#6000 memories

BusHunter

I was scanning over the #6000's the other day on chicago-l.org and they stated that the #6655 - 56 at IRM was the only operationable #6000 in existence. Doesn't #6101 - 02 at Fox River operate? BTw, I learned that #6101 - 02 was preserved in 1982, so it had been in heritage condition quite a while. There seem to be many photos of it, none of which with the window gates installed. Also they state that #6125 - 26 (scroll down) at IRM, when it gets restored, would have an Evanston shoppers special livery. Isn't that livery basically a clone of #6101's? I'm shocked to learn that Car #1 (scroll down),(from the #1 -#50 St.Louis car order) still resided at the GM plant in 2002. It's too bad someone couldn't obtain car #1 and restore it to the early 1960's red livery. It would be a show stopper to say the least.

BTw, I learned that #6101 - 02 was preserved in 1982, so it had been in heritage condition quite a while. There seem to be many photos of it, none of which with the window gates installed. I'm shocked to learn that Car #1 (scroll down),(from the #1 -#50 St.Louis car order) still resided at the GM plant in 2002.

Krambles's book has a picture of it restored as a heritage unit (page 80), you are correct. 1 would be at GE, not GM (CERA 115, page 59).

Evanston Shoppers' Special is before my time. The only thing I saw were blank and white pictures, with the sign hung from the chains across the front door.

• 4 weeks later...

Doesn't #6101 - 02 at Fox River operate?

It can't operate over there (at least not on its own) because Fox River has no third rail. And #6101-02 never has had trolley poles which were required to operate with overhead wire. And even if #6101-02 could operate at Fox River, it would have had to be "jumpered" to either 1-50 series car #43 or original 5000-series car #5001 (both of which have had trolley poles since their original manufacture although #43 has had its trolley pole removed in 1973 and reinstalled since its arrival at Fox River)--and that is currently unfeasible because the boarding platforms at Fox River can barely accomodate a two-car train. (This is exactly why 1-50 series car #40 is the only non-trolley-pole-equipped CTA PCC rapid transit car in the Fox River collection which can operate on Fox River trackage when "jumpered" to #43--and #40 originally had trolley poles, which like those on #43 were removed in 1973 when the Evanston line converted from overhead wire to third rail.)

As for #6655-56, it is in operationable condition at IRM because it had been retrofit with trolley poles since its arrival on IRM property (that pair, like most other 6000-series cars, never had trolley poles or pantographs while they were in CTA service). The reason why #6655-56 was chosen to be retrofit with trolley poles is that it was one of several dozen 6000-series pairs (all numbered between the low 6600s and 6720) to have undergone a "mini-overhaul" between 1985 and 1987, when most in that group were still assigned to the West-Northwest (O'Hare-Congress-Douglas) Route (and by that time, the West-Northwest Route mostly relegated its 6000-series fleet to weekday rush-hour operation; at all other times including weekends, the West-Northwest Route was operated almost entirely with 2200- and 2600-series equipment). And like Fox River, IRM lacks a third rail.

In addition to #6655-56 (and its 1-50 series relatives #22, pantograph-equipped #30 and trolley pole-equipped #41), the IRM also has #6125-26 (as previously mentioned) and #6461-62 in their collection. (#22 can--and does--operate at IRM when "jumpered" to #41.) The IRM had also acquired #6059-60 (and 1-50 series cars #5, #7 and #15, which were converted to #61a, #61b and #63a, respectively, while they were still in CTA service), but stripped those units for parts.

• Upvote 2

It can't operate over there (at least not on its own) because Fox River has no third rail. And #6101-02 never has had trolley poles which were required to operate with overhead wire. And even if #6101-02 could operate at Fox River, it would have had to be "jumpered" to either 1-50 series car #43 or original 5000-series car #5001 (both of which have had trolley poles since their original manufacture although #43 has had its trolley pole removed in 1973 and reinstalled since its arrival at Fox River)--and that is currently unfeasible because the boarding platforms at Fox River can barely accomodate a two-car train. (This is exactly why 1-50 series car #40 is the only non-trolley-pole-equipped CTA PCC rapid transit car in the Fox River collection which can operate on Fox River trackage when "jumpered" to #43--and #40 originally had trolley poles, which like those on #43 were removed in 1973 when the Evanston line converted from overhead wire to third rail.)

As for #6655-56, it is in operationable condition at IRM because it had been retrofit with trolley poles since its arrival on IRM property (that pair, like most other 6000-series cars, never had trolley poles or pantographs while they were in CTA service). The reason why #6655-56 was chosen to be retrofit with trolley poles is that it was one of several dozen 6000-series pairs (all numbered between the low 6600s and 6720) to have undergone a "mini-overhaul" between 1985 and 1987, when most in that group were still assigned to the West-Northwest (O'Hare-Congress-Douglas) Route (and by that time, the West-Northwest Route mostly relegated its 6000-series fleet to weekday rush-hour operation; at all other times including weekends, the West-Northwest Route was operated almost entirely with 2200- and 2600-series equipment). And like Fox River, IRM lacks a third rail.

In addition to #6655-56 (and its 1-50 series relatives #22, pantograph-equipped #30 and trolley pole-equipped #41), the IRM also has #6125-26 (as previously mentioned) and #6461-62 in their collection. (#22 can--and does--operate at IRM when "jumpered" to #41.) The IRM had also acquired #6059-60 (and 1-50 series cars #5, #7 and #15, which were converted to #61a, #61b and #63a, respectively, while they were still in CTA service), but stripped those units for parts.

Yeah, I believe I read somewhere #6059-60 (the only other #6000 with the original headlight arrangement intact other than #6101-02) was stripped of those headlights and had them installed on #6125-26 at IRM. Do you know if #6125-26 has trolley poles or what? I know #6127 -#6130 had them. These trolley pole/pantagraph equipped #5-50's make them very attractive to museums. They have to be the most represented retired vehicles in museums today.(With 10 in museums unless you count the #6000's which there are 10 of them also, 11 if you count #6719 at the Smithsonian)So #22 can't operate unless it's jumpered. I wonder what's the difference between the ex Skokie Swift's wire and IRM's. (that IRM can't run pantagraph's) That's a problem for all these high performance family of cars that really leaves them sailing in the wind. They can't be linked electrically to #6000 like equipment, they can't run with a pantagraph. I don't even know if they could be run with a trolley pole. It's really disappointing that these cars at IRM have been vandalized in the past. Between the vandals and the weather these cars are taking a beating. I don't know why they just don't build a barn for them to protect there investment. I've always wondered why there not stored indoors as well as that area where the ex Union Pacific locomotive (the turbine one they got from MSI) is. As far as this "mini overhaul" your talking about above, (1985-87 #6600's and #6700's) That must have been what CTA back then was foreseeing they would still have after the #2600's were all delivered. #3200 the last Budd car was put into service 5/1/1987. So those #6000 cars and the #5-50's were the only cars ever repainted the brown color on the interior.

So #22 can't operate unless it's jumpered because it has a pantagraph on it.

I don't think he said that. He said "pantograph equipped 30." In my recollection, basically 1-4 and 24-30 were "Skokie equipped," unless something else happened when the units were recombined into the 60s or something like that.

I don't think he said that. He said "pantograph equipped 30." In my recollection, basically 1-4 and 24-30 were "Skokie equipped," unless something else happened when the units were recombined into the 60s or something like that.

Yeah your right. The way I understand it is that Cars #30 and #63a-b were the only cars in the end with working Pantagraphs. #41 was the only trolley equipped one left. That one was rebuilt when it was ripped off with two other cars trolley poles by accident. The other two roofs were too damaged to salvage. All other Pantagraphs had been removed when they exited Skokie Service. Now Car #43 was rebuilt by Fox River to have a working trolley Pole. I'm assuming all other cars roofs in existence were either rebuilt by their new owners or are using jumper wires to operate.

Yeah, I believe I read somewhere #6059-60 (the only other #6000 with the original headlight arrangement intact other than #6101-02) was stripped of those headlights and had them installed on #6125-26 at IRM. Do you know if #6125-26 has trolley poles or what? I know #6127 -#6130 had them.

Cars #6123-#6126 also had trolley poles at one point. They were removed sometime during the 1970s.

In addition, 39 and 42 were also converted to "Skokie-equipped" cars sometime in the late 1970s or early 1980s.

Yeah your right. The way I understand it is that Cars #30 and #63a-b were the only cars in the end with working Pantagraphs. #41 was the only trolley equipped one left. That one was rebuilt when it was ripped off with two other cars trolley poles by accident. The other two roofs were too damaged to salvage. All other Pantagraphs had been removed when they exited Skokie Service. Now Car #43 was rebuilt by Fox River to have a working trolley Pole. I'm assuming all other cars roofs in existence were either rebuilt by their new owners or are using jumper wires to operate.

Cars #28 and #45 were also rebuilt with trolley poles at their current home, the East Troy Railroad in East Troy, WI. (#28 was originally sent to Trolley Car '86 in Appleton, WI, the organization which was later merged into the East Troy Railroad a few years later.) East Troy also has #35 in their collection, but it cannot run on its own (it must be jumpered to either #45 or #28). And #28 was one of three 5-50s (together with the aforementioned #41 and the now-scrapped #42) which had their roof equipment ripped off in a 1993 accident on the Dan Ryan leg of today's Red Line (the accident was caused by inadequate overhead clearance on some of the underpasses along the Dan Ryan Expressway).

By the way, the definition of "jumpered" in electric-powered trains does not mean jumper wire. It means coupled to a unit which could operate on its own power provided that the cars are mechanically and electrically compatible with one another. In other words, in the case at IRM, #22 can run only if coupled to #41.

• 4 years later...

As to the reason Former CTA Cars 6655 / 6656 was chosen???....

As to your statement, It's NOT correct!. I don't want to go into the reason, The were at that time many Variables, Condition, Service records, Reliability, etc. I and Only I was the one that chose these cars, And They have not disappointed me. They are a good running pair at IRM. I have plans in the future as to what colors they will go back too, I can say, Before 1986!.

They have been at IRM for 20-years now, They arrived on Wedneday 10 Nov 1996.

They went into service for the CTA on Monday 11 Nov 1957.

I was scanning over the #6000's the other day on chicago-l.org and they stated that the #6655 - 56 at IRM was the only operationable #6000 in existence. Doesn't #6101 - 02 at Fox River operate? BTw, I learned that #6101 - 02 was preserved in 1982, so it had been in heritage condition quite a while. There seem to be many photos of it, none of which with the window gates installed. Also they state that #6125 - 26 (scroll down) at IRM, when it gets restored, would have an Evanston shoppers special livery. Isn't that livery basically a clone of #6101's? I'm shocked to learn that Car #1 (scroll down),(from the #1 -#50 St.Louis car order) still resided at the GM plant in 2002. It's too bad someone couldn't obtain car #1 and restore it to the early 1960's red livery. It would be a show stopper to say the least.

I didn't see #6101-6102 when I went to IRM a few months ago. It must've been in a barn further in the back(probably the one where car #52 was).

Yeah, I believe I read somewhere #6059-60 (the only other #6000 with the original headlight arrangement intact other than #6101-02) was stripped of those headlights and had them installed on #6125-26 at IRM. Do you know if #6125-26 has trolley poles or what? I know #6127 -#6130 had them. These trolley pole/pantagraph equipped #5-50's make them very attractive to museums. They have to be the most represented retired vehicles in museums today.(With 10 in museums unless you count the #6000's which there are 10 of them also, 11 if you count #6719 at the Smithsonian)So #22 can't operate unless it's jumpered. I wonder what's the difference between the ex Skokie Swift's wire and IRM's. (that IRM can't run pantagraph's) That's a problem for all these high performance family of cars that really leaves them sailing in the wind. They can't be linked electrically to #6000 like equipment, they can't run with a pantagraph. I don't even know if they could be run with a trolley pole. It's really disappointing that these cars at IRM have been vandalized in the past. Between the vandals and the weather these cars are taking a beating. I don't know why they just don't build a barn for them to protect there investment. I've always wondered why there not stored indoors as well as that area where the ex Union Pacific locomotive (the turbine one they got from MSI) is. As far as this "mini overhaul" your talking about above, (1985-87 #6600's and #6700's) That must have been what CTA back then was foreseeing they would still have after the #2600's were all delivered. #3200 the last Budd car was put into service 5/1/1987. So those #6000 cars and the #5-50's were the only cars ever repainted the brown color on the interior.

To the "I don't know why they just don't build a barn for them to protect there (sic) investment." statement - Each new barn is a multi-year, several hundred thousand dollar project. You don't wake up one day and say "Hey, let's build a barn today." There is planning, engineering, site prep, track work, building additional yards to put equipment already on the building site, moving that equipment, permitting, waiting for permits, construction, interior work (walkways, etc.), bringing AC and DC to the site, hanging overhead on the leads and inside the barn, county inspections, obtaining occupancy, and finally filling the barn. I'm sure I'm leaving out some stuff too. In addition, from that point on you have to consider building maintenance costs. It all starts with fundraising - bringing in the $300,000-$350,000 it takes to put up a new barn. Past Snowflake Specials and especially all the 2200s fantrips were lamented and even mocked. Well those brought in funding for acquisition, storage and indoor storage costs. Thanks to all those trips, a pair of 2200s have been saved and the 2000s will be going into the next barn, for which the process has already begun.