New Flyer D40LF #1000 Photos & Assignment Information

Kevin

Here is something to keep in mind too...just when you think you have it figured out, you don't !!!

I remember seeing that North Park was suppose to get Novas when they arrived, but they never did and Forest Glen got just about a whole new garage of them while moving out some of the 6000's they had. They were not orignally suppose to get as many Novas as they did (they got about 100 of them). So. I guess we shall all just have to wait and see, play the game and see who wins the prediction contest !!!! :D:D:D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember seeing that North Park was suppose to get Novas when they arrived, but they never did and Forest Glen got just about a whole new garage of them while moving out some of the 6000's [btw, also all of the 4400s] they had.

The Tribune had reported in early 2002 (when 6709 and up were beginning to be received) that that group was going to NP, K, and 103 (apparently on the basis that that's where the remaining 4000s were). Will V. had previously reported that they were going to FG, and he was correct.

That is why I challenged sw4400's assertion (unless he has an in with Richard Winston). If CTA and Pace have proved anything since 2000, it isn't that you can assume that the new buses are going to where the replaced ones were located.

I'm just going by the facts of where #1000 was put at on trial runs, Busjack.  First Archer, then Chicago, Kedzie, and 77th before returning to New Flyer.  It's so both drivers and customers of these garages get a feel for the new buses coming to them.  I could be wrong, I'm just going by it's assignments.  But, either way we will see some sort of bus switcheroos as the #1000 series gets distributed.

Here is something to keep in mind too...just when you think you have it figured out, you don't !!!

I think we can all agree (after sw4400 was good enough to reply) that trainman8119 is right here. [Where would the Internet be without speculation? And now that we know what equipment CTA and Pace are getting in 2006, what's left to speculate? My only point was not to equate speculation with fact.]

A couple of other things that can be thrown into this mix:

• There seems to be some tendency to start at 77th (4400s, 6000s, and 6400s) maybe because it is next to South Shops. That trend was broken with the 7500s.
  • Something could be assigned to one garage, and quickly moved (I wasn't here at the time, but apparently lower 4400s from 77 to North Park; also buses around 6540 were delivered before some 6400s and started at 77 before going to Archer; 103 originally had scattered 7500s up to 7569, but now only has up to 7549; 7528 has gone back and forth).
  • If many Optimas are received, they are likely to go to Archer, Forest Glen, and North Park to cover light routes (55A, 55N, 62H, 63W, 64, 69, 96, 200, 205, etc.) in addition to 103 for the U of Chicago routes.
  • The test routes might have been to get the greatest customer reaction downtown.
  • No one still seems to know (after 2 years) why the lower 5300s were reassigned from 103 to 77.

no one still seems to know (after 2 years) why the lower 5300s were reassigned from 103 to 77.

My guess is that since the lower 5300's were the first to come in, that they would be the most likely to be the first to go, unless, of course, there are some others in real bad shape. In any event, they can take the parts they need (ie. fareboxes, sinage, etc.) that they will keep and keep that inventory at the south shops. From there they could go through the scrapping/sale process.

I do believe that short of the few 1600 series buses that finished at Kedzie running on downtown routes (ie 157) that many of the 9800 and 9900 series Flyer buses had the same fate, finishing at 77th street..

My guess is that since the lower 5300's were the first to come in, that they would be the most likely to be the first to go, unless, of course, there are some others in real bad shape. In any event, they can take the parts they need (ie. fareboxes, sinage, etc.) that they will keep and keep that inventory at the south shops. From there they could go through the scrapping/sale process.

I do believe that short of the few 1600 series buses that finished at Kedzie running on downtown routes (ie 157) that many of the 9800 and 9900 series Flyer buses had the same fate, finishing at 77th street..

The last Flyers were at Forest Glen.  I seen them a lot on the #152 Addison route in 2001 and 2002(their final year). I miss these buses deeply... :( . They were the very first buses I remember stepping onto when I was just 3 or 4. I remember their colorful green and white color scheme and the sound they made as they accelerated. I hope at least this bus is put into Die-Cast by Corgi, or whoever else might do it.

R.I.P Flyer D901's(1983-2002) Gone, but not forgotten by this passenger.