New Flyer 5820 - CNG?

RIPTA42

I saw 5820 on the 93 this morning, and at the upper right hand corner of the Cheaper by the Dozen 2 wrap on the rear end was a blue "CNG" diamond. It didn't have a tank on the roof like every C40LF I've seen (though I suppose it could be under the bus), and I'm not aware of any CTA natural gas filling stations (though it could be filled off-site). Is this an experiment, a mistake, or a hallucination?

Probably a mistake, since it would need a roof tank (does not have a space in the roof like an Orion VI), and CTA had said all 5800s had been rebuilt with clean diesel. Was the diamond on the bus or the wrap?

Also, there was a request for proposal to repower the 3 fuel cell buses (5900-5902) as clean diesel; anything ever come of that?

That might explain why 5862,5863,and 5864 had different engines than the other 5800's.  Whatever happened to these buses, I don't really know as 5862 now has the same engine as the other 5800's.  Does 5820 have a Cummins Diesel sound with a small tailpipe in the back like the Flxible 6000's have with a cap on top?

CNG = clean natural gas. Instead of propane/diesel fuel, it uses a different blend of gasoline. I know the elders of the board can explain it better than I can, but CNG is a cleaner alternative than diesel/propane, and is used on many of L.A.'s MTA fleet as well as the recently "shutdown" NYC's MTA system.

• 3 weeks later...

No. The CTA said in 2003:

The Chicago Transit Board approved the nearly $7.3 million contract with Bus & Truck of Chicago, Inc., to provide the labor and material for the mid-life overhaul of up to 65 New Flyer (5800 Series) low floor buses. The overhaul includes a new 2000 model year Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) engine, the addition of a particulate filter and a new transmission.
The CNG logo is only on the wrap, not on the bus. Also the couple I saw (including 5851, mentioned in another connection) sure smelled like diesel.

I didn't think so, given the lack of a roof tank (not to mention why anyone would even think of attempting such a conversion).  It appears to be an oversight on the part of the company who made the wraps.  Still, someone at CTA should cut off or cover over the CNG labels - they could confuse rescue crews and cause needless delays if  one of these buses ever is involved in an accident.

Jim