#80 Iriving Park...

Chicago13

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere or if it was, I can't find it.

In the morning I see several westbound Irving Park runs that end at Cicero. The run numbers appear to be runs from other routes. I've seen run F207, F307, and F7xx signed to Cicero. Seems like an odd place to end their runs instead of at the Blue Line. Are these pull ins from there?

The schedule has about 1 out of 3 buses wb ending at Cicero from about 8 a.m. to 9 a.m., and about the same proportion of eb buses starting there from 1:52 p.m. to 3:11 p.m., with a corresponding frequency change. So, this is undoubtedly correct.

Note also that there is a similar number starting or leaving from Harlem. On weekends those seem to be short turns, as the eb and wb seem to match.

Another curious thing is that there must be some scheduled bus bunching, as some of the buses ending at Cicero get to Cicero before or at the same time as the bus that started at Lake Shore Drive 5 minutes earlier.

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere or if it was, I can't find it.

In the morning I see several westbound Irving Park runs that end at Cicero. The run numbers appear to be runs from other routes. I've seen run F207, F307, and F7xx signed to Cicero. Seems like an odd place to end their runs instead of at the Blue Line. Are these pull ins from there?

I've seen similar runs on the #152. The Bus Sign says (152 ADDISON) flip (152 TO KEDZIE). And no, these are NOVA's and New Flyer D40LF's, not the New Flyer DE60LF's used on Lane Tech School Trips or Cubs Games. These are usually seen in the early a.m (6:30a-8:30a)

I've seen similar runs on the #152. The Bus Sign says (152 ADDISON) flip (152 TO KEDZIE). And no, these are NOVA's and New Flyer D40LF's, not the New Flyer DE60LF's used on Lane Tech School Trips or Cubs Games. These are usually seen in the early a.m (6:30a-8:30a)

The schedule reflects some early morning ones starting at Kedzie, but unlike the Irving Park example, apparently the above is not significant enough to be reflected in the timetable.

I do note that a lot of the afternoon runs end at Lake Shore-Addison instead of Lake Shore-Waveland (actually the traffic triangle at N. Sheridan and W. Sheridan), and the return interval is 10 minutes. Is this an indication that they are being interlined with something else?

I do note that a lot of the afternoon runs end at Lake Shore-Addison instead of Lake Shore-Waveland (actually the traffic triangle at N. Sheridan and W. Sheridan), and the return interval is 10 minutes. Is this an indication that they are being interlined with something else?

Those runs you mentioned are the North Park runs for school service on the 152 that deadhead downtown to run service elsewhere...most usually the 147. The operate out of service from Addison/Lake Shore to Belmont and hit the outer drive. It is must more sensible to just end the run there rather than having a bus continue to Waveland, hit the northbound drive at Irving Park (as the southbound entrance at Irving Park would be impossible for a bus to turn on), get off at Montrose and get back on southbound. I'm sure they'd rather not waste money on the unnecessary deadhead time to do that.

• Upvote 1

It is not unusual to see eastbound 152s signed TO KEDZIE during baseball return service. Many times supervision will instruct North Park extras to return in service from Cumberland eastbound to Kedzie and then north on Kedzie to return to North Park Garage.

It is must more sensible to just end the run there rather than having a bus continue to Waveland, hit the northbound drive at Irving Park (as the southbound entrance at Irving Park would be impossible for a bus to turn on), get off at Montrose and get back on southbound. I'm sure they'd rather not waste money on the unnecessary deadhead time to do that.

Or try to get an articulated bus around the aforementioned triangle. Much easier to just put the notation on the timetable.

BTW, I wondered how 84 could go east of Sheridan, especially since the first exit sb on LSD is at Lawrence, but I tailed one, when went around a similar triangle at the LSD on ramp.

The Addison runs might be North Park buses that turn north on Kedize to go back to the garage and/or FG runs that turn north on Elston to go back to FG.

As for Irving, Cicero seems like an odd place to end a run, but now that I think of it, it's logical if they're turning north on Cicero to Elston to FG.

Not when the buses are numbered 67XX(6709+)68XX, 11XX, 12XX. Those number blocks are out of Forest Glen.

I was told at the beginning of this pick, they were going to terminate a few early morning runs on the #152 at Pulaski and have those pull in or change routes. (Those are FG buses I'm speaking of.) They seem to be limiting the service on the west end, probably because the east end has all the demand. This could be said with the #80 too. The #80 used to run all buses to Cumberland in the rush periods. Now in the rush periods every other bus turns around at Harlem. The #77 seems to be using the Octavia terminal more too. They even list it on the schedules now.

Now what about Artics on #152 @ 12:30p today??? I was waiting for the #152 EB at Elston, and while the first bus coming was #1232 I think, the bus after it was #4117. If Lane Tech didn't let out early and the Cubs are obviously out of town right now, what was the point of a Artic on #152 before it was even needed???

The #80 used to run all buses to Cumberland in the rush periods. Now in the rush periods every other bus turns around at Harlem.

I've never seen a #80 going to Harlem since the dismissal of the X80 service. I like to use the #80 to go to the H.I.P because it used to terminate at Harlem, but all the buses I see terminate at Cumberland. The #78 terminates at Harlem.

I've never seen a #80 going to Harlem since the dismissal of the X80 service. I like to use the #80 to go to the H.I.P because it used to terminate at Harlem, but all the buses I see terminate at Cumberland. The #78 terminates at Harlem.

If you look at the #80 schedule you will see what i mean. Although alot of 6:00 PM ones are pull ins. They seem to have changed that since the cuts as well. Those were pulling in from Cumberland before. Also they are having afternoon pullouts from Cicero EB too. So they are not just using Cicero in the morning.

Now what about Artics on #152 @ 12:30p today??? I was waiting for the #152 EB at Elston, and while the first bus coming was #1232 I think, the bus after it was #4117. If Lane Tech didn't let out early and the Cubs are obviously out of town right now, what was the point of a Artic on #152 before it was even needed???

Saw that bus myself and wondered the same thing. Most likely one of the schools were letting out early or it may have been a training bus. Usually they'll train in the mid day. Saw something on the #152 that was stranger than that. On 4/1 I spotted a Kedzie bus #4043 complete with Kedzie operator doing a Cubs ballgame run. This is the first time I've ever seen a Kedzie bus on the #152. It pulled in from the west end with a Kedzie/Jackson sign. Did he have a long pull in or what!!

Saw that bus myself and wondered the same thing. Most likely one of the schools were letting out early or it may have been a training bus. Usually they'll train in the mid day. Saw something on the #152 that was stranger than that. On 4/1 I spotted a Kedzie bus #4043 complete with Kedzie operator doing a Cubs ballgame run. This is the first time I've ever seen a Kedzie bus on the #152. It pulled in from the west end with a Kedzie/Jackson sign. Did he have a long pull in or what!!

Long pullins, how bout this for a long pullin. When I was a part time operator at Kedzie in the late 90s, we would work #37 Sedgewick/Ogden. Occasionally some of our runs would pullin from Fullerton/Sheffield to Kedzie Garage. When I worked #54A N. Cicero/Skokie out of FG, some runs would pullin from Cook Cty. Courthouse. Those were some long pullins.

Those were some long pullins.

How about 26 from downtown to 103rd? That has to be a long pullin or pullout, and it appears that not all of them are interlined with14.

Pretty much the same can be said for any bus leaving North Park with a Downtown sign from Foster-Sheridan, or back via the Kennedy Expressway.

Compared to that, north end of Fullerton L to Kedzie is nothing; in fact less than the 145s from Marine-Irving Park (finally we are back to the topic, but the current schedule indicates that that is no longer happening).

The #77 seems to be using the Octavia terminal more too. They even list it on the schedules now.

Octavia has essentially always been a time point on the drivers run paddle...but was never really even indicated in the public schedule. I've seen very few scheduled turns there lately compared to about ten years ago..but it's been a while. I recall a lot of runs to Cumberland getting switched there on Sundays during the summer, as Belmont becomes a zoo.

While I will not disclose whom, but it was at one time hinted to me the desire to possibly make Octavia the night owl terminal rather than Central. Considering that this end of town has really no options at that time of night, it could possibly be of use...in addition to restoring the 85 owl service.

This however...requires funding that the CTA currently does not have.

• 2 weeks later...

Octavia has essentially always been a time point on the drivers run paddle...but was never really even indicated in the public schedule. I've seen very few scheduled turns there lately compared to about ten years ago..but it's been a while. I recall a lot of runs to Cumberland getting switched there on Sundays during the summer, as Belmont becomes a zoo.

While I will not disclose whom, but it was at one time hinted to me the desire to possibly make Octavia the night owl terminal rather than Central. Considering that this end of town has really no options at that time of night, it could possibly be of use...in addition to restoring the 85 owl service.

The area "really has no options at that time of night"; but there are only four runs {five on Sunday} that operate between Halsted and Central. [They're run numbers F749 & F750.]

The last eastbound bus leaves Cumberland @ 1:49 am {a 2:15 am arrival must deadhead back to Forest Glen}. The first one the next day is 4:00 am or 4:16 am. However, I must point out that the last westbound bus running through to Cumberland is usually a crush load after the Sheffield Red Line "L" stop.:blink:

When I return from Exit Chicago on Thursday night | Friday morning; if due to Blue Line "L" trackwork, I miss the westbound bus at 4:17 am (which runs to Cumberland), I've caught the pull-out bus beginning there at 4:34 am. [it is run F001, so it must go to #85 Central at some time.]

The area "really has no options at that time of night"; but there are only four runs {five on Sunday} that operate between Halsted and Central. [They're run numbers F749 & F750.]

The last eastbound bus leaves Cumberland @ 1:49 am {a 2:15 am arrival must deadhead back to Forest Glen}. The first one the next day is 4:00 am or 4:16 am. However, I must point out that the last westbound bus running through to Cumberland is usually a crush load after the Sheffield Red Line "L" stop.:blink:

When I return from Exit Chicago on Thursday night | Friday morning; if due to Blue Line "L" trackwork, I miss the westbound bus at 4:17 am (which runs to Cumberland), I've caught the pull-out bus beginning there at 4:34 am. [it is run F001, so it must go to #85 Central at some time.]

Then perhaps such an extension in night owl service would be a good thing. I don't quite grasp how Octavia would work though, considering it is right next to an apartment building (I'm sure there would be lip about bus idling at 2-3 AM), plus serving Cumberland would only be another 4-5 minutes on the running time. It would essentially go from a 2 to 3 bus operation during the night owl period.

Either way it would be a good thing. I'd rather see the service put to good use where it is needed rather than running an empty bus through Evanston all night where hardly anyone uses it (N201).

Either way it would be a good thing. I'd rather see the service put to good use where it is needed rather than running an empty bus through Evanston all night where hardly anyone uses it (N201).

The question about the west end of 80 is if it was actually used. There has to be more than anecdotal evidence that on occasion someone left a bar.

Of course, the justification for N201 is that they shut down the Evanston shuttle at night, and the real one probably is that they have to serve Evanston Hospital. However, from what other people have posted here, they could do it with a community vehicle--i.e. a minivan.

Of course, CTA has never heard of the concept of COMMUNITY TRANSIT. Maybe the rational thing would be to abandon it, and let Pace come up with a solution, which might be vanpool. Rahm talked regional cooperation--maybe here is a chance for it.

Won't happen.

Of course, the justification for N201 is that they shut down the Evanston shuttle at night, and the real one probably is that they have to serve Evanston Hospital. However, from what other people have posted here, they could do it with a community vehicle--i.e. a minivan.

So if this is so, why is there no N88 to serve Resurrection Hospital or an N97 serving Skokie (former Rush NorthShore) Hospital?

So if this is so, why is there no N88 to serve Resurrection Hospital or an N97 serving Skokie (former Rush NorthShore) Hospital?

Because the L didn't serve either. Note what I said was the official justification.

That would be a real smart move to use the Octavia terminal for an owl terminal. I remember when they used to run those through to Cumberland around 3:30 AM, there would always be around 3-8 riders getting off at Harlem. I guess White Castle was a major draw because you would always see people heading over there. It would be pretty dead west of there though. They've been messing around with the early morning schedule these last two picks. Before they used to have a run that arrived at Cumberland WB at 4:00 AM that would start at Kimball/blue line. I believe the second run that hit Cumberland also originated at Kimball. This pick the first run was eliminated WB and pulls out from Cumberland EB and the second runs through from Halsted WB. BTW, I always wondered why they wasted the twelve blocks it takes to turn a #77 to Central owl bus around. If they ran it straight through they would just come up 8 blocks short of Harlem.

I believe the second run that hit Cumberland also originated at Kimball. This pick the first run was eliminated WB and pulls out from Cumberland EB and the second runs through from Halsted WB. BTW, I always wondered why they wasted the twelve blocks it takes to turn a #77 to Central owl bus around. If they ran it straight through they would just come up 8 blocks short of Harlem.

Actually, that was run F750, one of the night owls. That run operates thru from Halsted. It's previous 'N' trip originated at Central before reverting to "regular" 77 service all the way west. In fact when I did the run, it went just as so; "Pullout of FG to Cumberland, east to Lake Shore, west to Cumberland, LUNCH, Halsted, Central, Halsted, Cumberland, Halsted, Cumberland, Central, pullin to FG.

I've always wondered the point of the Laramie-Diversey-Central loop also. I always thought it would of made more sense to have the bus continue to the next stop west at Major, right on Major to Parkside, right on Parkside to Central back over to Belmont. All wide streets. But I'm sure they're probably was some already known neighborhood opposition to having a bus looping down side streets at the dead of night.