Chicago Transit Authority Updates: II

CURRENTZ_09

Read this http://forum.chicagobus.org/topic/2768-chicago-transit-authority-updates/page__p__35726&#entry35726, as we continue this discussion, it seems i posted a comment about connections and it got shut down, so lets continue the discussion at the discretion of the site adminisator and the Chicago Transit Authority. This is where we can have a decent conversation about the happening within the CTA. Hope you guys enjoy and don't be afraid to address the issues at hand.

Here's What to expect in the next coming months

Opening of Morgan/Lake (End of May, most likely after Memorial Day)

The continued roll out of the 5000-series and the NEW Connections (youtube.com/ctaconnections)

CTA Reconstruction Projects (Loop Renewal, North-Red Station Re-habs and the reveal of the Dan Ryan Renewal Project Fall 2012)

New CTA Bus Schedules & Brochure Maps (either June or July)

The 2013 CTA Budget Process

So, shall we get this show on the road and continue our discussions

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a Red Line Dan Ryan Project Handout. My question is are these already out at Rail Stations across the CTA?

The SKOKIE CHAMBER JUNE 2012 NEWSLETTER details the Opening Celebration of the Oakton-Skokie Station on Sunday June 24th, 2012 (look at page 7 for detailed information about the celebration)

Also, the CTA Downtown Sightseeing Guide has been updated for 2012, they should be out at CTA rail stations now. Look for an Updated CTA Bus & Rail Map and Wacker Drive reconstruction Project Brochure in Late June-early July

SKOKIE CHAMBER JUNE 2012 NEWSLETTER.pdf

Edited by Kevin
CTA publications can be found at transitchicago.com. Please do not republish here.

• 1 month later...

Finally, after more than a year old, the CTA Bus &Rail map will be updated September 2012 and will finally acknowledge the new Morgan and Oakton stations. Lets also hope they add something about the retirement of the 2200 series and introduction of the 5000 series (possibly creating a special Bus & Rail map just dedicated to the rail system would be nice as a seperate specialized onetime map along with the regular map and make the foremention map a limited print series). Also, the revamped Granville Station will reopen Friday July 13th 2012 at 10:00 pm. The Next Red Line South Community Meeting is atSaturday July 14t th at the national teachers academy between 10:00 am to Noon at 55 W. Cermak.

Finally, after more than a year old, the CTA Bus &Rail map will be updated September 2012 and will finally acknowledge the new Morgan and Oakton stations. Lets also hope they add something about the retirement of the 2200 series and introduction of the 5000 series (possibly creating a special Bus & Rail map just dedicated to the rail system would be nice as a seperate specialized onetime map along with the regular map and make the foremention map a limited print series). Also, the revamped Granville Station will reopen Friday July 13th 2012 at 10:00 pm. The Next Red Line South Community Meeting is atSaturday July 14t th at the national teachers academy between 10:00 am to Noon at 55 W. Cermak.

After a year you'd think they could get it updated sooner than September.

After a year you'd think they could get it updated sooner than September.

Exactly, i asked the CTA about this in May when Oakton and Morgan opened and at the time they weren't sure when the revised maps would be out. Its about time they got to it period. The next change after that will be sooner than later which is estimated to come May 2013 when the Red Line Shutsdown until September 2013, when another update is anticipated with the reopening of the Dan Ryan

(possibly creating a special Bus & Rail map just dedicated to the rail system would be nice as a seperate specialized onetime map along with the regular map and make the foremention map a limited print series).

The cost of contracting out the graphic design and setting up the print shop is too expensive to make a "limited print series."

CTA is a transit system, not a baseball card company.

• Upvote 2

Just a suggestion, not a "hey i hope it happens"

As I said before, buy enough subject to Illinois sales tax that CTA can afford to support your hobby. But, it appears that CTA has already pledged those revenues.

I used to like collecting that stuff too, in the 1970s, but the Internet has eliminated much of CTA's need to print it.

They might put a 5000 on the cover of a new map, but since it doesn't look much different from a 3200, 99% of the riders don't care.

As I said before, buy enough subject to Illinois sales tax that CTA can afford to support your hobby. But, it appears that CTA has already pledged those revenues.

I used to like collecting that stuff too, in the 1970s, but the Internet has eliminated much of CTA's need to print it.

They might put a 5000 on the cover of a new map, but since it doesn't look much different from a 3200, 99% of the riders don't care.

I agree but it would be nice to acknowledge both 2200 and 5000 series but we'll all have to wait till September to find out will we?

I agree but it would be nice to acknowledge both 2200 and 5000 series but we'll all have to wait till September to find out will we?

I suppose they should have a farewell edition for the NABIs, too :lol:, but except for something like the reopening of the Green Line, CTA doesn't celebrate stuff, and certainly not hauling off to the scrapper. In fact, when the original (1969) Dan Ryan map came out, there wasn't any picture on the front, just a bold legend "Dan Ryan Edition." And I still have that.

post-14-13421955874151_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Enclosed is a Greyhound Express timetable for Milwaukee-Chicago. The last time i was in Chicago i missed my ride home because that trip wasn't an Express, so i had to wait almost 2 hours (close to midnight no less) to get back to Milwaukee. Please note, some trips are not express and have a different boarding area in Chicago, not the Express boarding area, so please check the schedule and make sure that your arrival or departure meets your requirements. Also, some trips have been elminiated, so please check the schedule carefully. Greyhound DOES NOT have a printed timetable, so i created one for people that use transit to travel.

Greyhound Express Chicago-Milwaukee Summer 2012.pdf

No Future meetings in the immedate future for the following CTA Projects

Thank you for your interest in the RPM and Red Line Extension Projects.

CTA is currently preparing Draft Environmental Impact Statements (EIS) for both projects. As part of the Draft EIS process, there will be community update meetings and project newsletters to inform the public about the project and provide the community opportunities to voice their opinions. No public meetings are currently scheduled for either the project.

Please visit our project webpages at www.transitchicago.com/Redeis and http://www.transitchicago.com/rpmproject/ to learn more about the projects and to follow the progress of the Draft Environmental Impact Statements. We will continue to update the webpage with new information as it becomes available along with announcements for future public meetings.

Thank you again for your interest.

Chicago Transit Authority

Red and Purple Modernization (RPM)

Improving your commute. Improving your community.

www.transitchicago.com/RPMproject

RPM@transitchicago.com

• 1 month later...

Beginning September 2, 2012, updated schedules will go into effect for many CTA bus routes. We routinely adjust schedules several times each year to help make service operate more efficiently and to account for seasonal ridership patterns.

These advance schedules are provided as a courtesy, particularly for our customers who travel during off-peak hours. No changes to 'L' train schedules are being implemented at this time.

Weekday-only routes having their schedules updated will see schedules become effective September 4; the #10 Museum of Science & Industry route will have a new schedule September 8.

http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_information/service_changes/20120902.aspx

Also, after 13 months in operation, the CTA Bus & Rail Map will FINALLY be updated with the effective date "September 2012". Look for them beginning the week of August 27th, 2012

From CTA Customer Service about the CTA Bus & Rail Map

Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, it is. The new map will be online the first week of September, and paper copies will be available the first or second week of September.

Assuming that proposed changes are coming on Sunday December 16th, 2012, the next edition of the CTA Bus & Rail map would be around December reflecting the changes along with the Bus & Rail timetables being updated on December 16th, 2012. Then the next revision for the Bus & Rail map would reflect the Red Line South Shutdown in May 2013.

It's about time that they got the map together and hope that they continue to update annually (Twice a year as stated on the Maps or when ever service adjustments as need.)

Remember Tuesday September 4th, 2012 it's free rides for all CPD students for the first day back and at 6:00 pm, join the CTA for a information session on the proposed Reduction plan that could take effect Sunday December 16th, 2012 at the CTA Headquarters. Be sure to attend and voice your opinion, because the CTA Board could approve these changes at their next board Meeting on September 12th at 10:00 am. If you don't voice your opinion, then expect all the changes to go through. For more information and maps on the Reduction Plan, go to transitchicago.com and on their homepage, click on the Reduction Plan icon for a detailed map and presentation on the plan.

post-670-13465241647385_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Did the CTA release this map @ rail stations yet??

Haven't seen it just yet. Then again I often times view new system maps as needed from the CTA website when they haven't yet come to a high enough circulation level. What I do notice is that CTA has returned to using Helvetica for the first time in years to list bus routes and to display the route numbers on the route itself. Also the Jeffery Jump gets displayed in blue on the map and map legends give a generic "Jump Route" for it, giving the impression that future faux BRT routes will be identified as a Jump route.

Let's hope the fare information is updated before print release...

The web version still has the pre-Jan. 14 fare structure. I found it odd they didn't just wait to publish the map in any form until after the new fare rates go into effect next Monday. At any rate, I've only seen it in pdf form on the web so it shouldn't be too hard to change the fare section if they haven't already started printing them in paper form despite the effective date on the map being Dec. 2012.

The web version still has the pre-Jan. 14 fare structure. I found it odd they didn't just wait to publish the map in any form until after the new fare rates go into effect next Monday. At any rate, I've only seen it in pdf form on the web so it shouldn't be too hard to change the fare section if they haven't already started printing them in paper form despite the effective date on the map being Dec. 2012.

#Exactly, but then that would cost money to reprint those maps to reflect the fare changes when the brochure clearly covers the fare changes. They were in conflict with the Crowd Reduction Plan & The Fare changes

A & Q session from CTA Customer Service. My questions had to deal with The Historical Calendar & rather they will produce printed versions for 2013 & will the Bus & Rail map reflect the January 14 fare changes

Thank you again for your e-mail. The 2013 Historical Calendar is available at the link provided in our first response. CTA does not provide printed copies.

Your map request will be processed and mailed by our Customer Service Department. Please note that our current map is dated December 2012 and does not reflect the fare changes that will take effect on January 14, 2013.

CTA FEEDBACK TEAM

Please Note: CTA has produced a 2013 fare changes brochure to detail the January 14 changes

post-670-13577664638629_thumb.jpg