Radio imposter

Busjack

There was this one in Chicago Breaking News that someone was breaking into CTA radio channels and faking acting like a dispatcher.

I was wondering how someone could disrupt digital communications, until it said that "Carter was arrested Friday after he and his brother allegedly tried to collect a reward for turning in a stolen CTA radio, and a CTA employee recognized his voice."

Just consider the nerve (or maybe a Jay Leno stupid criminal): when the fun was over, he got caught trying to get a reward by turning in the stolen radio.

Of course, then he wouldn't be a hacker, as the headline implied.

There was this one in Chicago Breaking News that someone was breaking into CTA radio channels and faking acting like a dispatcher.

I was wondering how someone could disrupt digital communications, until it said that "Carter was arrested Friday after he and his brother allegedly tried to collect a reward for turning in a stolen CTA radio, and a CTA employee recognized his voice."

Just consider the nerve (or maybe a Jay Leno stupid criminal): when the fun was over, he got caught trying to get a reward by turning in the stolen radio.

Of course, then he wouldn't be a hacker, as the headline implied.

CTA's radio communications aren't digital. They're analog and could easily be intefered with even without a stolen CTA radio.

The bigger question here is why the stolen radio wasn't locked out of the system when it went missing in the first place. AFAIK, each radio transmits a unique ID number that can be blocked from transmitting on the system should the radio get lost or stolen.

My question is... Why would this idiot do something like this in the first place?. If this person did make the more than 300+ radio calls as the CTA claims, I hope they lock him away for a long time. He jeopardized the safety of a lot of people.

CTA's radio communications aren't digital. They're analog and could easily be intefered with even without a stolen CTA radio.

The bigger question here is why the stolen radio wasn't locked out of the system when it went missing in the first place. AFAIK, each radio transmits a unique ID number that can be blocked from transmitting on the system should the radio get lost or stolen.

The ABC 7 one (I thought I saw similar) that sw noted indicated that he was able to hack using a "commercially available" radio, and that, after a while, CTA was able to block that ID at least for calls going out into the field.

However, it appears that I came to the wrong conclusion that because he reported a stolen radio it actually was one, and hence he didn't hack.

The ABC 7 one (I thought I saw similar) that sw noted indicated that he was able to hack using a "commercially available" radio, and that, after a while, CTA was able to block that ID at least for calls going out into the field.

However, it appears that I came to the wrong conclusion that because he reported a stolen radio it actually was one, and hence he didn't hack.

Aah, it wasn't an actual CTA radio then. That's a little different. If it were an actual CTA walkie-talkie, they would have been able to lock it out before he even tried to make his first transmission.

For a second, I thought it was one of us...

...but prosecutors (according to CBS2) are seeking post-9/11 charges for his actions.

They should prosecute him to the fullest extent. What this kid did was downright stupid! He couldve killed someone from his actions.

They should prosecute him to the fullest extent. What this kid did was downright stupid! He couldve killed someone from his actions.

Oh, I agree with you, no doubt. What seems to be "wholesome" fun, honestly rides on the border of terrorism since so many lives were at risk.

Oh, I agree with you, no doubt. What seems to be "wholesome" fun, honestly rides on the border of terrorism since so many lives were at risk.

It obviously didnt register in his head that he put lives at risk. Whether he was just "playing around" or did it for attention, this kid needs to be made an example of. I couldnt imagine anything worse than having to respond to a train accident because of a prankster or an overzealous railfan looking for kicks.

I listen to the CTA alot on my scanner, and I would just like to say that the CTA is blowing this out of propation by wanting to encrypt there frequences.

How do you explain a kid manipulating the CTA rail system radio giving unauthorized instructions and putting lives in danger "out of proportion"?. This is a security breach, CTA needs to do what is necessary, they dont need any more attention than they already have. Can you imagine if an order this hacker gives over the radio causes a catastrophic incident?

I listen to the CTA alot on my scanner, and I would just like to say that the CTA is blowing this out of propation [sic] by wanting to encrypt there frequences.
It might be for pure listeners, but not when you have someone breaking in, causing the security issue 5750 mentions.

Being a firefighter, I'm sure he knows what the risks are. If I remember correctly, they put at least ids on the 911 center radio when someone was pulling something similar with those.

I suppose we will soon hear about a Homeland Security grant to upgrade the radios.

I'm with 5750 on this one. This is a blatant security issue. What if CTA Control was not able to block out this idiot's instructions to the rail operators. What do you think would have happened then, especially the the incident where this creep attempted to override the instruction to that Blue Line train and have it run through a red signal? Would you or a loved one have wanted to be on that train if God forbid a serious accident was caused? I think not. This was NOT just some simple case of some young punk playing around with his radio and having fun. He coould have potentially put HUNDREDS of people's lives at risk with his irresponsible behavior. I wish we would stop minimalizing stupid actions just because the perpetrator is young. This jerk is 20 years old for goodness sake, quite old enough to know bettter and face the consequences of his actions. And no the CTA is not blowing this out of proportion. This is a matter of public safety, so I say bring on what modifications tha can be reasonably (encrypting radio signals from outside interference falls in this category as far as I'm concerned) put in place to prevent future incidents of this kind. It may prevent you and other responsible enthusiasts from listening to CTA's transmissions for fun, but so be it if it protects the public.

I'm with 5750 on this one. This is a blatant security issue. What if CTA Control was not able to block out this idiot's instructions to the rail operators. What do you think would have happened then, especially the the incident where this creep attempted to override the instruction to that Blue Line train and have it run through a red signal? Would you or a loved one have wanted to be on that train if God forbid a serious accident was caused? I think not. This was NOT just some simple case of some young punk playing around with his radio and having fun. He coould have potentially put HUNDREDS of people's lives at risk with his irresponsible behavior. I wish we would stop minimalizing stupid actions just because the perpetrator is young. This jerk is 20 years old for goodness sake, quite old enough to know bettter and face the consequences of his actions. And no the CTA is not blowing this out of proportion. This is a matter of public safety, so I say bring on what modifications tha can be reasonably (encrypting radio signals from outside interference falls in this category as far as I'm concerned) put in place to prevent future incidents of this kind. It may prevent you and other responsible enthusiasts from listening to CTA's transmissions for fun, but so be it if it protects the public.

Then I would be fine with encrypting, you are right he could have caused a very bad accident by overriding instructions from the controal center. I would wonder just where he got the idea to send unauthrized transmations, and why he baught a raido with CTA frequences?