Should CTA Consider Purchasing High Floor Buses Again?

geneking7320

Hi All;

One advantage of a low floor bus is that rider in a wheelchair may board or exit quickly. Additionally, you don't have the costs of lift ownership and maintenance. When CTA initially obtained buses with lifts it seemed as though the lifts didn't work well or took a long time to operate. The last time I rode a bus when the lift was used (within the last month) it operated smoothly.

So my question is:

Should CTA consider ordering high floor buses with lifts again or go with low floors exclusively? This question assumes that high floor transit buses will still be manufactured.

Highly unlikely. In fact, they'd probably get sued.

High floor buses are often a problem even though they do have lifts. Elderly people sometimes have a difficult time climbing those stairs. In fact, just last week I saw an elderly man with a cane spend close to 30 seconds trying to make it up from the curve on to a low floor Nova.

Even smaller transit agencies are now purchasing low floor buses exclusively. If CTA, the nation’s second largest transit agency, purchased a high floor bus they’d never hear the end of it.

I think CTA should order New High Buses, seeing how some of the Novas at Chicago didn't work (It Snowed Today), but, CTA might get sued for that.

You lost me... What didn't work with the NOVA's? Did the kneeling function break down, or the entire bus? And where was there snow? I live in Chicago(near North Side) and there was no snow or flurries even here.

Some Buses, while they helping Wheelchair people, the Snow spilled on to the Buses, then the Snow got into the Engine. It Snow just about 1/12 Inches here in Logan Square.

Huh? There was no where near enough snow for it to drift and it would have melted the second it entered a warm environment. Furthermore, the engine is in a SEALED compartment in the BACK of the bus.

We've had NOVABuses since 2001, and we've had bad snowstorms between then and now.  So, this cannot be a weather reason.  I don't believe that the NOVABuses have such a major defect like you claim, Buslover25.  If the buses can survive 8-12 inches of snow, it can survive a inch and a half.  Otherwise, the winner of the Crappiest Bus of the Year Award doesn't go to NABI for the 60-LFW's, it goes to NOVABus for the LFS's.

Highly, highly unlikely....

Whatever then, I'm leaving the Board. Goodbye, I'm upset I'm leaving because there are SOME People here who like Me here. The rest of you are Jerks. Now I said I was a Bus Driver, and maybe I don't know much, but you guys act like I'm stupid. Never believe Me on anything, People have better stay away from this Board, Nice Members, come join my Board. The link is in my profile. Besides, the other Bus Drivers told Me about the Snow. You Guys are putting Me down, especially SW4400, Busjack and Zolk. I hope your Glad when I'm gone. I'm reporting to the FCC. You 3 are in Trouble.