Just an Observation

twyztdmynd

I read somewhere in this forum that Pace is ordering Hybrid busses and a first choice to receive is Highland Park. (Opinion) Looks like it may happen. The 472 has been rerouted around Bloom Street. This in a very low clearance bridge. It now takes a long sideroute to go around. A CNG or a vehicle with equiptment on the roof may have trouble clearing Bloom.... Preparation ? Opinions ?

I read somewhere in this forum that Pace is ordering Hybrid busses and a first choice to receive is Highland Park. (Opinion) Looks like it may happen. The 472 has been rerouted around Bloom Street. This in a very low clearance bridge. It now takes a long sideroute to go around. A CNG or a vehicle with equiptment on the roof may have trouble clearing Bloom.... Preparation ? Opinions ?

Might be connected, might not.

The two hybrid buses were ordered from Daimler in about Sept. 2010. Mentioned on the Pace Green page. One of their newsletters had the usual "by the end of the year," and it usually takes about a year (technically 6 months from the Notice to Proceed).

In the meantime, the May minutes indicate that Pace is still working on the Highland Park restructuring, described here. Part of that was simplifying 472. At the same time, they eliminated the Parkside trips. However, while the Passenger Notice button is no longer on the site, they have not posted a new schedule, but one can get the Notice using Google.

I am aware of the notice. But I consider it strange it eliminated Bloom in that it takes a long way around Highwood just to avoid the underpass.

To put more speculation on the fire:

• Bloom was just an alternate route (one outbound, 3 inbound). The Bloom route also sort of misses downtown Highwood.
  • So far they still have to get under the underpass at Laurel.
  • There are already AC units on the tops of the Eldos; so we'll have to see where Orion puts its AC and battery pack. The picture on their home page indicates that they can get both on the top of a 40 foot bus, but a 30 foot one?

• 2 months later...

New notices are up for the Highland Park restructuring.

http://www.pacebus.c...?Notice_ID=2843

Thanks.

No map yet, but the only change in the description from the hearing appears to be that 471 would go past Northbrook Court to Crossroads.

That will mean 1-2 El Dorados free to go elsewhere unless they are kept for spares.

Killing only 473 would yield only one bus.

Update: That assumes run time improvements on what's left of 471 and 472, since only the Skokie Valley Hwy-Ridge portion of existing 473 is to be eliminated.

No map yet, but the only change in the description from the hearing appears to be that 471 would go past Northbrook Court to Crossroads.

Maps and schedules now up, see links on 471 and 472 notices.

As I said, as represented at the hearing, except that Crossroads trips are added, but only during rush hour.

The rush hour trip times on 471 from Downtown are also altered.

On 472, since most of the start times at Target are the former ones at downtown, most of the downtown times change. The sync with Metra at HP (:25 northbound :35 southbound Metra) does not look good.

• 3 weeks later...

Well now a notice is up that routes 628 and 629 will be operated by Highland Park. So those Eldos aren't going anywhere now.

That appears to be the case, but the really strange thing is that Pace would give up division work, so that, I guess, Highland Park wouldn't have to lay off a couple of its drivers. I also assume (since that was what some posters on the Yahoo forum said was the rationale for Pace not taking over operation of the HP routes), that its drivers are more expensive and HP would have to make up the difference. Of course, now there won't be the deadhead back to Evanston problem.

I noted that the last board meeting had a "report on 630" in the packet, and while it wasn't said what it was about, I predict that it is about that CMAQ grant ending. So, it might be that North Shore is down three routes at Braeside.

As far as equipment, no sign of the 2 hybrids that are supposed to be delivered to HP "by the end of the year" and how they would enter into this equation.

Well now a notice is up that routes 628 and 629 will be operated by Highland Park. So those Eldos aren't going anywhere now.

Strangely enough, HP has some NS Eldos this morning. I didn't see any reciprocal swap to NS on Webwatch, although a couple of shuttle routes were blank, and a couple of others had NABIs.

post-14-13200671864575_thumb.jpgpost-14-1320067205501_thumb.jpg

Only HP buses on HP routes this morning are 2632, 2634, 2638, 2639.

Strangely enough, HP has some NS Eldos this morning. I didn't see any reciprocal swap to NS on Webwatch...

Looking at the schedules (3 buses needed on 471 in the morning rush, 2 on 472), it looks like HP's net requirement went up one (lose a bus on 472, gain two for 628 and 629), but they got 2 from NS.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure which forum I should put this under, but as I arrived at Davis Purple Line station as I began my trip home, I saw Pace's bus #6155 retrofitted with the destination signs that Pace's NABIs have.

Actually, #6155 has been fitted with an amber front LED destination sign since early on in its life. The side destination sign, the run number board and the rear route number sign remain green LED flip dots.

Actually, #6155 has been fitted with an amber front LED destination sign since early on in its life. The side destination sign, the run number board and the rear route number sign remain green LED flip dots.

Actually the side destination sign was also amber LED. The run number is still green flip dot.

I know. They didn't make them like that the way they made the NABIs and El Dorados.

Being the last bus numerically in the original 2000-2001 delivery of the Orion VIs, #6155 was used experimentally with the destination signs and the seats. #6156-6161, although delivered in 2004 just as Daimler/Orion was about to discontinue the model, are equipped very much like all the other Pace Orion VIs #6000-6154.