NATO Summit on the Electric District

You know, I get some of the station closures, ie 27th, Mc Cormick, 18th and Museum Campus. But I don't get the Blue Island branch closure, nor the station closures on the South Chicago branch, unless it is a part of screening. I have been on vacation for the past couple of weeks, so I won't know what is really going on until I get back next week.

And why do we want this going on here ??? What is the real benefit ??? Thanks, Rham.

Plans

Schedule

Alternates

Maps

May the odds be in their favor (and yours, if that applies)...

At least this is more definitive than the Tribune saying 4 stations, but not listing them. I counted 5 on the ME main line (47th thru 11th).

Mike Payne won't be happy that not only the Blue Island branch will be down, but, because of that, there won't be any service on Monday between 111th and 63rd.

Of course, not to mention the numerous CTA reroutings due to "NATO related events" and "public gatherings." Is the latter a euphamism for "protesters with parade permits?" Update: Relevant here, since the Alternates document recommends using CTA buses, but states that many CTA buses will be rerouted during the summit.

Looks like a good weekend to stay home (unless home is in the central city) or take Amtrak to St. Louis Thursday night.

You know, I get some of the station closures, ie 27th, Mc Cormick, 18th and Museum Campus. But I don't get the Blue Island branch closure, nor the station closures on the South Chicago branch...

Tribune article cited above said that Metra had to free up the crews, I suppose to inspect luggage brought on in Harvey.

So far no teports of any schedule adjustments or station closures on the.NICTD.

With tegatd to the ME station closures on the Main line, these stations generate so little ridetship, as does both branch linrs, I wondet why these stations.exist anymore? It isn't like Metra promotes these services, they don't. Some might cry racism but the ridership numbers don't lie. I think Metra should seriously look at making the branch closings and mainline closings between 63rd and 111th permanent, with NO Gray,Gold, or Silver Line proposals ever coming forth.

So far no teports of any schedule adjustments or station closures on the.NICTD.

With tegatd to the ME station closures on the Main line, these stations generate so little ridetship, as does both branch linrs, I wondet why these stations.exist anymore? It isn't like Metra promotes these services, they don't. Some might cry racism but the ridership numbers don't lie. I think Metra should seriously look at making the branch closings and mainline closings between 63rd and 111th permanent, with NO Gray,Gold, or Silver Line proposals ever coming forth.

NICTD is still trying to figure out what they are going to do. I don't know what the hassle is with them, unless they are worried about not gettin inbound between 1 and 6 on Monday (for whatever reason).

As for the main line, that would not be correct. There is actually quite a bit that rides in that zone and the 2 hour spread during the day is sufficient. On Saturday, though, there should be no BI service because, yes, ridership is very weak, especially on the branch. Mainline trains should be making the flag stops south of 59th then, similar to what they do every night.

... Mainline trains should be making the flag stops south of 59th then, similar to what they do every night.

I don't know how much trains have to slow for the operator to see if there is anyone on the platform, but I'm sure that the mainline riders south of 115th aren't going to be too happy with it. On the other hand, late at night, people are generally glad that there is a train.

You know, I get some of the station closures, ie 27th, Mc Cormick, 18th and Museum Campus. But I don't get the Blue Island branch closure, nor the station closures on the South Chicago branch, unless it is a part of screening. I have been on vacation for the past couple of weeks, so I won't know what is really going on until I get back next week.

And why do we want this going on here ??? What is the real benefit ??? Thanks, Rham.

Thank Rahm and thank your president! There is no benefit to Chicago! No benefit from having these thousands of hoodlums coming here causing brainless mayhem. Ive taken G8/NATO training at the fire Dept. Ive seen the videos of the trouble these people cause. Anyone would be shocked by what these people are capable of to get their point across. Its not worth all this! Out of all the headaches we'll be subjected to, by crippling part of our mass transit system is just ridiculous! This is a complete joke in my opinion!.

It's always humorous to see how up in arms people get when there is a temporary switch to the normal routine. And it's also interesting to see how quick whole groups of folks who are exercising what is a First Amendment constitutional right get labeled as hoodlums because in a lot of cases when trouble brews it's because there are a small number among them who don't have the decorum to voice their disagreements with whatever as sane adults and therefore tensions rise. Now as reported today, yes there were tensions with some injuries and about 45 arrests so far today added to 19 the days before but most of the protesters out were overall peaceful in their actions and the city is still standing. A lot of people who had the option took this as an opportunity to stay home from work because of the street closures and various transit reroutes and station closures.

Now the purpose of this is to work out how the more powerful nations of the Western world will find ways to behave themselves and get the war in Afghanistan ended. The benefits theoretically are cultural in showing the world that we have a beautiful city that is worth visiting and economic in the form of loads of people, from possibly the world leaders themselves, their spouses, their staffs, the people connected to the media outlets covering the event, and on down to even those "hoodlum" protesters that behave themselves, spending money in local businesses here in our city. Now if there are any criticisms, I would say it would be with the city on doing better coordination with the people who live within the affected areas in getting word out to them, because not every person is going to make it to a small number of community meetings, about parking restrictions and where protesters would be allowed to gather so they could make proper arrangements on what to do with their cars during the parking bans or maybe even take an unofficial vacation and get out of town altogether if they could.