More "Go Lane" Buses

Kevin

It looks like the CTA is continuing to expand the Go Lane pilot program. Go Lane buses relocate the Chicago Card sensor opposite the driver, which theoretically further speeds up boarding by allowing two people to pay their fares at the same time. Archer Garage bus #6617 was spotted with a Go Lane earlier today. This appears to be one of the first buses from Archer Garage to get a Go Lane.

Does anyone here have experience with using a Go Lane? Do you find them helpful in speeding up boarding or are they just cool because you can pass everyone else up?

I've wondered the same thing. There's no display by the sensor, so you really don't have much of a way of knowing if the card read okay. I'm wondering if it's been a common problem where people unknowingly board for free because their card didn't read.

I figured, when I was on the 147 right after my 20th birthday, that it works for the most part...it was on the weekends, so no telling how it can effectively work during the rush hour period.

But a bus coming from Archer does look like the program is going in the right direction.

Apparently now Forest Glen has the go lane on their routes, as plenty of 6700's found at the Jeff showed it. I traveled the 56 bus (which had it), and the 85A (which also had it).

So it is a conclusion to make that the program is a success and that its now a systemwide thing, or do we wait until all the garages have the program?

I've wondered the same thing. There's no display by the sensor, so you really don't have much of a way of knowing if the card read okay. I'm wondering if it's been a common problem where people unknowingly board for free because their card didn't read.

There's a fairly loud beep when the sensor recognizes the card, so I'm guessing there's a different tone to alert the driver when a fare isn't collected.

Apparently now Forest Glen has the go lane on their routes, as plenty of 6700's found at the Jeff showed it. I traveled the 56 bus (which had it), and the 85A (which also had it).

So it is a conclusion to make that the program is a success and that its now a systemwide thing, or do we wait until all the garages have the program?

It's possible. As of yesterday, I'd say about 40% of the Novas out of Archer had Go Lanes, with more likely to be installed soon.

There's a fairly loud beep when the sensor recognizes the card, so I'm guessing there's a different tone to alert the driver when a fare isn't collected.

Ahh but then what? If the Go Lane performs as it should how would the driver know which person didn't pay the fare? I would assume at least a couple smart card users would blow by before the driver can take their eyes off the people that are putting their money and magstripe cards in the farebox.