Blue er Pink Line

trainman8119

Talk about media turning nothing into something. Todays tv news and newspapers are reporting that the CTA is closing the 54th/Cermak branch of the Blue Line. Talk about inaccurate reporting. The branch is the Pink Line and not the Blue Line. Even though there are rush hour trips that will route into the Blue Line, to say that this is closing is somewhat irresponsible. To say that Blue Line trips to 54th/Cermak are being discontinued, would be more proper. Let's get people all in a tizzy for nothing. When I first heard these erroneous reports, I though all that rehab was being wasted, only to find out it is more of a cosmetic change than anything else.

Yep, the headline was misleading. It looks as though it was an AP story, run without any original thought by the Sun-Times and Tribune.

I am glad you guys agree with me. It is not an AP story. I sent an e-mail to the author and this is the response I received from Ms. Wisniewski:

The 54th/Cermak Blue and Pink Lines are separate lines, even though they run over most of the same track and make most of the same stops. So it is accurate to say that the Blue Line 54th/Cermak branch is being cut — that’s what the CTA is saying. As I explained in the story, those most affected by this will be people who take the 54th/Cermak to UIC or to O’Hare. They will have to alter their commutes. It also adds time to the commutes of people who work in the south Loop — because the Pink Line takes a northerly route to go downtown. But I see where you’re coming from — the 54th/Cermak Blue Line branch hasn’t been much of a branch since the Pink Line started, and most people just take the Pink Line. Hopefully, the expansion of the bus service and the service on the other lines will make things easier for everyone.

Unfortunately, I don't agree with her assessment. I also sent (basically) the same e-mail to the CTA webmaster (since I don't have any other web contacts for them) and asked them to forward it to their media people as well as Hubie. If I get a reply, I'll note it.

The Tribune article with the headline "CTA plans to close one branch of Blue Line rapid transit service" was credited to the AP. You are undoubtedly referring to the Sun-Times one, with the headline "Blue line branch to close". Given the similarity, you wonder where the Trib gets its news. However, the Sun-Times article was more elaborate, and you say that the author did accept the attribution.

Both headlines, though, are misleading, even if the point that the Pink Line was there was eventually made.

One might note that the CTA's emphasis was the opposite, as the headline of its press release was "CTA Increasing Service on West Side Bus Routes, Green and Blue Lines" and the whole Douglas issue was down in paragraph 6.

By the way, for those of you who think I am nasty here, I have demonstrated my disdain for current journalistic standards on various posts on the Tribune Topix forums, which are really worthless.

By the way, for those of you who think I am nasty here, I have demonstrated my disdain for current journalistic standards on various posts on the Tribune Topix forums, which are really worthless.

I don't think you are nasty here, but the owner of the Tribune, Mr. Sam Zell, a.k.a the big bad Billy Goat might have this to say about you dissing his Tribune Topix Forums.... "F*** You!!!".

With this announcement of the suspension of the Blue Line trips serving the Cermak (Douglas) Branch, look for both the Green Line and the Pink Line to be assigned additional cars. At the moment, this looks like some of the Brown Line 3200s (and perhaps the Yellow Line 3400s) might be officially assigned to both of those lines, while the Green Line 2400s might then be reassigned to the Howard Yard. The Brown Line might then be compensated for the loss of its 3300s/3400s with Red Line 2600s. (This assumes that the equipment consolidation, which has happened to the buses, is to go forward for trains.)

I was a bit concerned at first till I read the article. The Pink line is my favorite way to go downtown and it's NOT full of slow zones! Actually it's just the opposite, My wife and I went downtown on 3/3. We had a "leadfoot" type operator coming back to 54th and we both enjoyed it. I really hate it when a train is creeping along, like the Douglas before the rehab.

FYI I'm a long time "L" enthusiast who just found this board the other day. My "claim to fame" is 2 pics I took got posted on chicago-l.org.

I was a bit concerned at first till I read the article. The Pink line is my favorite way to go downtown and it's NOT full of slow zones! Actually it's just the opposite, My wife and I went downtown on 3/3. We had a "leadfoot" type operator coming back to 54th and we both enjoyed it. I really hate it when a train is creeping along, like the Douglas before the rehab.

FYI I'm a long time "L" enthusiast who just found this board the other day. My "claim to fame" is 2 pics I took got posted on chicago-l.org.

I hope you are just saying that the headline confused you too. The Pink Line better not be slow, considering that it was, for the most part, rebuilt from scratch a couple of years ago.

I hope you are just saying that the headline confused you too. The Pink Line better not be slow, considering that it was, for the most part, rebuilt from scratch a couple of years ago.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant, the headline was very confusing.

I spent many weekends watching the Pink line being rebuilt, it was fascinating to me.