What Kind of fan are you?

Nabinut

This is an excerpt from a post from another website that talked about the two different types of bus & rail photographers...

"In effect, there are two styles of bus/railfan related photographers. One is the "no people included what-so-ever concept"; while the second category is "people tend to enhance the picture".

On balance, all-too-many individuals who photograph buses/streetcars/trains and the like are photographers first and transportation enthusiasts secondly. My own experience over the years is this group lacks "people skills", and are chronic bores! The photograph is all that matters. And the pix under no circumstances will include - horrors - a person or persons.

The remaining body of photo takers is somewhat more intelligent, and realizes people and background scenes enhance a "shot". This class has graduated from the roster shot mentality, and overall their concept of photography is far more interesting than that of the "no people, no way" contingent."

Now i'm curious, does anyone here fall into either of these categories?

Since I take only on the street, I get some people, but that wasn't what I was shooting. Also, I cut back on Wikipedia stuff and what I do here is mostly for "proof."

Update: cf. this picture. I'm not sure that this woman in River Forest wanted to be immortalized on Wikipedia, but that was as close as I could get to get the length of the bus.

post-14-12528846505537_thumb.jpg

This is an excerpt from a post from another website that talked about the two different types of bus & rail photographers...

"In effect, there are two styles of bus/railfan related photographers. One is the "no people included what-so-ever concept"; while the second category is "people tend to enhance the picture".

On balance, all-too-many individuals who photograph buses/streetcars/trains and the like are photographers first and transportation enthusiasts secondly. My own experience over the years is this group lacks "people skills", and are chronic bores! The photograph is all that matters. And the pix under no circumstances will include - horrors - a person or persons.

The remaining body of photo takers is somewhat more intelligent, and realizes people and background scenes enhance a "shot". This class has graduated from the roster shot mentality, and overall their concept of photography is far more interesting than that of the "no people, no way" contingent."

Now i'm curious, does anyone here fall into either of these categories?

I personally have no problem w/people being in my shots,because in real life,people add a special element.It looks a little to "staged" if no one is present.Unfortunatly,in todays world I guess I would be a little nervous about having my picture taken also.It is a shame that is has come down to this. :(

I'll wait for someone to walk by before taking a picture, but if there's someone in the background or off to the side I don't care much as long as they aren't blocking the view. If I'm taking a picture of the interior of a bus/train i'll wait until it's empty or only has a couple people so you can actually see what it looks like. On the other hand I also don't wait for people to come into the picture to give it a more "natual" feel.

To answer the question I probably identify more with the second group.

Update: This one has a lot of people in it but it came out fairly well IMO.

• Upvote 1

Taking a picture of a bus/train while a person in the photo, takes away from the object intended as the focal point (the bus) and puts it on the person/people...thus making them the unintentional focal point..and is in my opinion ruining the picture.

What "enhances" the picture or background, is the background. (Like a picture of a bus, on the lakefront, or a sandy beach with the blue sky, etc)

...in my opinion.

NONE of my pictures have picture of people what-so-ever...one may call it a bore...I call it art. lol

Though..random cars passing are exempt. lol

post-430-12530315035722_thumb.jpg

I am striving to get the photograph of the transit vehicle.

Nowadays, some people are not keen on you taking a picture of them. :P

If he | she is a fugitive from justice; it is not my intent to have them located and | or apprehended.

Also, you get the occasional (in the U.S.A.) transit employee suspecting that you're a Fifth Columnist {That should really date me.}.

But again - I want a solid photograph of the vehicle. I don't use flash (the Panasonic DMC-LX3 is a very flexible [I didn't typo "Flxible".] camera insofar as its ISO scale), and I use a post-production software suite to lighten them before you, or anybody, sees them.

That doesn't mean I haven't taken pictures of people at bus stops or in train stations. It is incidental. :)

• 11 years later...
On 9/13/2009 at 10:11 PM, MVTArider said:

I'll wait for someone to walk by before taking a picture, but if there's someone in the background or off to the side I don't care much as long as they aren't blocking the view. If I'm taking a picture of the interior of a bus/train i'll wait until it's empty or only has a couple people so you can actually see what it looks like. On the other hand I also don't wait for people to come into the picture to give it a more "natual" feel.

To answer the question I probably identify more with the second group.

Update: This one has a lot of people in it but it came out fairly well IMO.

That's my take as well