New Yellow Line Evanston Station

westing

Evanston is currently holding a study to see the feasibility for building a station on the Yellow line. This article details how the station platform arrangements might look. It's interesting how any one of the proposed stations would be rebuilding what once was, obviously up to modern standars.

I think Dodge would make most sense being furthest away from Howard and possibly the cheapest seeing the space from the former platform still exists.

• Upvote 1

Evanston is currently holding a study to see the feasibility for building a station on the Yellow line. This article details how the station platform arrangements might look. It's interesting how any one of the proposed stations would be rebuilding what once was, obviously up to modern standars.

I think Dodge would make most sense being furthest away from Howard and possibly the cheapest seeing the space from the former platform still exists.

The Skokie (no longer) Swift

I think GK would turn over in his grave if he was aware what is happening to the Swift. It was his pet project.

With all thats happened with the CTA lately, he has turned over in his grave several times over!

Let's remember one thing--as westing mentioned and the article certainly states:

The $275,000 study, funded 80 percent through a Congestions Mitigation and Air Quality grant administered by the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning, has consisted mainly of data collection to this point...

and, of course, the meeting is a block from one of the proposed stations. Like most other things these days, there is money for studies, but not actually doing anything.

As far as it only going to Dempster, most sources, including chicago-l.org (again, you will probably have to copy the url and paste it into your url box in the browser) indicate that it was essentially an FHA grant demonstration project, and CTA got the money to buy the right of way from Howard to Dempster. I suppose that another connection was that CRT ended at Dempster, when it shared the track with the North Shore.

chicago-l.org also has an article about how the CTA looked into taking over the whole North Shore Line, and basically concluded that it was not feasible. Note that they then realized that it could not compete with the C&NW (now Metra UPN) and Milwaukee Road (now Metra Milw. N).

Let's remember one thing--as westing mentioned and the article certainly states:

and, of course, the meeting is a block from one of the proposed stations. Like most other things these days, there is money for studies, but not actually doing anything.

As far as it only going to Dempster, most sources, including chicago-l.org (again, you will probably have to copy the url and paste it into your url box in the browser) indicate that it was essentially an FHA grant demonstration project, and CTA got the money to buy the right of way from Howard to Dempster. I suppose that another connection was that CRT ended at Dempster, when it shared the track with the North Shore.

chicago-l.org also has an article about how the CTA looked into taking over the whole North Shore Line, and basically concluded that it was not feasible. Note that they then realized that it could not compete with the C&NW (now Metra UPN) and Milwaukee Road (now Metra Milw. N).

Its a shame that money is being wasted for the study.Instead of adding more service.

Its a shame that money is being wasted for the study.Instead of adding more service.

There shouldn't be any new service right now period. All 3 service boards are crying that they don't have

money, have to make cuts, can't employ people, can't afford benefits, yada yada yada.

I think it would be more feasible to strengthen and stabilize any service currently in operation before worrying about any extension. All this type of money is spent on studies and wishes, but nobody, but nobody ever considers that it costs money to operate. Operate means infrastructure, it means equipment, it means employment, it means maintenace. Right now everyone is out to REDUCE these things. Until these reductions or talk of such are eliminated, then and only then should there be any kind of talk about expansion.

As far as I am concerned, it is all waste. A waste of money, a waste of resources that could be better used elsewhere, a waste of energy. Of course, there is always the possibility that there is not a real crisis, but we know what that would mean......

That would be sort of crazy to build three stops in Evanston that close together. They really should just focus on Dodge or take an accessment of which of the 3 stops they'd want. Personally I don't see more than one station anyway.

There shouldn't be any new service right now period. All 3 service boards are crying that they don't have

money, have to make cuts, can't employ people, can't afford benefits, yada yada yada.

I think it would be more feasible to strengthen and stabilize any service currently in operation before worrying about any extension. All this type of money is spent on studies and wishes, but nobody, but nobody ever considers that it costs money to operate. Operate means infrastructure, it means equipment, it means employment, it means maintenace. Right now everyone is out to REDUCE these things. Until these reductions or talk of such are eliminated, then and only then should there be any kind of talk about expansion.

I'm not sure what relevance this has to the Yellow Line, since they wouldn't be adding any more service. The only issue would be a little less layover time, and a little slower service. I don't hear anyone complaining about Skokie building the Oakton station, which isn't much different in concept.

However, as you can tell from my prior post, I agree with your and mkohut on the just enriching consultants point (as I put it).

• 2 weeks later...