Possibility of a New Station on the Green Line

Zol87

Might be better bus connection, but the folks at West Randolph Street Market have been lobbying for at Morgan.

The Halsted bus is mostly set up to transfer to the Blue Line at UIC (as indicated by that is where the garage runs end).

I guess the surprise is with all the years of the defunct Campaign for Better Transit agitating for this (including paying for it with TIF funds), the city finally decided to fund it.

I admit that the one time I walked from Clinton to the Taste of Randolph, it was not pleasant.

There also will be a Mc Cormick Place stop, most likely Cermak, and a stop between the Ashland/California gap. Most likely the stop will be Western or Damen.

With the proximity of bus service near Cermak, I still don't believe a train stop there is necessary.

Rather than an additional stop between Ashland and California on the Green Line, I would prefer to see a United Center stop on the Pink Line. But if a stop must surface on that stretch of Lake Street, I believe Damen is the most logical choice due to the area being more residential.

With the proximity of bus service near Cermak, I still don't believe a train stop there is necessary.

Rather than an additional stop between Ashland and California on the Green Line, I would prefer to see a United Center stop on the Pink Line. But if a stop must surface on that stretch of Lake Street, I believe Damen is the most logical choice due to the area being more residential.

I've got mixed emotions about a Cermak Green Line station. I can remember when there was one previously. During certain McCormick place events CTA would run fishbowls with destination signs which said 21 NORTH-SOUTH RAPID TRANSIT (black letters on a yellow background). I think a station would be useful but I admit liking the quick ride between Roosevelt and 35th street.

Gene King

Again, you folks have to distinguish between possibilities (the headline for this thread) and what is funded. The source cited by Zol indicates that Morgan is funded. On the other hand, despite what BusAngel asserts about "will be," the word from CTA PR answering questions on the CTA Tattler has indicated that there is no capital funding source yet found for projects such as United Center-Pink Line and 18th-Green Line, and hence no certainly that they "will be."

Also, the response re the New Starts indicate that for the conceivable future, the only thing that will be accomplished is keeping consultants off the unemployment line (unless our new President can actually get construction funds back to his neighborhood).

I found a document on the city's Planning & Development web page about planning improvements for the near west side & the near south side. They both mention the proposed station sites. Here is the transit sections.

Near West Transportation Plan

Near South Transportation Plan

It is not clear when the west side document was prepared (no obvious date). It seems somewhat dated, in that it refers to closing ramps (which happened a couple of years ago), the trolley system (the Sun-Times reports that that is being canceled) and the "recent" opening of the Grand-Milwaukee station.

The South Side one has a date (April 2003) but numerous references to "explore," "investigate," etc. The two things that seem close to coming to fruition are reopening the Polk entrance and the Roosevelt Road ME station.

It is not clear when the west side document was prepared (no obvious date). It seems somewhat dated, in that it refers to closing ramps (which happened a couple of years ago), the trolley system (the Sun-Times reports that that is being canceled) and the "recent" opening of the Grand-Milwaukee station.

The South Side one has a date (April 2003) but numerous references to "explore," "investigate," etc. The two things that seem close to coming to fruition are reopening the Polk entrance and the Roosevelt Road ME station.

It's from June 2000.

Here is the main page for this project.

Near West Side Table of Contents

Again, you folks have to distinguish between possibilities (the headline for this thread) and what is funded. The source cited by Zol indicates that Morgan is funded. On the other hand, despite what BusAngel asserts about "will be," the word from CTA PR answering questions on the CTA Tattler has indicated that there is no capital funding source yet found for projects such as United Center-Pink Line and 18th-Green Line, and hence no certainly that they "will be."

Also, the response re the New Starts indicate that for the conceivable future, the only thing that will be accomplished is keeping consultants off the unemployment line (unless our new President can actually get construction funds back to his neighborhood).

There is no need for any funding sources now for the "will be stations" because Morgan has to be done first. This is a step by step process and Zol87 already gave you the evidence of other stations in the future that "will be" built.

There is no need for any funding sources now for the "will be stations" because Morgan has to be done first. This is a step by step process and Zol87 already gave you the evidence of other stations in the future that "will be" built.
Depends on your definition of "will be," and also as demonstrated by my dialogue with Zol, when. Since CTA PR confirms not in the immediate future for Madison-Pink and 18th-Green, you or I may not live to see it.

After all, as mentioned, the Franklin St. subway "will be built," according to reports in the late 1960s, but if that was referring to Franklin St. in Chicago (as opposed to Philly), hasn't happened, and with the 40 year FTA life for the new station at Washington and Wells, probably won't. One can also think about the defunct Downtown Circulator multimodal use of the streets (as George Krambles put it, or streetcar).

You can look at all of Chicago-L.org's list of transit plans, and tell me how many (other than to Jefferson Park and the Orange Line as a substitute for the Archer subway) ever got built.

Also, the way CTA usually talks, it takes funding to get a project going. CTA has never talked about deferring asking for funding to prioritize its projects--everything on Ask Carole has been to the contrary ("Our region has an obligation to seek federal funds for these extensions just as we have an obligation to maintain what we already have.").

After all, as mentioned, the Franklin St. subway "will be built," according to reports in the late 1960s, but if that was referring to Franklin St. in Chicago (as opposed to Philly), hasn't happened, and with the 40 year FTA life for the new station at Washington and Wells, probably won't. One can also think about the defunct Downtown Circulator multimodal use of the streets (as George Krambles put it, or streetcar).

You can look at all of Chicago-L.org's list of transit plans, and tell me how many (other than to Jefferson Park and the Orange Line as a substitute for the Archer subway) ever got built.

What you are saying may be true, but I am talking about stations not forgotten rail line projects.

The stations that "will be" are going to happen whether you believe it or not. Funding sources will not be released until the Morgan station is finalized. Most likely the stations will be funded by the city becasue of the olympics. This means you and me will live to see the stations built. LOL!

What you are saying may be true, but I am talking about stations not forgotten rail line projects.

The stations that "will be" are going to happen whether you believe it or not. Funding sources will not be released until the Morgan station is finalized. Most likely the stations will be funded by the city becasue of the olympics. This means you and me will live to see the stations built. LOL!

Again, what is your source of information? Not that they are planned, but they "will be" and CTA is deferring asking for the funding? The CTA Tattler has disclosed its source (CTA PR reviewed by Huberman).

Also, it seems like you are one of those chanting the mantra that the feds will come to the CTA's rescue with infrastructure funds when Chicago gets the Olympics. While I don't see the basis for that conclusion, what happens if Chicago doesn't get the Olympics? And of what relevance are the particular station projects to the Olympics?

Your saying or wishing doesn't make it so. Maybe if you go up to Mayor Daley and ask him to release the TIF money he is holding, maybe something would happen, but except for the cases of the hole under Block 37, and the report about the Morgan station, he sure hasn't. In fact, blowing A QUARTER BILLION of someone's money (whether the developer's, TIF, CTA's, or probably some combination thereof) on Block 37 without any benefit to the riders makes the other projects less likely.

Again, what is your source of information? Not that they are planned, but they "will be" and CTA is deferring asking for the funding? The CTA Tattler has disclosed its source (CTA PR reviewed by Huberman).

Also, it seems like you are one of those chanting the mantra that the feds will come to the CTA's rescue with infrastructure funds when Chicago gets the Olympics. While I don't see the basis for that conclusion, what happens if Chicago doesn't get the Olympics? And of what relevance are the particular station projects to the Olympics?

Your saying or wishing doesn't make it so. Maybe if you go up to Mayor Daley and ask him to release the TIF money he is holding, maybe something would happen, but except for the cases of the hole under Block 37, and the report about the Morgan station, he sure hasn't. In fact, blowing A QUARTER BILLION of someone's money (whether the developer's, TIF, CTA's, or probably some combination thereof) on Block 37 without any benefit to the riders makes the other projects less likely.

First, if the olympics don't happen, the stations will be built because it was planned in the beginning for the greenline rehab. It just never happened. Second, as tragic as block 37 is, the proposed stations won't happen that way.

First, if the olympics don't happen, the stations will be built because it was planned in the beginning for the greenline rehab. It just never happened. Second, as tragic as block 37 is, the proposed stations won't happen that way.

Tragic or stupid? Did someone die that we didn't know about?

For that matter, according to Chicago-L.org, 58 and Dorchester were at least partially rehabbed, and according to that site Dorchester during the rehab project. As discussed, there was, until recently a reason for the East 63rd signs. Are they (the signs or the stations) coming back? Or was the work done on them a "tragic mistake."

Lets face it--you never answered Buslover's and my questions, and the reason is that you are making this up. Since you said elsewhere "I don't have to prove anything to you," be assured that you have proved nothing, at least about what the CTA "will do." Especially when Ron Huberman or staff have said to the contrary in the CTA Tattler.

Depends on your definition of "will be," and also as demonstrated by my dialogue with Zol, when. Since CTA PR confirms not in the immediate future for Madison-Pink and 18th-Green, you or I may not live to see it.

Also, the way CTA usually talks, it takes funding to get a project going. CTA has never talked about deferring asking for funding to prioritize its projects--everything on Ask Carole has been to the contrary ("Our region has an obligation to seek federal funds for these extensions just as we have an obligation to maintain what we already have.").

If you ride the Blue Line west on Lake Street as the tunnel turns under Milwaukee , you can see there was some effort to build and continue the tunnel westward under Lake Street (if only for a few hundred feet or so). I don't know what the plan was for that unless it was to tear the Loop L down. But you're right, nothing under Franklin. For that matter there was even talk of a subway serving Union Station (either Clinton or Canal). All talk, no funding, no action

Tragic or stupid? Did someone die that we didn't know about?

For that matter, according to Chicago-L.org, 58 and Dorchester were at least partially rehabbed, and according to that site Dorchester during the rehab project. As discussed, there was, until recently a reason for the East 63rd signs. Are they (the signs or the stations) coming back? Or was the work done on them a "tragic mistake."

Lets face it--you never answered Buslover's and my questions, and the reason is that you are making this up. Since you said elsewhere "I don't have to prove anything to you," be assured that you have proved nothing, at least about what the CTA "will do." Especially when Ron Huberman or staff have said to the contrary in the CTA Tattler.

Past cta mistakes don't hinder future projects. And just because I don't respond to ignorance doesn't mean my info is wrong. I know exactly about these stations because I have seen the proposals and plans. These plans include dates for construction, not just presentations. Some info is too confidential to reveal to the world. So whoever doesn't believe it, will see it!

Past cta mistakes don't hinder future projects. ... So whoever doesn't believe it, will see it!

Past is prologue. If there is anything that is predictable, it is that CTA will waste taxpayer money. I don't need confidential information to "see it."

As Huberman, who knows project management knows, crystal balls are irrelevant without goals and timetables. With no timetable here, the goal is worthless. They are saying 10 years or so on the new starts, so since this is "confidential" it is probably longer, and as I said, neither of us may live to see it. They even missed their posted prediction that they would hold a board meeting yesterday.

In fact, I predict that the South Side Green Line will be gone before any of the projected stations are built. Again, I don't need confidential information for that.

We all know that the only one who knows is Mayor Daley, anyway, not you (not even Carol Brown), if it comes to the expenditure of TIF money.

And if you have confidential information, you shouldn't disclose any of it. If you are a CTA employee, they should fire you for divulging as much as you have. However, based on this post, you demonstrated that you don't have any inside information (surely not about CTA bus operations), or you wouldn't have to ask.

Past is prologue. If there is anything that is predictable, it is that CTA will waste taxpayer money. I don't need confidential information to "see it."

As Huberman, who knows project management knows, crystal balls are irrelevant without goals and timetables. With no timetable here, the goal is worthless. They are saying 10 years or so on the new starts, so since this is "confidential" it is probably longer, and as I said, neither of us may live to see it. They even missed their posted prediction that they would hold a board meeting yesterday.

In fact, I predict that the South Side Green Line will be gone before any of the projected stations are built. Again, I don't need confidential information for that.

We all know that the only one who knows is Mayor Daley, anyway, not you (not even Carol Brown), if it comes to the expenditure of TIF money.

And if you have confidential information, you shouldn't disclose any of it. If you are a CTA employee, they should fire you for divulging as much as you have. However, based on this post, you demonstrated that you don't have any inside information (surely not about CTA bus operations), or you wouldn't have to ask.

Once again you don't know what I know. And there are plenty of CTA employees on this forum that give away "confidential" info, so why do you think I should lose my job?

Once again you don't know what I know. And there are plenty of CTA employees on this forum that give away "confidential" info, so why do you think I should lose my job?
True but it was cta that provided me with that info. Not saying that they are 100% honest. However in certain situations they do come through.

Or you have been exposed. It is easier for you to hide behind predictions that may come true in 20 years, if at all, but not admit that you were wrong about what "CTA already confirmed," after you dared us with "Enough said, just sit back and watch it happen and then tell me I never told you!" Only took about 5 weeks to debunk that one.

And if you are accusing them of not being 100% honest about a relatively trivial matter, how can you assure us that tragic mistakes using our tax money won't happen in the future?

Here is an idea: Why don't you volunteer to do what Obama is requiring that his job applicants do:

They must include any e-mail that might embarrass the president-elect, along with any blog posts and links to their Facebook pages.

The application also asks applicants to "please list all aliases or 'handles' you have used to communicate on the Internet."

Then you can confirm whether your employer is o.k. with that, or with the CTA people who you allege fed you bad information in the past.

No matter what you say, you have now given us reason to doubt you, as buslover said, despite your confidence about the "proof in the pudding."

Today I would like one of those My-T-Fine chocolate pudding cakes (like they still have at Old Country Buffet).

It looks like two additional station are at least in the planning station within the West Side Corridor.

http://chicagojournal.com/main.asp?Section...amp;TM=39839.73

As you say, in the planning stage.

If anyone was serious about the United Center station, I find it hard to see why that would be put off 10 to 15 years, and would have lower priority than Damen. Also, this might also be tripping over the Circle Line planning.

These unofficial planning agencies don't seem to get much done unless da Mare is behind the plan (of course, with some cash).