blue line subway trackage

trey824

I couldn't access it either. I once read something about a proposed Clinton subway, (around the time that was built in the 1940's) that would run in a loop underground similar to the loop elevated. For many years the loop elevated was viewed as a nuisance and many wished to tear it down. The project never happened leaving us where we are today. Back in the 30's and 40's there were many proposals on future expansion of the "L" some on the NW side included a subway to I believe Foster with a branch similar to the Humboldt park branch going down Belmont to about Oak Park. Back to the blue line tunnel, did you ever wonder how the NB side can have a tunnel that doesn't intersect the SB. That could only be explained by placing one tunnel lower than the other. A question I would have today is what is the lower tunnel? All indications would appear it would be the SB, if you look to the great flood of 1992. Water would travel to the lowest place and I remember the SB sustaining damage having to have the lights replaced down there with yellow ones at the time. Back when ABC 7 reported on the famed break in the ties right at the NB turn there it was reported that was 6 stories underground. If the other tunnel is lower that has to be the lowest point on the system.

Chicago-l.org* has histories of various subway plans, the only ones that seemed to have been implemented in some form include the Blue Line to Jefferson Park and the Orange Line as a substitute for an Archer subway.

IIRC, the stub on Lake Street at Milwaukee was for a subway into which the Lake St. L. would run. Obviously nothing happened with that. Theoretically the split in the State Subway south of Roosevelt was for the Archer subway, but that got used for the Dan Ryan link, and the Orange Line went over the top.

___

*Since people are having trouble with the links, I will forgo them. It is easy enough to go to its home page and then click on "Transit Plans."