New Flyer D40LF #1000 Photos & Assignment Information

Kevin

Here is the information I have regarding assignments of this bus:

- The bus operated on the #20 madison route on Monday, Nov. 7th. It left Austin at 2:30p, departed Randolph/Columbus at 3:37p, departed Austin at 4:38p, and ended its run at Pulaski.

- The bus was at CTA headquarters Tuesday, Nov. 8th at 1:30p for about an hour.

- The bus operated out of several garages for about the next week.

- Testing was complete by Tuesday, November 15th. The bus will now be sent back to New Flyer.

November 8th Updates

- A news brief discussing the new bus has been posted.

- 17 photos from today's press conference have been posted.

- 1 video of the bus has been posted as well.

As a treat to forum visitors, here are high resolution (1024x768) versions of the photos posted in the gallery:

Photo 1 - Photo 2 - Photo 3 - Photo 4 - Photo 5 - Photo 6 - Photo 7 - Photo 8 - Photo 9 - Photo 10 - Photo 11 - Photo 12 - Photo 13 - Photo 14 - Photo 15 - Photo 16 - Photo 17 - Photo 18 - Photo 19 - Photo 20

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little disappointed since its not the newer models...perhaps they'll suprise us with the newer models somewhere in the middle of the order (can't hurt to dream).

It looks really nice, and it looks like a real transit bus. Kinda reminds me of the New Flyers in L.A. because they do have the AC panels in the back.

In any case, I'm slightly more disappointed with the choice of logo...oh well.

I just thought to ask - since the 5800s have a rear window (and they are New Flyers) why did CTA decide to go with a rear mounted A/C unit on this order.

Is  this to achieve a commonality with the hybrid buses?

Gene

That was more of New Flyer's decision. With some rare exceptions, they no longer make D40LFs with the old configuration.

I'm a little disappointed since its not the newer models...perhaps they'll suprise us with the newer models somewhere in the middle of the order (can't hurt to dream).

I would love to see the newer models on the road. I know that newe flyer is going to continue to make the older models anyway.

Thanks for sharing the photos(and video) of Bus #1000, Zolk.  I'm starting to appreciate it slowly, but I guess the true way for me to appreciate it is to ride it(which may not happen anytime soon, since I ride buses dispatched from North Park and Forest Glen).:(  Will it be around or are they taking it back to New Flyer Inc. until the other 244 are made?

I saw it at the CTA HQ. I got on and heard the whole presentation. I don't like the plastic seats. The drivers don't either. Too flimsy. The rear doors don't have bars. They have sonic sensors. Touch the door where the bars used to be and you break the beam. Somehow this is supposed to be cheaper than bars. There's a new forward facing camera and cameras with a side view along the right side of the bus to record any accidents. The driver seat also has sensors to record forces the driver is taking. It was said that this is to cut down on false claims by drivers after accidents. The air conditioning is very loud. Like not being able to converse all the way to the front of the bus loud.

I got to ride it back to the Chicago garage. Smooth. I did hit my head as I was sitting down. We hit a bump at just the wrong moment so I left my mark on the bus. :) I definitely could feel the flimsyness of the plastic seats. The have a lot of give making for a better ride but after a while of sudden stops with people holding onto them I don't know if they would last.

This is just what I can remember as I write this. If you have any questions please ask and if I can I'll try to answer. Keep in mind I'm not anything except a rider that got lucky today! Yes the bus had a new bus smell!

Pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanbytes/sets/1326135/

what kind of powertrain are used in cta buses?

The 1000 Series is said to have a Cummins Diesel Engine.  Most of the new buses have this as they are more environmentally friendly.  The DELF's will have a Cummins Diesel/Electric Engine.  How that will look/sound, I do not know.  Here's the breakdown of the other CTA Bus Engines

4400 Series TMC RTS's: Detroit Diesels

5300 Series Flxible Metros: Detroit Diesels(5300-5739)Cummins Diesels(5740-5769)

5800 Series New Flyer DLF's: Detroit Diesels(5800-5861)Cummins Diesels(5862-5864)

6000 Series Flxible Metros: Detroit Diesels(6000-6304)Cummins Diesels(6305-6329)

6400 Series NOVABus LFS: Cummins Diesels

7500 Series NABIBus 60-LFW: Cummins Diesels

Although it is due, and they are beat up and tired, the bad part about saying good bye to the 5300's is that it is really the beginning of the end of Flxible forever in Chicago. This is what many of us grew up with and saying good bye is somewhat a sad thing :(

They won't all be gone, Trainman8119. Remember, we'll still have the 6000 Series Flxibles around for another 5-10 years because of the rehab(which should be completed by the end of 2005). So :) and if you have a camera, take a few pictures of these buses.  When these are gone, then Flxible will be offically gone from Chicago(unless they remake the Flxible Metro in a Low Floor type model, like they did with the RTS)

Actually, the way I understood the news article shown here:

http://www.chicagobus.org/archives/18/

I believe that only a little more than half of the 5300 series buses will be retired and the rest will continue to be operated unless the Legislator comes up with more money.  Any idea on how the CTA will determine which buses of the series to retire?  Also I know that I am in the minority here but I actually like the new logo with the old paint job.  Do you think that as older buses are repaired/repainted they will also recieve this logo design?  I think it sorta has a retro look like the logos the buses had back in the 50's & 60's. :cool: