Pace Photo Policy?

Guest DevalDragon

Guest DevalDragon

I was taking photos of Pace Buses last Wednesday at Naperville, and was approached by no less than 4 drivers telling me it was "prohibited" to take photos of Pace Buses and I needed to call Pace ahead of time before I could take photos. They were unable to tell me what phone number to call, whom to ask for, or why after 32 years of taking photos of buses, I now needed permission.

And, of course, don't ask about the obvious: why is permission needed to take photos from public streets and/or parks?

So, what's with all the new paranoia with Pace of all people? Has anybody else run into this?

On a side note, the driver of this bus was nice enough to give me the finger - twice - then take my photo with his cell phone.

Guest DevalDragon

Helps if I add the file - this old Orion didn't match the others at Naperville; that's why I took the photo.

I was taking photos of Pace Buses last Wednesday at Naperville, and was approached by no less than 4 drivers telling me it was "prohibited" to take photos of Pace Buses and I needed to call Pace ahead of time before I could take photos. They were unable to tell me what phone number to call, whom to ask for, or why after 32 years of taking photos of buses, I now needed permission.

And, of course, don't ask about the obvious: why is permission needed to take photos from public streets and/or parks?

So, what's with all the new paranoia with Pace of all people? Has anybody else run into this?

On a side note, the driver of this bus was nice enough to give me the finger - twice - then take my photo with his cell phone.

post-750-12866751911742_thumb.jpg

1. If it was Naperville, it was NOT Pace drivers, but First Student ones (unless it was on routes 530 or 714--not the 670s-680s).

2. One time when I was taking pictures on a Pace operated route, the supervisor asked what I was doing, but didn't have any problem with it.

3. In Naperville, the few times I took pictures it was from the park across the street from the south of the station. No one could tell me anything there.

Why, didn't you know that Pace is indeed an acronym: Paranoia And Confusion Everywhere!:lol:

I had a North driver threaten to take my camera once when I was out photographing Orions from a public sidewalk.

I called the North garage later that day, and the safety manager offered to let me take pics of buses at the garage, then a month later, took back his offer.

Funny enough, I found when I moved to my apartment I am in now, that that particular driver lives two floors directly below me! I wonder what he would do if he came to my place and saw all my Pace relics...

Most of North, however, is permissive of photography. Some drivers will even accomodate it if the situations permit.

I've Taken Pictures Of Pace Buses And Nobody Said A Word. If a pace driver told me i needed permission to take pictures, i would've said "you have no right to tell me what i can or can't do!"

and you may need this to teach them a lesson:

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

and if they give you the finger, give them two fingers in response

• Upvote 1

Personally I would not go that route. However, I would appease the driver, then go call in a complaint to Arlington Heights, and inform them that one of their 'professional and courteous drivers', has made an obscene gesture to you, twice, and that you have photographic evidence of such. Be sure you have badge, bus, route, and run numbers, as well as the time of day.

Pace has no policy on their site, from what I can find.

BTW, Busjack, I think the North Safety Manager has you and I confused! When I spoke to him about the incident I had, he thought he had met me at Buffalo Grove photographing buses. By some chance, would that be where you met the guy you mentioned?

Last Year I was at Homewood railfanning, and I got a few Pace bus photos, and one of the bus drivers stopped the bus, and kept looking at me, and opened the door, and called the cops on me, saying THAT IT WAS illegal, but I was on the sidewalk, and I told her that it was legal, and she said ok well see, but drove off after she called me in. Homewood Police did not do anything, but I wanted to tell the bus driver to go @#$% herself, but i refrained from doing it, and it gotten me pissed off.

Oh this is the photo that gotten me a date with Homewood Cops.

This_Driver_called_the_Cops_on_by_Jttjr.

In Gary I was getting photos of the buses out there also, and one of the bus driver told me that I was crazy, and something was wrong with me, before driving off, because there was nothing he could do.

Interesting 2317 was downtown that day. Still some Orions out there.

I've been in Naperville a few times watching buses and haven't had a problem, but as Busjack said, go to the park and take the pics. Just zoom in if using a regular camera. Drivers can say nothing. Matter of fact, I've taken pics from my car. Just park along the curb and take the pics there. But if you go to the platform, you're asking for problems you don't want.

What's the problem? That's what I don't understand...

It's all about the drivers, plain and simple. Even though they are not Pace drivers, they can act a fool just like Pace drivers. That's why I never take chances. Now if you were to go to Lisle, you could get great pics of buses because you can just stay in the parking lot.

... Even though they are not Pace drivers, they can act a fool just like Pace drivers. That's why I never take chances. ...

No need to slam division employees without evidence, when, as I pointed out up the thread, those implicated are First Student employees.

I was also going to add the possible presence of Metra police on the platform, but there doesn't seem any need to do so.

Now I am confused. Doesn't railwaymodeler work out of North division? They won't let him take pictures of his own divisions buses? That to me just doesn't make sense!

He should speak for himself, but while I thought so too, his latest posts imply the contrary.

• 2 weeks later...

I will answer, as I have nothing to hide around here. It is, however, a somewhat complicated answer...

Officially, no, I am not a Pace employee. That is the (very) short answer. I am a PC technician by trade.

However, I am good friends with most drivers around here. One of them gave me a uniform tie, another a uniform hat (I like my usual fedora better though with my suit), and the guy who is manager here at North now, gave me some old North Shore driver patches, with a retired number that is said to be unofficially 'assigned' to me.

I do a LOT of joyriding on the buses with drivers that I am good friends with, standing (On the NABIs, between the wheelwells, right behind the white line.

Over time, most drivers found, I could be handy with fare disputes or disruptive passengers. They just point to me and say I am the supervisor. End of the problem in nearly every case.

All in good fun, and no harm ever meant any any case.

I have helped out with some Union matters, as a witness to some events that put drivers out of service, and helped get them reinstated at Pace North.

Earlier today, while riding around, I was able to help a passenger figure the best way to her destination, something the driver could not be bothered to do.

Also, one of the drivers is attending tech school part time, and works for me as an apprentice at my computer shop. Another driver, his wife is doing the same thing.

Why, didn't you know that Pace is indeed an acronym: Paranoia And Confusion Everywhere!:lol:

I had a North driver threaten to take my camera once when I was out photographing Orions from a public sidewalk.

I called the North garage later that day, and the safety manager offered to let me take pics of buses at the garage, then a month later, took back his offer.

Funny enough, I found when I moved to my apartment I am in now, that that particular driver lives two floors directly below me! I wonder what he would do if he came to my place and saw all my Pace relics...

Most of North, however, is permissive of photography. Some drivers will even accomodate it if the situations permit.

If any bus driver or person who is not law enforcement, threatened to take my camera away, I would tell them to "Bring it on!" If they laid one hand on me I will take them down!!

• 10 months later...

OK, I think I have some kind of news on the photo policy:

A particular female driver at North Divsion, about six years ago, tried to con me into giving her free laptops. At the time I was working in IT at the Waukegan Police, and, on the side, trying to get my own computer business going. I was growing weary of the City's nonsense and wanted out. Anyway, it came to light that while she was flirting with me and offering to take me on dates (Which, thankfuly never happened), she was, in reality, married and wanting free computers from me.

Now, this particular driver had a problem of constantly running late due to poor driving while talking on her cell phone.

Well, anyway, one day I was getting ready to deboard, with a customer computer under my arm. Instead of bringing the bus to a gentle halt, she was on her cell phone, and slammed the bus to a halt. Was a miracle the computer, and I, were OK. Even more of a miracle the DriveCam didn't trip!

Well, I called Corporate and reported the incident. Nothing happened to her.

After witnessing her, over the course of a few years, endanger passengers with her bad driving when on the phone, I decided to get photographic evidence for Pace.

Bear in mind, that at this time too, she had become increasingly obnoxious to me, refusing to kneel the bus for me (I have back and knee problems), refusing to stop and let me on board, and refusing to discharge me where I wanted, sometimes taking me up to a quarter mile further up the road! Around this time I filed complaints with the State.

Well, I snapped a few pics of her coming into the Washington/Sheridan Pulse Point, while talking on the phone. Bear in mind I was on a public sidewalk, and at the time, there was no actual signs denoting a bus stop. Basically I was within my rights.

She got off her bus, went up to me and called me every foul word you could think of. I walked away laughing.

Well, what I found out today, is that she filed a police report on me for photographing the bus. This was a year or so ago, and the basically did nothing with it at the police department. She said in the report she was instructed by her "supervisor" to do so.

There is more to this, that doesn't tie in with this thread to well, such as her making two obviously bogus calls to the police, and the chief of police intervening. May start a new thread about it if anyone is interested.

By the way, I am fully aware that North management reads this forum. The general manager has told me he does. I am fully aare of my 1st Amendment rights, and as all the forebearing is true and accurate, I am protected by said amendment.

OK, I think I have some kind of news on the photo policy:

By the way, I am fully aware that North management reads this forum. The general manager has told me he does. I am fully aare of my 1st Amendment rights, and as all the forebearing is true and accurate, I am protected by said amendment.

Of course, the last is true. However, since others also must have reported her, and Pace North has all the press releases about Drive Cam, and they have a safety supervisor, what doesn't make sense is why she is still on the street.

I suggested to someone else some time back that if they had the evidence, to take it to someone like Pam Zeckman or Dane Placko. However, Kevin then posted that that report was fake.