Pace Budget Hearings

New Flyer

The Passenger Notices are up. Notable:

• 301 and 302 get "service improvements" on Saturday, apparently making up for cutting 747 and 304, respectively. 302 was extended to Oakbrook.
  • 696 basically only changes the route between Woodfield and Harper to cover the NWTC and Roselle Road. Neither end of 699 (Elk Grove or Palatine) is preserved.
  • The indication after the second round was the 626 would not be cut, but the last run (each way) was. Since Pace said that ridership would not be affected, the assumption is that the last run had no ridership.

You have to love the euphemisms for supposed alternate service. The best one was on 422/423 "There are many other Pace and CTA routes in the north shore area." Maybe, but not near those routes. Of course, if there were that many riders to be inconvenienced, the routes would not have been cut on weekends.

I think you meant route 301 is going to Oak Brook mall, not 302.

In addition, the listed alternative route between the Park Ridge Metra station and the Cumberland CTA Blue Line station for the elimination of Sunday service on 209, the 241, operates on weekdays only. The correct alternative Pace bus route on Sundays south of the Park Ridge Metra station is 290, not 241.

I think you meant route 301 is going to Oak Brook mall, not 302.

This also means that Saturday service along Roosevelt Road in Maywood, Broadwiew, Hillside and Westchester will be extended until past 9 o'clock. Currently, Saturday service on that route ends at around 6:30 pm.

This also means that Saturday service along Roosevelt Road in Maywood, Broadwiew, Hillside and Westchester will be extended until past 9 o'clock. Currently, Saturday service on that route ends at around 6:30 pm.

Pace will be very busy making changes to their electronic systems to cover all the route changes, most likely next weekend.

Pace will be very busy making changes to their electronic systems to cover all the route changes, most likely next weekend.

Or not.

I suppose they will have to change the programming of the IBSs for runs that actually are modified. However, we discussed the likelihood of fixing WebWatch before. As far as fixing destination signs, that seems a limited task (301 seems the obvious one), but sometimes they get it right, and other times it takes 2 or 3 years for them to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

You know, so much attention has been paid on the CTA and the debacle of 2/7/10 that not much attention has been paid to Pace. 2/7/10 probably won't be as horrible as CTA, but there will still be some changes that will affect some commuters, especially the south suburb Metra feeders which many of them will be gone and weekend service. Plus, I'm wondering with some of these route eliminations, could there still be some layoffs?

You know, so much attention has been paid on the CTA and the debacle of 2/7/10 that not much attention has been paid to Pace. 2/7/10 probably won't be as horrible as CTA, but there will still be some changes that will affect some commuters, especially the south suburb Metra feeders which many of them will be gone and weekend service. Plus, I'm wondering with some of these route eliminations, could there still be some layoffs?

The main distinctions from the CTA are that (1) many of them involve contractor routes, and the contractors, according to the contracts, don't have recourse if the money isn't there or proper notice is given,* and (2) the main remaining issue seems to be the south feeders and weekend service, both of which seem to be de minimis (I assume, for instance, that a south feeder is just something interlined into something else on the run, like an extra trip a 359 has to make).

So, I don't know if there will be any layoffs, attrition, or just extras that will get less time. In that 7 of the 9 divisions have postings for operators, I doubt that there will be many layoffs.** However, I understand why we haven't heard much about it.

If anyone is working in a Pace division, I'm sure they can give us better inside information.

*The biggies seem Academy, which only saved 616 out of the $1.8 million it was threatened to lose, and the school buses in Glen Ellyn.

**What NW lost seems balanced by what is left of 326 and 696 transferred to it from Academy. One also has to wonder how much in permanent employment resources was put into the 747 extension, as West is still advertising for operators.I guess one can understand why there are not postings for S and NS.

Pace had representatives this morning at Rosemont handing out schedules for the new 326, I saw them getting on the 606 wonder if they were at other stations?

That's fairly common with a restructuring.

Going through Woodridge this morning, I saw a Pace maintenance person in a truck taking down all the bus stops along the old route 822. He wasn't putting up new signs for the 821 as of yet, but I'd imagine if he doesn't do it today, they'll do it later in the week. I wonder if they Pace has everybody out today doing it for all the routes being eliminated or adjusted.

Going through Woodridge this morning, I saw a Pace maintenance person in a truck taking down all the bus stops along the old route 822. He wasn't putting up new signs for the 821 as of yet, but I'd imagine if he doesn't do it today, they'll do it later in the week. I wonder if they Pace has everybody out today doing it for all the routes being eliminated or adjusted.

The new Pace #696 bus stop signs are up around NW Trans.Ctr./Schaumburg. Tomorrow, wed. I will be operating my last run on #699. I am the 6am departure from Dundee/Bald.

***UPDATE*** All the 822 signs are taken down along the entire route. Along some portions that were aligned with the 821 and 834, the 822 is covered up with tape leaving 821/834 left. I thought it was interesting the guy only took down the signs and not the pole that's attached to it. Aren't those Pace's poles?

Anyone make last runs today on routes being discontinued like 699 637?

It looks like the cuts are going through, what a pity that more service is cut from the suburbs especially on in the NW suburbs

I know CTA5750 made a final 699 run on Wednesday. Pace will be ok in the long run, they aren't bickering like CTA is right now. I would hope not since they just built a brand new headquarters.

I know CTA5750 made a final 699 run on Wednesday. Pace will be ok in the long run, they aren't bickering like CTA is right now. I would hope not since they just built a brand new headquarters.

Heck, CTA has a new headquarters, too. Supposedly separate federal money for each of them. Undoubtedly, the reasons are that the unions are weaker, and most if the cuts affect contractors, who have no recourse.

I did notice that by Friday, pacebus.com had taken down the entries for the canceled routes, including the associated Passenger Notices; also a couple of routes (696, 821) were renamed there.

Looking at Webwatch this morning, it appears it has been updated with the current routes, although we still can't see route 326 to see what buses are running over there now. Interesting thing is on route 696, they are all 2300s. Wonder why Pace would send old Orions over there to start that route?

Interesting thing is on route 696, they are all 2300s. Wonder why Pace would send old Orions over there to start that route?

Basically because that is what would be spare at NW Garage. Unlike the CTA, I'm sure that Pace didn't run out to Academy late Saturday night to pick up 10 buses freed by taking 326-696-699 from them. Also, I figure that once the pickup occurs, it is to junk any Orions Academy still has, rather than transfer 6600s to NW. NW hasn't had them yet, so no reason to have them now.

The more interesting question is where the 2 2700s from 690 went. Since 326 is still dark, one might guess there.

One can guess that if and when the Stimulus Eldos arrive, these will be among the first 2 routes to get them.

BTW: Pace did what I predicted--took down the dead routes, but did not fix the remaining maps. The 696 one does not show it going to Harper via Roselle Road.

Looking at Webwatch this morning, it appears it has been updated with the current routes, although we still can't see route 326 to see what buses are running over there now. Interesting thing is on route 696, they are all 2300s. Wonder why Pace would send old Orions over there to start that route?

Pace NW will soon figure out they need only ElDorkos on the #696.

Pace NW will soon figure out they need only ElDorkos on the #696.

Well considering 6135 (that's the 6 flags bus) is running that route today along with 2 Orions, maybe NW is waiting to see what kind of ridership will be there before they put Eldos there. Or like I said before, maybe NW sent them away somewhere. Although I don't remember what buses they were, maybe someone can confirm.