The Free Enterprise System

I'm pretty sure just about everyone seen one of there buses around the city. They have transit busses but I can't figure out what they are. I checked the website but they aren't mentioned on it for some odd reason. I want to ride on one, seeing as though CTA doesn't -have- it. ;_;

I'm pretty sure just about everyone seen one of there buses around the city. They have transit busses but I can't figure out what they are. I checked the website but they aren't mentioned on it for some odd reason. I want to ride on one, seeing as though CTA doesn't -have- it. ;_;

Those are 1997 or 1998 Nabi high floor buses ex AC Transit in Oakland California.

James Roach

This was previously discussed starting with the indicated post and following with regard to the Northwestern Shuttle, but at the time the buses were blank, instead of with the Free Enterprise logo. However, why the corporate vendor's name keeps changing is a mystery. I see they still give a Lansing number, which would indicate it is still somehow related to the Van der Aa operation. Maybe this Loyola newspaper article explains it.

They're shuttle buses for Northwestern. I have no idea what the routes are though.

They are also doing Loyola shuttles between the north shore and downtown. Those buses are more packed than the Northwestern ones are...but that could be because there are more Northwestern buses running out there than Loyola ones.

Van Der AA is the parent company of

Royal American Charter Lines which operates the Northwestern shuttle. They used to have Bluebird coaches painted in the Royal American paint scheme, but I guess they ditched them for the Free Enterprises. Free Enterprise Systems is a charter operation based out of Jeffersonville, Indiana, which is across the river from Louisville, KY. Free Enterprise is one the 50 largest coach operators in the country.

Van Der AA is the parent company of

Royal American Charter Lines which operates the Northwestern shuttle. They used to have Bluebird coaches painted in the Royal American paint scheme, but I guess they ditched them for the Free Enterprises. Free Enterprise Systems is a charter operation based out of Jeffersonville, Indiana, which is across the river from Louisville, KY. Free Enterprise is one the 50 largest coach operators in the country.

But that doesn't explain how the Loyola and Northwestern shuttles, the first that used Royal American buses and the second that announced that it had a contract with an affiliate of Royal American, now are both served by buses with the Free Enterprise logo, and the faq page of the Northwestern website says to contact Free Enterprise at the Lansing phone number for lost and found.

But that doesn't explain how the Loyola and Northwestern shuttles, the first that used Royal American buses and the second that announced that it had a contract with an affiliate of Royal American, now are both served by buses with the Free Enterprise logo, and the faq page of the Northwestern website says to contact Free Enterprise at the Lansing phone number for lost and found.

Based on my research, it appears the Free Enterprise System purchased Royal American back in 2007. The Lansing number was a Royal American number (even on the www.royalride.com website), but as you stated, it is answered Free Enterprise System. According to the Secretary of State's Corp/LLC Certificates of Good Standing, when I entered Free Enterprise System, it came up Free Enterprise System/Royal LLC. The certificate date is 10/31/2007.

They are supposed to lose the Free Enterprise logos and be replaced with the school's logo. I think it should have been done by now but it hasn't.

Royal American bought out Robinson and now Free Enterprise bought out Royal and assumed the contracts (or got the new ones)

• 7 months later...

Heres a pic of one of the ex AC Transit Nabis. I caught this bus last week heading WB on I-80 at Torrence.
Was doing some bus hunting today, and saw a mess of them (expectedly) coming off I-80 at Torrence.

Also, saw a mess of them in Evanston, once of which had an orange LED headsign, with "Have a Nice Day."

Was doing some bus hunting today, and saw a mess of them (expectedly) coming off I-80 at Torrence.

Also, saw a mess of them in Evanston, once of which had an orange LED headsign, with "Have a Nice Day."

Makes sense... Northwestern Campus shuttles run by Royal American... Now a Free Enterprise System owned company. (By State st and 168th.) Why Torrence? No toll at this exit. My employers coaches met Royals coaches there when we did trips for/with them.

Makes sense... Northwestern Campus shuttles run by Royal American... Now a Free Enterprise System owned company. (By State st and 168th.) Why Torrence? No toll at this exit. My employers coaches met Royals coaches there when we did trips for/with them.

As it appears that they are some sort of successor to Van der Aa/Royal American (previously discussed), that was headquartered in Lansing.

Their old website is still up, and Googling that address puts it SE of the 394/80 interchange, i.e accessible only at Torrence.

The real question is whether they are deadheading to there, or the Northwestern buses still use the Evanston lot of a predecessor (Robinson Coach).

The real question is whether they are deadheading to there, or the Northwestern buses still use the Evanston lot of a predecessor (Robinson Coach).

I think they deadhead. When I worked a morning job out of Blue Island a few months

ago, there were dozens of their buses headed north on the Dan Ryan out of service.

On the way home, they were headed back south. I don't think they use the Robinson

lot at all.