3200-series - Updates

sw4400

14 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

Just rode 3213-14 on the Brown Line this evening and it's fully rehabbed without the LED run number box (very questionable). The acceleration sounded very different but not as much similar to the 5000s due to the fact that they (3200s) weren't made by Bombardier. 

Really? The ones I were only made a very faint high pitch whine. Did these make a different sound? Did they feel any different?

10 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Just rode 3213-14 on the Brown Line this evening and it's fully rehabbed without the LED run number box (very questionable). The acceleration sounded very different but not as much similar to the 5000s due to the fact that they (3200s) weren't made by Bombardier. 

Well they're not AC powered cars, so they wouldn't whine. I wonder why those didn't go to the Orange line. I'm going to have start calling them Blue line south, because the Brown line has virtually all the LED equipped sign cars as well as the fully rehabbed ones. The only thing Orange line has is #3207-08 and possibly #3225-26 that I have yet to see, but no fully rehabbed ones.

14 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Well they're not AC powered cars, so they wouldn't whine. I wonder why those didn't go to the Orange line. I'm going to have start calling them Blue line south, because the Brown line has virtually all the LED equipped sign cars as well as the fully rehabbed ones. The only thing Orange line has is #3207-08 and possibly #3225-26 that I have yet to see, but no fully rehabbed ones.

There could still be a noticeably different motor whine than before.  If the motors were recently rebuilt/rewound or replaced, it could produce a noticeably different noise.  I had to rewind a DC motor for a project a few years ago and it was much noisier when I was done.  I'd imagine scaling the motor up to a much larger version would produce the same result.

• Upvote 1

On 12/4/2015 at 10:13 AM, BusHunter said:

Well they're not AC powered cars, so they wouldn't whine.

Rather, they're not digital motors. DC motors can whine, and analog AC motors typically don't.

Here's a video I took a while back of my DC model train set, which you can hear if you turn the volume up...

I guess they can whine (remembering some #2200's) but it's not excessive whining that you can hear easily, It's also a different pitch. Streetcars motors I believe have a more distinct whine, but it's different than an AC whine. The AC whine is more energetic, like a power cell. That's the only way I can describe it.

#3271-72 were fully rehabbed tonight on the Brown line. They must have delivered another 8 cars, so we need to keep a look out. There seemed to be noticeably more newer rehabbed #3200's. I spotted 3 straight consists with a rehabbed car and 2 straight consists later on. It seems all the rehabbed cars are on the ends of the consists. I also seen my first 8 car brown line consist with all new LED signs. If #3453-54 was not on the led sign list, we can include it now.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the brown line doesn't have many cars running in service lately. I counted about 13 or 14, 8 car consists yesterday in service and frequency is like 10 minutes. Frequency used to be higher before. I wonder just how many cars are out for rehab? I counted counting the yard around 130 cars, so what then 30-40 cars are out for rehab?

19 hours ago, BusHunter said:

#3345-46 is now fully rehabbed head car currently leaving at Chicago/franklin nb.

You know #3345-46 was one of the 98th #3200 cars that were stranded at 98th. I was trying to think of the other 3 married pairs in that consist. I think they were #3401-02 (already rehabbed) #3271-72 (already rehabbed) and I believe #3363-64 (mia) cause it was at lower 63rd yard.  I was reading #3345-46 went to Skokie on 7/30, so it took them 5 months to rehab it. #3363-64 must be around here somewhere. Usually they deliver from Skokie in 8 car consists, So I've located so far out of the last consist #3345-46, #3395-96, and #3271-72, so I'm missing the last 2 cars. It might be that married pair. I guess I'll have to keep watch.

On 1/7/2016 at 0:43 PM, BusHunter said:

It looks like the brown line doesn't have many cars running in service lately. I counted about 13 or 14, 8 car consists yesterday in service and frequency is like 10 minutes. Frequency used to be higher before. I wonder just how many cars are out for rehab? I counted counting the yard around 130 cars, so what then 30-40 cars are out for rehab?

Yeah, tell me about it. I've been late to class every day this week because I keep missing the first one and the next one is like 10+ minutes away. Especially nasty when you have to wait in this frigid weather with a below-zero wind chill.

1 hour ago, briman94 said:

Yeah, tell me about it. I've been late to class every day this week because I keep missing the first one and the next one is like 10+ minutes away. Especially nasty when you have to wait in this frigid weather with a below-zero wind chill.

Service was pretty good yesterday. I seem to be noticing more LED destination signs on the cars unless it's just my imagination. But if you figure that 40 cars are out for rehab, they most likely are the ones with rollsigns, and then if you figure 60 or so have the LED signs, that's around half of what's left at least on the Brown. 

1 minute ago, BusHunter said:

Service was pretty good yesterday. I seem to be noticing more LED destination signs on the cars unless it's just my imagination. But if you figure that 40 cars are out for rehab, they most likely are the ones with rollsigns, and then 60 or so have the LED signs then that around half of what's left at least on the Brown. 

Yeah, there are quite a lot with LEDs now. I've seen numerous trains where all 8 cars have LEDs.

5 minutes ago, briman94 said:

Yeah, there are quite a lot with LEDs now. I've seen numerous trains where all 8 cars have LEDs.

Yeah it's 74 not 60 cars that have been retrofitted (I just looked at the list) so out approximately 130 that's more like a 55-60 percent chance the car one would ride would have the new signs. I was looking at the consists and the rehabbed cars are consistently at the ends and so are LED signed cars so it may end up those rollsign cars that are left may become the belly cars for a few months anyway.

Just now, BusHunter said:

Yeah it's 74 not 60 cars that have been retrofitted (I just looked at the list) so out approximately 130 that's more like 55-60 percent  chance the car one would ride would have the new signs. I was looking at the consists and the rehabbed cars are consistently at the ends and so are LED signed cars so it may end up those rollsign cars that are left may become the belly cars for a few months anyway.

I've seen more rehabbed cars in the middle in the past week or so than at the ends. Shame because you can't see the new run boxes.

Getting LED signs and run number boxes is nice and all, but I'm still waiting for more cars to get the whole treatment (new LED interior lights, fixed-up components, and rebuilt motors that apparently have jet engines in them :ph34r:). Though it sounds like this will be sooner than later with all the cars missing from Kimball Yard. When the project was announced, I remember talking about the idea of subbing cars from other lines to cover for missing 3200s, but I guess that's a bit harder to do with only 2600s and 5000s.

13 hours ago, briman94 said:

On the bright side, it should be warming up just a bit soon. I hope. But a 10 minute wait for the Brown Line sounds unheard of to me (I don't know how bad it was during the 3 track operation though).

Come up here and stand around at the Woodstock Metra station for a bit and see how you do...

I saw #3395-3396 going Loop-bound from Rockwell this evening. I thought they were fully rehabbed because they both had LED interior lighting and LED signs, but the run boxes were not upgraded. Regular ol' roll-sign boxes. I don't know if the A/C or motors were rehabbed or not (no real way to tell) but it definitely was not fully rehabbed. I guess they're just staggering the rehabs as they get components in and not bothering to actually fully rehab these cars before sending them back into service.

18 hours ago, briman94 said:

I saw #3395-3396 going Loop-bound from Rockwell this evening. I thought they were fully rehabbed because they both had LED interior lighting and LED signs, but the run boxes were not upgraded. Regular ol' roll-sign boxes. I don't know if the A/C or motors were rehabbed or not (no real way to tell) but it definitely was not fully rehabbed. I guess they're just staggering the rehabs as they get components in and not bothering to actually fully rehab these cars before sending them back into service.

Okay, just by chance I got these cars on the way home. Ride feels smooth, so it may have new motors. Doors are rehabbed too (new seals, etc). I think the A/C is also rehabbed.

But not the run boxes...WTF?