Farewell Fixibles (5300 Series)

Buslover88

My original farewell to the Flxibles was much more than the 5300 series. Wnen the 6000's are retired sometime down the road, it will mark the end of a era similar to the 6000 series L cars in Chicago. Flxible buses go back into the 50's with the old looks and the propane era followed by the new look diesels and eventually the Metros.

I used to hate the old looks growing up because it was difficult for me to look out the windows because they were smaller and much higher up. Riding on a new look 8500, mostly on Diversey (because I lived a block south and that was the route I rode on probably the most), I was able to see out the windows because they were bigger, longer and lower to the seats. I remember that the old looks and terrible lighting with the old round yellow lights and that riding an 8500 was an improvement, although in later years with the 3000 series, the walls were a little bit lighter, thus the surrounding inside were a bit brighter. I always felt that the 5300 series Flxibles were a bit slow and dragged upon acceleration. The 6000's pick up much better and seem to be a little bit better maintained, although that may be because they were kept inside at many garages while the 5300's were outside (primarily on the north side..ie Forest Glen).

So, more that just a farewell to the just the 5300 Flxible...it is farewell to a long staple in Chicago transit...the Flxible bus...something that Chicago bus fans should compare to the 6000 series L car !!!!!!

Like trainman8119, I remember the New Looks more fondly, especially the 8600s for their parallellogram windows and the 8800s, which seem to have been retired early (see the Propane thread). The only thing memorable about the 870s and Metros is that no matter what city, there was always duct tape over the roof joint with the sign enclosure.

• 7 months later...

When They Were First Delivered The CTA Assigned 5300-5399 To The 103rd Garage And The Rest To Lawndale,Forest Glen,Archer. And Assignments Began To Change In The 2000's The Forest Glen 5300's Were Sent To Kedzie For 6000's Flxibles In 2002 And Some 5300's Went To 77th. And In 2003 The Flxibles Between 5300-5361 From 103rd Got Sent To 77th In Exchange For 1995 Flxibles Between 6074-6097. And Now The Archer Flxibles Are Being Transferred To 103rd And 77th

Farewell Fixibles (5300 Series)  AND GOOD RIDINCE TO STONE-AGE GARBAGE!!!  I hate those things with a passion.  It literally take 3 to 5 seconds for them to start rolling after you've mash the accelerator through the floor board.  They are at their worse in the summer with the A/C on and it's enemic 3 speed transmission.  They're not too much better in the winter either...I froze many a winter morning brokedown on the LSD and the Dan Ryan with those things. And don't get me started on driving them in the rain...I can't stand the streak noise the wipers make.  And I don't know who started the wise tail about it's rock solid handling in rain and snow, but it's just a myth. All buses slide in bad weather.  I wish the moron responsible for buying those buses could be force to spend 8 hours behind the wheel of it while it is raining outside.  I for one won't miss no raggedy-a** 5300 Flex  (and yes I meant to use a double negative in that sentence).

Farewell Fixibles (5300 Series)  AND GOOD RIDINCE TO STONE-AGE GARBAGE!!!  I hate those things with a passion.  It literally take 3 to 5 seconds for them to start rolling after you've mash the accelerator through the floor board.  They are at their worse in the summer with the A/C on and it's enemic 3 speed transmission.  They're not too much better in the winter either...I froze many a winter morning brokedown on the LSD and the Dan Ryan with those things. And don't get me started on driving them in the rain...I can't stand the streak noise the wipers make.  And I don't know who started the wise tail about it's rock solid handling in rain and snow, but it's just a myth. All buses slide in bad weather.  I wish the moron responsible for buying those buses could be force to spend 8 hours behind the wheel of it while it is raining outside.  I for one won't miss no raggedy-a** 5300 Flex  (and yes I meant to use a double negative in that sentence).

I Agree 99% Because I Like The New Flyers Better