Penalty for a sleeping driver?

ryanbytes

My dad was on Lawrence not too long ago and along the route his drive kept nodding off at lights. They sat for two light cycles at Kedzie before the driver woke up. When my dad got off at his stop he had to get back on the bus to wake the driver up.

That's pretty serious. If your dad knows the vehicle number at least, he should look into reporting the incident. They should be able to trace who the driver was based on the time along with direction and bus number. He put your dad and everyone else on that bus in a dangerous situation by falling asleep at the wheel like that. What if he nods off at more than just lights? That's an accident in the making.

He got on the phone as soon as he came home. I'm watching the bus on bus tracker hoping to see it delayed for a while. I don't think I'll be seeing that though.

Ok good. I'd hate to hear of a fellow member's parent or anyone else for that matter getting hurt because of an operator falling asleep at the wheel.

• Upvote 1

Ouch!!! Now that is dangerous!!! It happens alot on a school buses like I remember like couple years ago- I'm not sure which company the school bus was running for but the bus driver got in accident on W. Garfield (55th) overpass Dan Ryan I-94 from falling asleep under the wheel while in motion.

Ryanbites, I'm happy that your dad and other passengers were safe. I believe the driver already got caught by sleeping if one of the cameras were facing the driver seat. Plus the driver must've been busy texting on his phone instead of going to sleep before work. Or maybe he didn't had time to stop for a coffee on his way to work.

Ouch!!! Now that is dangerous!!! It happens alot on a school buses...

There was a story about a school bus driver on the Edens, who allegedly was driving under the influence of drugs and was charged with 41 counts of child endangerment. A novel use of the law, but apparently a justifiable one.
  • Upvote 1

There was a story about a school bus driver on the Edens, who allegedly was driving under the influence of drugs and was charged with 41 counts of child endangerment. A novel use of the law, but apparently a justifiable one.

WOW!!! How times have changed!!! My Father was a P/T Bus Driver, F/T Bus Mechanic for Ryder/First Student up there in Northbrook!!! Well, so much for the safety awards they used to have!

• Upvote 1

Ouch!!! Now that is dangerous!!! It happens alot on a school buses like I remember like couple years ago- I'm not sure which company the school bus was running for but the bus driver got in accident on W. Garfield (55th) overpass Dan Ryan I-94 from falling asleep under the wheel while in motion.

I had a school bus driver just this summer school year (2008-2009 or 2009-2010, whatever) to fall asleep at the wheel going down Western Avenue at least 30 mph.

Ryanbites, I'm happy that your dad and other passengers were safe. I believe the driver already got caught by sleeping if one of the cameras were facing the driver seat. Plus the driver must've been busy texting on his phone instead of going to sleep before work. Or maybe he didn't had time to stop for a coffee on his way to work.

Or perhaps this operator was already fatigued, for whatever reason, and called management/control to inform them he was too tired to drive...and they refused his request and made him keep going. This has happened before (ie. the Milwaukee incident where a driver unfortunately lost his life, what happened shalt be kept confidential, if you wish to know PM me).

In my three years on the job...I have never come to work without sleep. If it was to the point where I felt sick, I simply didn't work. An extra board person can cover my run. Health and safety come before money.

If a driver is tired, NO one should force him/her to drive for any reason. I think we can all agree we'd rather wait longer for the next bus than be in jeoparody. If this driver has issues, shame on him. If the proper authorities ignored his requests for relief...shame on them!

• Upvote 2

Or perhaps this operator was already fatigued, for whatever reason, and called management/control to inform them he was too tired to drive...and they refused his request and made him keep going. This has happened before (ie. the Milwaukee incident where a driver unfortunately lost his life, what happened shalt be kept confidential, if you wish to know PM me).

In my three years on the job...I have never come to work without sleep. If it was to the point where I felt sick, I simply didn't work. An extra board person can cover my run. Health and safety come before money.

If a driver is tired, NO one should force him/her to drive for any reason. I think we can all agree we'd rather wait longer for the next bus than be in jeoparody. If this driver has issues, shame on him. If the proper authorities ignored his requests for relief...shame on them!

I agree with you totally here. whatever the reason the driver was fatigued, the fact of the matter is he shouldn't have been behind the wheel is he wasn't in the condition to be behind the wheel. I can wholeheartedly say I would rather wait the extra time gap that a missing operator creates in the schedule than be in a hazardous situation because the operator was fatigued or otherwise impaired in some other capacity.