2600s on Green Line

artthouwill

I just rode on a 6 car 2600 series train on the GREEN LINE. I assume it was a loaner from the Blue Line. It appeared lateley the Green Line was short on equipment.

When entering the Loop, I noticed an Orange Line train on the outer loop tracks on Van Buren then it turned southbound (the train was empty). It was a surprise only because we had just passed an Orange Line train between Roosevelt and Van Buren.

At Clark/Lake, 2 Chicago Police cops boarded the train in the last car. Somewhere near Cicero, they figured out how to open the motorman compartment and close it like the motorman would if he were operating that car. Then everytime we would leave a station, Laramie, Central, Austin, Ridgeland, Oak Park, they would toot the horn.

Which begs this question, when will the "test" Bombardier cars actually get here?

I just rode on a 6 car 2600 series train on the GREEN LINE. I assume it was a loaner from the Blue Line. It appeared lateley the Green Line was short on equipment.

When entering the Loop, I noticed an Orange Line train on the outer loop tracks on Van Buren then it turned southbound (the train was empty). It was a surprise only because we had just passed an Orange Line train between Roosevelt and Van Buren.

At Clark/Lake, 2 Chicago Police cops boarded the train in the last car. Somewhere near Cicero, they figured out how to open the motorman compartment and close it like the motorman would if he were operating that car. Then everytime we would leave a station, Laramie, Central, Austin, Ridgeland, Oak Park, they would toot the horn.

Which begs this question, when will the "test" Bombardier cars actually get here?

I thinking late Nov/early Dec. There supposed to be tested for 9 months after they arrive at CTA. If you figure there being tested just as long at the test track in NY since Feb 2009, that would put you at that timeframe. They should initially arrive at Skokie shops and undergo tests up there for about 2 weeks before they get released from the shop. They should be pretty cool when they do arrive.

the last time i rode 2600 Series on the Green Line was back in '92. Im new to the message board here. Im from NY but a huge fan of CTA

It's been the same set of borrowed cars for over a week. It consists of 3001-3002-3109-3110-3119-3120. One might wonder if it is training equipment for when the new cars arrive and the Green Line is converted to 2600s.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been the same set of borrowed cars for over a week. It consists of 3001-3002-3109-3110-3119-3120. One might wonder if it is training equipment for when the new cars arrive and the Green Line is converted to 2600s.

Not quite. This is because a few 2400s are needed on the Blue Line for work train purposes (e.g. track work in the Dearborn-Congress Subway); in fact, I saw 2417-2418 (two of the cars that are normally assigned to the Green Line) laid up in the DesPlaines Yard (Forest Park) of the Blue Line earlier today. Thus, the six 2600s are on the Green Line to maintain the same number of cars (about 120) in the Green Line-assigned fleet.

Not quite. This is because a few 2400s are needed on the Blue Line for work train purposes (e.g. track work in the Dearborn-Congress Subway); in fact, I saw 2417-2418 (two of the cars that are normally assigned to the Green Line) laid up in the DesPlaines Yard (Forest Park) of the Blue Line earlier today. Thus, the six 2600s are on the Green Line to maintain the same number of cars (about 120) in the Green Line-assigned fleet.

Whenever the new 5000 series come they may put more 2600's on the green line dont you think?

• 2 months later...

#3138-37 was on the Green line yesterday evening.

Once again, that unit is a loaner from the Blue Line. And again, this is because some of the lower-numbered 2400s that normally run in revenue service on the Green Line (in the 2411-2424 group) are once again being used for work motor (mule car) purposes. Thus, a few 2600s are loaned from the Blue Line to the Green Line in order for the latter line to have enough cars available for the peak periods. A couple of years ago, during the Brown Line Capacity Expansion project, the extra cars were loaned from the Brown Line for the same reason.

And because of all that, it is currently unknown whether the Green Line will get re-equipped with 2600-series or 3200-series equipment or a collection of both of those series once the 2200- and 2400-series cars get retired from service and the 5000-series cars get settled into their line assignments.

Once again, that unit is a loaner from the Blue Line. And again, this is because some of the lower-numbered 2400s that normally run in revenue service on the Green Line (in the 2411-2424 group) are once again being used for work motor (mule car) purposes. Thus, a few 2600s are loaned from the Blue Line to the Green Line in order for the latter line to have enough cars available for the peak periods. A couple of years ago, during the Brown Line Capacity Expansion project, the extra cars were loaned from the Brown Line for the same reason.

And because of all that, it is currently unknown whether the Green Line will get re-equipped with 2600-series or 3200-series equipment or a collection of both of those series once the 2200- and 2400-series cars get retired from service and the 5000-series cars get settled into their line assignments.

It seems 3137-3138 may be permanently assigned to Green Line. They've been the only borrowed Blue Line cars for over a month and have had their route maps above the doors changed to display the Green Line route instead of the Blue Line. Usually borrowed cars don't get their maps changed. Plus the Green Line was short two cars anyway because 2537-2538 have once again made their way onto the Purple Line.