Proposed 2006 Budget

Busjack

Reviewing the proposed budget document after reading the CTA Press Release, I wonder what the riders' reaction will be to the proposal to eliminate issuing transfers with cash fares. I can see the argument that regular riders should use the Chicago Card, and, in my view, the transfer policies were too generous (such as allowing reverse riding).

However, I'm not sure that eliminating transfers is the answer. Before that, I would look at raising the rail fare first, since a free transfer is allowed between any rapid transit line.

Also, the tone of the budget message was more conciliatory this time, but it appears that they are justifying suburbanites paying for the system by having a map of locations of suburban registered holders of Chicago Cards. However, these are also usable on Pace.

Any opinions on these issues?

Sharing transfers was an issue and is probably one of the primary reasons as to why traditional transfers will be elminated.

The 30-day pass will continue to be available for $75. All other passes, such as the 1-day and 7-day pass, will also remain available with no change in price.

It is just another reason why Kruesi has to go. Since this guy has taken over, it has been one fare hike after another and/or reduced service. And through it all, no mention of how he intends to solve the long term problem which will continue and continue. He cant keep crying wolf and expect the pols to fix the problems for him, especially after the bail out last year.

As for the Chicago card...I don't want to hear about speeding up the boarding process until the bike racks are gone. If it takes too long to put money in the fare box, then it takes too long to drop a bike on the front end. I still look at that as a scam to hold on to my money...and I'll never put my money up front like that.  

Once again, the little guy and/or the person who can't afford to put their hard earned money up front all at once takes it on the chin. Discusting !!!!:(:(:(

I don't know...I kinda can stand kruesi and what he has done in the past 8 1/2 years, as opposed to Bellcaster and his Bull$#!@ with the massive reductions of service right before Kruesi took over...

...I still think you can put service up and raise fares, but the one thing that has to be done, and should've been done several years ago, was to properly operate and fund the agency correctly. That audit should've been done years ago, and even worse, should've been more proactive in handling projects like the Brown Line.

I personally think that the Brown Line, the recent bus purchases, and budget war with Springfield will mark Kruesi's downfall as a leader.

back on post: Best way to handle this is to either raise the fare to rail only, or even put it on Peak/Off-Peak service like Pace did in the early 90's.