Pilot New Flyer Should Be Here Soon

sw4400

September starts, I believe the 4th Quarter of 2005. According to the info provided by New Flyer, the CTA prototype for the new wave of New Flyers is due here for trial runs. I don't mean to sound selfish, but I hope it is put on the #11 Lincoln route for trials, because I felt so left out because of the CompoBus only being on #62 before retirement. I never had a chance to ride that new bus.

Several logical lapses here.

1. The third quarter extends through September.

2. Experience with the Novas indicate that the test is not what buses they replace, but how CTA wants to meet service standards (average age and number of series at each garage). For instance, the Novas were supposed to replace 4000s, but despite reports in the Tribune that the year 2002 group was going to NP, K, and 103, which then had most of the 4000s, they went to C and F. 4400s were moved out of A, C, and F to make room for the Novas. This would leave K, NP, 74, and 103 most eligible for the New Flyers, but since NP and 103 are mostly 7500s, my money is on K and 74 (because those barns have the oldest average age). In any event, various interest groups would complain if A and C have an entirely new fleet of Novas and Flyers, while 74 got nothing since 1995.

If things were done according to this logic, A, C, and F should have kept the 4400s and lost the Flxibles, but that wasn't what was done.

• 3 weeks later...