PudgyM's foray into digital photography

pudgym29

The camera (if you haven't investigated the photograph metadata) is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 [silver].

This is an advanced digital camera with lots of options for both the casual user, and the intrepid photographic essayist.

If you want to know how much it cost, and from where I obtained it, inquire off-forum (lest it be construed as spamming ;) ).

The first two photographs were taken in a custom mode and written to the camera's memory bank, which is why I suspect they are so massive. I didn't have an SDHC card until later that afternoon when I went from Jackson & Halsted to the Micro Center store at Logan Blvd. & Elston Ave.

The third (nighttime) photograph was prompted when: I knew I was going to Delilah's that evening. Bus Tracker showed no buses running east on route #76 Diversey at that time of night. So I rode #77 Belmont and walked from Belmont & Racine to Diversey. I arrived at Diversey, Lincoln, & Racine and see an eastbound #76 Diversey bus about which Bus Tracker seemingly did not want to tell me. :huh:

Since I am still on a v.92 modem, I inform you that most of my photographs shall be in medium resolution. Also, they have been spruced up in Ulead's PhotoImpact 12 program.

Last: All my photographs are under a Creative Commons License 88x31.png.

post-444-1236546759_thumb.jpg

post-444-1236547200_thumb.jpg

post-444-1236547293_thumb.jpg

Here are more test images. I have been purposedly not using flash on these.

I have to re-light them in Ulead. I've tried both its image thumbnail feature, and directly playing with the numbers for brightness, contrast, and gamma.

I also took a bunch of images from a moving Pink Line “L†train. I will more likely post those on Chicago-L's Flickr® album.

I didn't expect to catch a Flxible [#6065] at Cicero & Montrose this evening. I asked our driver if I could take a photograph of his front end. My timing was imprecise to catch the "to 24th St." aspect.

post-444-1236837827_thumb.jpg

post-444-1236837867_thumb.jpg

post-444-1236837908_thumb.jpg

post-444-1236837959_thumb.jpg

post-444-1236838026_thumb.jpg

post-444-1236838086_thumb.jpg

post-444-1236838133_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice photos. Some of the contrast/colors seems to be a bit off - not sure if that's intentional.

They're really pushing Zipcar hard there, aren't they?

You have similar stuff with ALLVOI and some sort of mints (lot of kissing there). May as well sell the ceiling.

I'm still waiting for that route to come online.
Nice photos. Some of the contrast/colors seems to be a bit off - not sure if that's intentional.

They're really pushing Zipcar hard there, aren't they?

The bus signed for route #33 was on a pullout in the afternoon. I surmise it was heading for route #132 Goose Island Express via Pulaski to Armitage.

These photographs always seem to come out dim or dark. I have to play with them in ULead to lighten them. I haven't yet found the precise combination of brightness, contrast, and gamma. Or maybe I need to select a different aperture setting when shooting.

Yes, that Cicero bus is decked out in its interior for Zipcar. I wonder if that is its reaction to the CTA signing the deal with I-Go?

I was on one bus on route #X54 Cicero Express one day. The right side of the bus had a lower exterior dash ad for Boost mobile, and the left side of the bus had the wrap for Cricket mobile. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some of my pics

When I open these, the pic is so large I have to scroll both up and across to see them. Is it just me? Is there any way to reduce these to fit the screen? I see that they are already reduced 96%. I know when I take pics, I have to reduce the pixels on my computer before I e mail them. I usually start with 500 x ??? and that seems to work.

Is it just me?
Yes.

I like the detail. I also like clicking on the + spyglass cursor. BTW, the pictures fit fine on my monitor (19 inch, set at 1280 by 1024).

One suggestion. Maybe this could be converted into a "Tribute to the 6000s" or similar thread, since that seems to be where many of the pictures are heading.

When I open these, the pic is so large I have to scroll both up and across to see them. Is it just me?

Initially when I open them, they are huge, I get a 1/6th of the image. After 5 seconds it resizes to fill the screen. But in all, very good pix. B)

• 2 months later...

Here are another six photographs. Including New Flyer buses from Forest Glen garage on routes #77 Belmont & #78 Montrose.

ae28a144495781.gif b9957a44495783.gif

7a241944495784.gif c4067544495786.gif

9b160f44495788.gif a9833044495791.gif

In the photo of #1233 at Belmont | Kimball, notice it still has its "K" Kedzie garage windshield sticker. Buses #1224 & #1226 have the "F" sticker.

Note the one articulated bus (#4145) running on #22 Clark on a Monday night when there was no b**eball game at Clark & Addison.

I also included an image of the seating layout on bus #2016 on route #54 Cicero from Chicago garage. Compare with #1226's layout.

Here are another six photographs. Including New Flyer buses from Forest Glen garage on routes #77 Belmont & #78 Montrose.

ae28a144495781.gif b9957a44495783.gif

7a241944495784.gif c4067544495786.gif

9b160f44495788.gif a9833044495791.gif

In the photo of #1233 at Belmont | Kimball, notice it still has its "K" Kedzie garage windshield sticker. Buses #1224 & #1226 have the "F" sticker.

Note the one articulated bus (#4145) running on #22 Clark on a Monday night when there was no b**eball game at Clark & Addison.

I also included an image of the seating layout on bus #2016 on route #54 Cicero from Chicago garage. Compare with #1226's layout.

Cool shots. I've been wanting to see an NF on an FG route either personally or in a pic now that FG has managed to get some, though I wasn't sure of what to feel at first to see NFs get pulled from Kedzie. But if it helps to even out those junkpile 6000s......

Having an arctic on the 22 on a day/night with no ballgame is nothing new. I've seen them on occasion on winter nights, at that time NABIs, and we know there's no baseball then.

• 7 years later...

Wow. Is this an old thread? But this is where I should post these images. I was on the south side Thursday, going to Argus Brwy. on south Front Ave, and Whiner Beer near 47th and Ashland.

I'll lead with something you probably thought you'd never see: A bus on the route #111A Pullman Shuttle. O.o 5e66fdc84aa8.jpg
ee8edc6bdcd3.jpg

But to get there, I wound up on the Red Line “L” to 518f42ee8a8f.jpg95th St. Here is how the construction is going.

This is the 1cd88f97358e.jpg route #115 Pullman-115th line (to get me to Argus). To get from Argus to Whiner, I rode the #115 back to 95th St. and transferred to a 28614b542941.jpg Pace route #381 bus to get to Ashland Ave. ([url=
https://chitransit.org/topic/153-the-breakdown-thread/?page=15#comment-94916[/url] View a broken down northbound route #9 Ashland bus in this thread.) Finally, I wanted to have a few more beers at a late-night bar on Western Av. near Belmont Av.; so I rode the route #47 bus to Western and while awaiting it {northbound buses bunched, even at this time of night}, espied e3928f837218.jpg this route #94 South California bus heading for the terminus.

• 8 months later...

So last Wednesday, when we actually had some good weather (unlike this week ¬¬ - it's April; weather should not be getting worse.), I decided to head for the new Marz Community Brwy. @ 3630 S. Iron St. 

I was on the southbound #54 Cicero bus {having the #X54 route would have been nice}. We stopped for a traffic signal at Jackson Blvd., and I espied this rara avis operating on #126 Jackson. esutm3s8.jpg

Just for you ;), here are images of the Marz Brwy. taproom. tswulj7v.jpg qmztgxv6.jpg rj44te9a.jpg

The camera I use now is the Canon SX600 HS. This newer computer does not have Ulead Photoimpact 12, so I haven't lightened or tweaked any of these images.

Edited by pudgym29
enlarge font