Louis was also a wye.

And to answer the original question, there were several types of switches. A power switch, which threw one way of you coasted through it and the other way if you powered through it. Selectric switches, which sensed the position of the poles and threw accordingly. Spring switches which were set one way and could be sprung through when trailing. And mechanical switches which required the driver to get out and pull a rope to set the switch.

Archer (per an early CTA system map in Lind's book).

In the case of 51-55 the trolley buses were phased out contemporaneously with redevelopment of 55th St. in Hyde Park. For instance, the University Apartments were built in the middle of 55th St., and I'm pretty sure the authorities didn't want them encircled with trolley wire, nor did CTA want to restring them.

Also, by that time, the two routes were pretty isolated from the rest of the system (mostly on the north and some on the west sides).

51st/55th originally used Brills, later (after 1951 or so) Marmons when Brills all were moved to North Av. 47th used Marmons always. Bothwere out of Archer. 51st/55th was bussed when 55th St was completely rebuilt Cottage Grove to Lake Park, 47th's end came when Lake Park was rebuilt and 47th/Lake park terminal (which was almost exactly where it is today but consisted of a counterclockwise loop via 47th-Lake Park-the back of a gas station-Blackstone-47th) was replaced by what is there now. In the 1960's CTA refused to put up any new wire. Kedzie/California went because of the new bridge over the Sanitary & Ship Canal, Chicago because of the new viaduct at Halsted, Armitage because Ogden was closed north of Wisconsin Av. Parts of 51st and 47th kept wires for years, west of Kedzie, as short turn wire for Kedzie TB's. Wire on Archer Kedzie to Rockwell was also taken down right away.
  • Upvote 1