3Track Part 2

jajuan

It's just been announced today that the second phase of Three Track operations for the Red/Purple/Brown lines will begin on March 30th. I saw the news report on the 5 PM edition of ABC7 News. Brown Line trains will also begin operating eight-car trains on this same date. So it looks like enough stations have been or will be renovated by then to accomodate this anticipated change on the Brown Line. No more trying to squeeze into the current six-car trains starting then.

Brown Line trains will also begin operating eight-car trains on this same date.
I heard the same. The interesting question is where they will get the cars or store them. Maybe part of the solution is that in the short term, fewer trains are running, but the question may remain when the work is almost done and the 5000s haven't been delivered in force.

I heard the same. The interesting question is where they will get the cars or store them. Maybe part of the solution is that in the short term, fewer trains are running, but the question may remain when the work is almost done and the 5000s haven't been delivered in force.

According to the yard supervisor at Kimball, there are pretty close to enough cars to cover the Brown Line. He said the same would be true even after work had stopped. What he said was that, if necessary, the transfers would likely come from Midway and 98th.

According to the yard supervisor at Kimball, there are pretty close to enough cars to cover the Brown Line. He said the same would be true even after work had stopped. What he said was that, if necessary, the transfers would likely come from Midway and 98th.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering the same thing as Busjack.

• 1 month later...

What gives with all the panic mode again regarding the start of the new phase. Has there not been an ongoing delay (overblown in the Kruse age, remember) and bus enhancement for the past year now. Why are we putting the public in panic mode again. Did we not find out at the start that the loss of a couple of trains really was not all that catostrophic. And now with longer Ravenswood trains, the impact there should be offset and again be minimal.

What gives with all the panic mode again regarding the start of the new phase. Has there not been an ongoing delay (overblown in the Kruse age, remember) and bus enhancement for the past year now. Why are we putting the public in panic mode again. Did we not find out at the start that the loss of a couple of trains really was not all that catostrophic. And now with longer Ravenswood trains, the impact there should be offset and again be minimal.

That's true. The first phase was never really bad as thought from the very beginning of construction. True the AM rush will be impacted now instead of PM, but just give the people the proper info they need without throwing them in a panic and they should be intelligent enough to adjusst accordingly.

I think phase 2 is going to be pretty bad if it continues operationally as it did today. The extra Red line trains stage between Sedgwick and Belmont on the northbound Ravenswood tracks.

Has anyone else had a rough time with the start of Phase 2? The news hasn't really been giving a completely clear picture of how the first day went. Though I don't think Phase 2 will be total doom, it still will be tougher than Phase 1 with it affecting the AM rush when more people are trying to reach work or school instead of heading home from those locations.

• 3 months later...

So it seems that they're getting closer to finishing the three-track work at the Belmont & Fullerton Stations. Back 3 weeks ago, crews finished constructing Track 2 (Southbound Red Line Track) at Fullerton. Now today, it appears based on this press release, crews finished Track 2 at Belmont. After 7pm Tonight, they will start shutting down Track 1 (SB Brown Line Tracks) so they can start on that. Talk about quickness!