Possibility of a New Station on the Green Line

Zol87

It looks like two additional station are at least in the planning station within the West Side Corridor.

http://chicagojournal.com/main.asp?Section...amp;TM=39839.73

This September 2002 presentation from the city's Planning & Development department for the Near Northwest Side also mentions the additional stations.

Near Northwest Plan

Or you have been exposed. It is easier for you to hide behind predictions that may come true in 20 years, if at all, but not admit that you were wrong about what "CTA already confirmed," after you dared us with "Enough said, just sit back and watch it happen and then tell me I never told you!" Only took about 5 weeks to debunk that one.

And if you are accusing them of not being 100% honest about a relatively trivial matter, how can you assure us that tragic mistakes using our tax money won't happen in the future?

Here is an idea: Why don't you volunteer to do what Obama is requiring that his job applicants do:

Then you can confirm whether your employer is o.k. with that, or with the CTA people who you allege fed you bad information in the past.

No matter what you say, you have now given us reason to doubt you, as buslover said, despite your confidence about the "proof in the pudding."

Today I would like one of those My-T-Fine chocolate pudding cakes (like they still have at Old Country Buffet).

Nobody is perfect and you have no reason to doubt me because of mistakes. There are some things I am right about and some things are wrong. You are no different, unless you have something to hide. Things do change like Obama winning the presidency. So judging CTA's past mistakes or pointing out others, doesnt mean things wont change, and that stations wont get built. Yes it does take a whole lot of time but eventually things will get done. It took America over 250 years to change. So why do you insist on being so negative about future transit projects (besides past mistakes)?

So why do you insist on being so negative about future transit projects (besides past mistakes)?
  • Past mistakes (especially this quarter billion blooper).
  • It takes money, which the agency says it doesn't have.
  • A history of plans that did not come to fruition.
  • Aside from the above, I'm not negative on transit plans, I am negative on someone who dared others to prove him wrong, and only now has now admitted his mistake. I don't say something with assuredness and then dump on others like buslover that doubt me and then don't admit it (see, for instance, my response to sw about NP not getting 4000s).
  • Your Nostradamus statements of the assured future, not confirmed by CTA, and in this case, almost expressly contradicted.

unless you have something to hide
Like behind your confidential sources?
So judging CTA's past mistakes or pointing out others, doesnt mean things wont change, and that stations wont get built. Yes it does take a whole lot of time but eventually things will get done. It took America over 250 years to change.
As I said before (and Huberman demonstrates that he understands something about modern business administration), a project, to be completed, must have goals and timetables. "Eventually ... will get done," and then a 250 year example (the U.S. has only been around for 232, and the presidency for 220 BTW) just reinforces my previous belief that one shouldn't challenge someone to wait for something that we won't live to see. You can't win or lose your bet that way. I put a little more faith into someone from a planning agency saying that some station might be 10 to 15 years in the future, but considering the lack of success of any planning agency other than the city getting anything started, don't put much money into that either, except that it probably won't get done in the next 10 years. If the city doesn't put a time frame on it and cough up the money (or get the feds to do so), it probably isn't going to happen. But something is probably never dead until an inconsistent act (i.e. putting new stations on the Loop L precludes tearing it down for the FTA 40 year lifetime, unless they get a waiver, like for Dorchester) or a declaration that it is defunct (like the Monroe St. Central District Distributor, now somewhat reincarnated as the Carroll Street Distributor).

• 3 weeks later...

Here is another article from the Chicago Journal quoting several local area businesses who say that a new L stop at Morgan will improve the area.

Morgan Street CTA

[Louis Manis, a co-owner of Peoria Packing, 1300 W. Lake, said the station would increase foot traffic and alleviate congestion. Lake Street, he noted, isn't served by a bus line either-the closest east-west bus route runs along Madison Street.

He thought new residential dwellers could benefit from the station.

"There's a lot more people living in this area. It's a nice thing. It helps service some of the ridership and whip them down to the Loop from this area," he said. "You got a lot more professionals that need to get down to the Loop."]

Here is another article from the Chicago Journal quoting several local area businesses who say that a new L stop at Morgan will improve the area.

Morgan Street CTA

[Louis Manis, a co-owner of Peoria Packing, 1300 W. Lake, said the station would increase foot traffic and alleviate congestion. Lake Street, he noted, isn't served by a bus line either-the closest east-west bus route runs along Madison Street.

He thought new residential dwellers could benefit from the station.

"There's a lot more people living in this area. It's a nice thing. It helps service some of the ridership and whip them down to the Loop from this area," he said. "You got a lot more professionals that need to get down to the Loop."]

I totally agree.

• 9 months later...

Here is an update. $36M secured so far for funding. Bidding for the project starts October 24th. ETA on completion: Fall 2011. Also the station will serve both Pink and Green line trains.

Morgan CTA Article

Just read the article. Actually it says that bidding would be opened Sept. 24th which was this past Thursday. And that Fall 2011 completion date is for a separate project to move the support columns out of the intersection with Ogden from the street to the sidewalk area. As for the station, if they can keep things on track, after procurement of equipment by the contractor and moving of utilities, they see actual construction set to start for Fall 2010.

• 1 month later...

Just read the article. Actually it says that bidding would be opened Sept. 24th which was this past Thursday. And that Fall 2011 completion date is for a separate project to move the support columns out of the intersection with Ogden from the street to the sidewalk area. As for the station, if they can keep things on track, after procurement of equipment by the contractor and moving of utilities, they see actual construction set to start for Fall 2010.

Sorry, I was posting real quick and didn't read the details carefully

Is CTA going to route the #8 Halsted bus to serve this station?

I certainly don't have the official information, but would tend to doubt it given our prior discussion on why the 82 bus was not rerouted to Conservatory, and the 8 bus already makes connections at 63, as well as with other parts of the L system at Archer, UIC, and Chicago Ave., allowing transfers from there to the Green Line.

• 1 year later...

The CTA has started putting platform beams up on the eastbound side (what will be the south platform) at Morgan St. Currently the Green and Pink Lines are in a slow zone between Racine and Peoria.

About two weeks ago they were installing metal plates on the ends of the elevated structure like they were going to use that to support the station beams. There was also work going on at the street level. Looked like they were pouring concrete to support the beams of the exit stairwells/station entrance area. Also on the yellow they had excavated the holes needed to pour the foundation to Oakton station. (Looks like there past the installation of sewers upgrade which was the first step) Probably the concrete has been poured by now. What interests me about this station is I wonder if they are going to relocate the high voltage wires above. The construction crews are warned of this. Seems a bit unsafe even for a work area let alone a station.

• 6 months later...

Any updates on the progress of the Morgan/Lake station?

BTW, there is talk of now building a new Green Line station at Cermak again.

The one interesting thing here (from a governance viewpoint), is that if one looks at the monthly CTA Construction report, CTA seems to be pretty much out of the construction business (two signal projects being closed out) while the two you mention are CDOT projects (also supposedly the Washington-Wabash proposed station). Both Morgan and Cermak apparently are financed by TIF money (the S-T says with regard to Cermak), although the headline and reference to "congestion fee funding" indicates that the parking tax increase would also go to the latter.