Street Paving for CTA buses

rotjohns

Hopefully this isn't already in another thread, if it is, I'm sorry in advance. Driving around the south side today, I noticed that at CTA bus stops, there is a large rectangular paving right at the stop for the buses to be at that is totally different than regular street paving. I think I really paid attention when 63rd street got recently repaved by Midway Airport and noticed it. What's the reasoning for those being there?

It's called a "bus pad." Since buses frequently stop/start there, they put a lot of pressure on the pavement right in that spot. Over time, this causes typical blacktop to warp, with potholes and massive bumps. The bus pads are made of concrete, which hold up better to the higher weight. Compare that to some of the stops on Michigan Avenue, which don't have bus pads, and you'll see the difference in pavement quality quite clearly.

• Upvote 3

rmadisonwi's answer matches what I have been told by various bus drivers.

In Gurnee Mills, the designated bus stop is made with the same concrete. Passengers often ask to be discharged instead by the doors near Rinkside, which Gurnee Mills is very much against, as the buses are putting too much pressure on the pavement there.

Pace has had to instruct drivers to NOT stop by Rinkside. Not that this always stops them, but that is the rule.

It's called a "bus pad." Since buses frequently stop/start there, they put a lot of pressure on the pavement right in that spot. Over time, this causes typical blacktop to warp, with potholes and massive bumps. The bus pads are made of concrete, which hold up better to the higher weight. Compare that to some of the stops on Michigan Avenue, which don't have bus pads, and you'll see the difference in pavement quality quite clearly.

I've usually seen them on recently repaved streets like South California Ave, 63rd street, and 79th street between Kedzie and Pulaski also has them now. It's not everywhere, but it's at a lot of places on the south side.

I've usually seen them on recently repaved streets like South California Ave, 63rd street, and 79th street between Kedzie and Pulaski also has them now. It's not everywhere, but it's at a lot of places on the south side.

They used to put those at the main intersections only but now you can find some of the newer ones at the side street bus stops as well.

• 3 months later...

Buses on route #77 Belmont are not making their regular stop at Belmont & Kimball Blue Line "L" station because the concrete pad is being laid down in the eastbound direction, and the pad is so long that westbound buses can't turn into the loop.

It is supposed to be finished by Monday or Tuesday.

Buses on route #77 Belmont are not making their regular stop at Belmont & Kimball Blue Line "L" station because the concrete pad is being laid down in the eastbound direction, and the pad is so long that westbound buses can't turn into the loop.

It is supposed to be finished by Monday or Tuesday.

Sounds like CTA is ramping up efforts to get bus pad on everywhere. That street was pretty bad last time I was over there a couple of weeks ago.

• 1 month later...