New Track North of Redline Cermak Stop

kendo26

I don't think it's actual storage. They do have a lot of equipment and these tracks weren't there two weeks ago. I'll have to take a picture to better explain what I'm seeing.

I saw it for myself today. It's really hard to explain, and also can't be drawn online in this forum box. I'll draw a picture later tonight, scan it, and post it online for you guys out there still eager for a picture of how it looks.

I saw it for myself today. It's really hard to explain, and also can't be drawn online in this forum box. I'll draw a picture later tonight, scan it, and post it online for you guys out there still eager for a picture of how it looks.

Finally, I got a picture; yes, I know it's horrible and bad, but it's the best I can do. The brownish line branching off from the northbound track is it. Original picture by Graham Garfield, used for illustrative purposes only.

post-270-1205727748_thumb.jpg

Ok, Here's a picture taken from the Orange Line as I passed by. It's not the best either.

I don't think this pic is showing what you want it to show. It looks like to me that it is the CNIC/Metra interlocking at Clark Street (and 14th). If you look to the center right, the building in the pic is the Clark Street tower and the track turning to the left is a connection between the 2 lines. To further support this, there is no 3rd rail anyplace indicating this would be CTA tracks. I would imagine this would be considerably further north than the you are speaking of.

Here's a Google Earth image of the area. You can see where the Red Line tunnel is. Are you saying the new track you're talking about is coming off the tracks going into the tunnel?

The track in question branches off to the right of the northbound Red Line track just before the Red line enters the tunnel. This track that everyone has been asking about is a temporary track that the workers eliminating the slow zones have been using to store their equipment as they work on the Red Line subway tracks during those nights and weekends that the Red Line has to be rerouted to the elevated tracks in one direction or another for slow elimination work. It's similar to those temporary tracks that are currently on the side of the outbound Blue line tracks at the UIC-Halsted station that the Blue line slow zone construction workers are storing their construction equipment on while working on the Forest Park Blue Line slow zones. There used to be similar temporary tracks just east of the Kedzie-Homan station and just east of the Western station on the Forest Park/Blue Line branch.

The track in question branches off to the right of the northbound Red Line track just before the Red line enters the tunnel. This track that everyone has been asking about is a temporary track that the workers eliminating the slow zones have been using to store their equipment as they work on the Red Line subway tracks during those nights and weekends that the Red Line has to be rerouted to the elevated tracks in one direction or another for slow elimination work. It's similar to those temporary tracks that are currently on the side of the outbound Blue line tracks at the UIC-Halsted station that the Blue line slow zone construction workers are storing their construction equipment on while working on the Forest Park Blue Line slow zones. There used to be similar temporary tracks just east of the Kedzie-Homan station and just east of the Western station on the Forest Park/Blue Line branch.

Do you think that this has anything to do with the block 37 superstation construction? Your explaination sounds good Jajuan, but what seems to be bothering me is that you guys are referring to this new track as if it was just constructed. ( I don't know I don't ride the Red line there too often.) Slow zone tie replacement has been going on in the Red Line subway since late last fall, and if this new work track has newly been installed, why would it be done when the tie project is half over. Also they would have to blow out those walls soon at block 37 and cut the platform at the Red line, a gigantic task, if they intend to open the station in less than 9 months. Also they would have to resignal everything down there for the new service. What do you think?

Do you think that this has anything to do with the block 37 superstation construction? Your explaination sounds good Jajuan, but what seems to be bothering me is that you guys are referring to this new track as if it was just constructed. ( I don't know I don't ride the Red line there too often.) Slow zone tie replacement has been going on in the Red Line subway since late last fall, and if this new work track has newly been installed, why would it be done when the tie project is half over. Also they would have to blow out those walls soon at block 37 and cut the platform at the Red line, a gigantic task, if they intend to open the station in less than 9 months. Also they would have to resignal everything down there for the new service. What do you think?

It would make sense, but I think I remember Busjack or one of the other members mentioning rumor that the Block 37 superstation project was stalled due to financial issues. Yes the slow zone tie replacement has been going on in the Red Line subway since late last fall. However, recent overnight one track operation in the subway between the Lake and Roosevelt stations suggested to me that work still needed to be done on the portion of the tracks between those two stations. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's what it is. The most recent reroutings to the elevated tracks supports my thinking on this. The work being done in the subway now is to repair slow zones in the southern portion of the subway. In fact, the northbound track at the Roosevelt station is now currently part of a 6 mph slow zone.

It would make sense, but I think I remember Busjack or one of the other members mentioning rumor that the Block 37 superstation project was stalled due to financial issues.
Not me, although I hadn't heard that there was any progress getting a private contractor to operate the airport service, once the consultant developed the preliminary proposal.

You basically have 2 projects going there, the new ties, and the Block 37 crossover.

The reference to the red box in the picture in the area of a spur looked like a crane to me, which would reinforce the reason you gave for the track.

Not me, although I hadn't heard that there was any progress getting a private contractor to operate the airport service, once the consultant developed the preliminary proposal.

You basically have 2 projects going there, the new ties, and the Block 37 crossover.

The reference to the red box in the picture in the area of a spur looked like a crane to me, which would reinforce the reason you gave for the track.

Sorry if I confused you as mentioning it Busjack. I just remember it was one of the members who would be pretty well informed about these kinds of things, that's why you came to mind.