Bank Card with CTA Chip

Busjack

The Tribune had a story basically saying that CTA was studying having banks provide credit or debit cards that also included a chip that would be read by the CTA fare card reader.

Depending on the bank, do you think that the heavy riders of CTA use this?

This also seems to do something for the casual rider, who is not served by the current way of selling prepaid fare media, but not enough, imo.

The end of the article indicates that CTA intends to force its use, eventually, with outlets selling in effect "gift cards" instead of CTA maintaining transit card vending machines.

The Tribune had a story basically saying that CTA was studying having banks provide credit or debit cards that also included a chip that would be read by the CTA fare card reader.

Depending on the bank, do you think that the heavy riders of CTA use this?

This also seems to do something for the casual rider, who is not served by the current way of selling prepaid fare media, but not enough, imo.

The end of the article indicates that CTA intends to force its use, eventually, with outlets selling in effect "gift cards" instead of CTA maintaining transit card vending machines.

This could be a bad idea. The reading strip on the back of the cards for the pinpads at the stores are magnetic, and probably could be de-magnitized by the Chicago Card readers. Since certain Credit Card companies are making 'printed' credit cards(similar to today's Jewel Preferred Cards). These cards rely on their stripping to work, as they cannot be used by an embosser if they fail.

This could be a bad idea. The reading strip on the back of the cards for the pinpads at the stores are magnetic, and probably could be de-magnitized by the Chicago Card readers. Since certain Credit Card companies are making 'printed' credit cards(similar to today's Jewel Preferred Cards). These cards rely on their stripping to work, as they cannot be used by an embosser if they fail.

I'm not an expert at RFID technologies, but I don't believe the Chicago Card readers can de-magnetize anything since they're just giving off radio waves. This would have already been a problem for those who keep their Chicago Card in their wallet along with credit cards when boarding CTA.

Off-topic: I really wish Jewel would make RFID Preferred Cards. I hate having to dig that thing out of my wallet at the self-checkouts.

I'm not an expert at RFID technologies, but I don't believe the Chicago Card readers can de-magnetize anything since they're just giving off radio waves. This would have already been a problem for those who keep their Chicago Card in their wallet along with credit cards when boarding CTA.

Off-topic: I really wish Jewel would make RFID Preferred Cards. I hate having to dig that thing out of my wallet at the self-checkouts.

If I remember correctly, it is the chip in the card that gives off the waves, and the touch pad might only interrogate it. If that is the case, sw is claiming that the cards would self destruct, which seems to be similar to what Kevin is suggesting in saying that the existing Chicago Card would destroy other cards in the wallet.

Going further off topic, I can't stand the self checkouts, and think using the regular ones helps save jobs. But maybe having the card radiate around me would relieve me of the need to remember to take it out and give it to the checker to scan.

What do you folks think of APTA members consolidating smart card standards so that one card can be used in any city? Mind you, I'm not asking about standard transit fares across the US - just being able to use one card with any system's reader.

Gene King

Would seem to make sense, as the banks would be administering the new smart cards, given that CTA says in the article that it wants to get out of the business.

In fact, you might have figured out the way around the RTA's inability to develop a universal fare card also acceptable on Metra. While a casual user from the suburbs might be reluctant to get a CTA card, having any debit, credit, or gift card with the chip work, including on Metra, would be a big plus.

It sounds like the technology is going to be similar to the 'PayPass' readers that a lot of restaurants and retailers have that read some credit or debit cards just by touching the card on the reader instead of swiping the card. If that is the case, I don't think there is much worry for a card strip being demagnetized or else I would have had a problem with my debit card a long time ago at places where I still have to swipe it instead of using the PayPass option. Plus I'm sure banks are going to insist on plenty of testing before implementation if they go along with the idea because this will affect plenty of their customers as well as CTA riders who potentially would use this.