OnDemand & VanGo (formerly known as Call & RIde)

MetroShadow

New call and ride to debut this month. This time, Vernon Hills and Mundelein.

Pace May Minutes foreshadowed that, also ones to be added to Arlington Heights the Steger area.

It hits me as a big strange that the first announcement would be the 272 cutback, but that's how it goes.

Also, I guess this makes more sense than the numerous shuttles that failed (such as 575 and 581).

It hits me as a big strange that the first announcement would be the 272 cutback, but that's how it goes.

Also, I guess this makes more sense than the numerous shuttles that failed (such as 575 and 581).

Only a segment elimination in exchange for the CNR. I didn't think that segment was productive to begin with (but what were you supposed to do when 580/581/582 were canned?)

At least Vernon Hills (south of the mall) gets a bus back (albeit you have to call for one).

Only a segment elimination in exchange for the CNR. I didn't think that segment was productive to begin with (but what were you supposed to do when 580/581/582 were canned?)

At least Vernon Hills (south of the mall) gets a bus back (albeit you have to call for one).

Ah, the old chicken and egg problem. Probably more relevant to whether the west Wheaton CNR caused or resulted from cutting back 301/747.

Anyway, from the way the map looks, either someone riding on 272 NB decides to walk across Milwaukee Ave., or rides on to Hawthorne and gets on the CNR that's supposed to have a time point there

Update: With the proposed Arlington Heights one, we'll have to see if they will do anything with 696, with which Pace wasn't too happy a couple of years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

For the trivia buffs out there, the new schedules as a result of this rename 272 to Milwaukee Ave. North instead of Golf Mill - Westfield Shoppingtown Hawthorn - Milwaukee Ave Corridor, and 572 gets Grayslake added to the middle of its name

As a practical matter, doesn't mean anything.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Next time I'm at Hawthorne, I'll keep an eye out for these. I want to say I've seen one at CLC-Grayslake, but my memory could be wrong.

The zone only goes as far north as Hawley Street in Mundelein (EJ&E tracks in Vernon Hills), so that was probably something else. Also, the pamphlet implies transferring to 572 to get to CLC.

Next time I'm at Hawthorne, I'll keep an eye out for these. I want to say I've seen one at CLC-Grayslake, but my memory could be wrong.

That one should be the Round Lake call in ride with timed transfers to 570 and/or 572. The mundelein one allows for transfers to 572 and/or 272 at Hawthorne (as mentioned), but best bet is to go through the mall to CLC. Hawley and CLC are still miles apart.

• 9 years later...

Board discussion of expansion of the Naperville-Aurora On Demand, again noting that one of several objectives is to replace the feeder routes to the Route 59 and Naperville stations. The new things are multiple vehicles and operation by a Pace division, although in the discussion of labor shortages in Du Page, Metzger sounded ambiguous about which one.

• MetroShadow changed the title to OnDemand & VanGo (formerly known as Call & RIde)
  • 2 weeks later...

New Pace page on VanGo. The main new thing is that the territories are restricted to  Deerfield Road to Dundee Road and Waukegan Road to Milwaukee Ave. for Lake-Cook, and Conway Farms from the Lake Forest UPN station, although you get a 10 mile radius from the station to go to lunch. The literature also points out that traditional vanpool may be cheaper if you are going to work 5 days a week.

• 4 weeks later...

I went by Lake-Cook to scope this out. 2 Dodge vans (white and gray) and 2 Ford Transits, parked in the area where the cage used to be (i.e. near the Home Depot), so one may need a van to get to the vans.?

front.thumb.jpg.832a80dc95b48902f06848df0941dc35.jpg

rear.thumb.jpg.29cddf398c9e5d2c41f45f4eaf04721e.jpg

Also, the RTA style bus stop signs were taped over.

busstop.thumb.jpg.d937ec8265c8fa41af51825a538bfa7c.jpg

• 8 months later...

Metzger mentioned at the March meeting that VanGo is at Palatine, and will be from Hamilton Lakes to both CTA and the Itasca Metra. So, again, no 616.

Also, the TNC pilots are for late night connections between O'Hare Cargo facility and Rosemonr, and from Harvey TC, using accessible minivans.

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

Metzger mentioned at the March meeting that VanGo is at Palatine, and will be from Hamilton Lakes to both CTA and the Itasca Metra. So, again, no 616.

Also, the TNC pilots are for late night connections between O'Hare Cargo facility and Rosemonr, and from Harvey TC, using accessible minivans.

Apparently the late night 332s are done as well.  Could weekend service be next?

38 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Apparently the late night 332s are done as well.  Could weekend service be next?

As the Press Release says:

While both areas are already served by Pace fixed routes, these pilots offer first-/last-mile service and operate throughout nighttime and early morning hours when regular service is limited. “If this goes well, obviously we want to try to identify other areas that are similar,” said Chairman Rick Kwasneski. “Throughout the region there are these little gaps, especially where there are three shifts.” The pilots will help Pace determine whether it is suitable, cost-effective, and efficient to incorporate this service type into Pace's family of services.

It's about the lack of Owl service, not cutting back what service there now is. (In the Harvey case, it's because connecting services don't exist when the overnight 352s drop riders off at the Harvey TC; similarly, the last NB 332 is about 11:30 p.m.). In fact, with construction finally happening on the O'Hare Western Access, Director Marcucchi suggested extending service into DuPage County.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/29/2023 at 12:30 PM, Busjack said:

The Harvey and O'Hare TNCs are now called Pace Connect, and the announcement says there is an app for that. I thought everything was supposed to be in the Transit app, but I guess not yet.

Passenger Notice that the Harvey Pace Connect will take riders anywhere in the zone, and not just to or from the Transit Center.

• 1 month later...